PDA

View Full Version : There's paper patching, and then there is paper patching

Buckshot
08-25-2008, 02:18 AM
.................The first paper patching I ever did was when I'd aquired a MkIV Martini Henry in (what else?) 577-450. I had purchased Paul Matthews book. Read it, and it seemed pretty straight forward to me. Anyway, it seemed that not too long after I had gotten my Martini, and my old friend and rangemaster Kenny, got one also. We discussed paper patching, and I showed him some of mine and lent him the book.

What was so funny was that one day when I showed up at the range, Ken said he was going to shoot his Martini in our little informal offhand cast boolit match. Not too long later I saw his ammo. He had patched up Lee 405gr slugs and used the 4 color slick advertising inserts so common with the Sunday news paper. Those slugs were sure purty :-)! In addition his filler was a half sheet of TP. At each shot he unleashed a veritable BLIZZARD of paper. I found it very entertaining.

At one of the NCBS shoots a couple years back Ammohead was just to my right. I forget if I was shooting some venue, or just shooting. Ammohead was shooting a rifle also. Anyway I was shooting a 45-70 with patched boolits and a card wad on the base. The powder charge had a dacron filler. I didn't know it but the wind was just right, and poor ole Ammohead was getting a facefull at each shot.

I didn't realize anything about it until he laid his rifle down and said "Jiminy Christmas (or words to that effect) Rick, what in the hell are those loaded with!?"

................Buckshot

docone31
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Hehehe, the things we learn at the range
I went to one of my favourite IHMSA matches with my brandy new Dan Wesson .357 Supermag, all happy, joyful, and ready to fire an hand cannon.
I literally covered my fellow competitor to the right with copper shards, hot, sharp, and penetrating.
Something about cylinder lockup and timing. I never knew such things could occur!
The next day, Monday, I took a trip up to Monson Mass. They gave me a cup of coffee, sat me down, and 1/2 hr later handed me my pistol. Complete with trigger job. Never did it again.
I have pretty much restricted my paper patching to my .303 Enfield. Two wraps of tracing paper. I have yet to find any paper pieces. I actually want to to see any signature on the pieces.
I am trying to duplicate jacketed load performance and I enjoy the daylights out of casting.
No one knows I paper patch at the range.