PDA

View Full Version : Whooeee! What a great day!

mugsie
08-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Checking my stock yesterday I found I was low on 45 ACP, so I decided to cast a few. Took me an hour with a Lyman two cavity 452460 mold but I cranked out approx 200, all water quenched. I just picked this mold up a while back and this was the first serious session I had with it. Had some trouble dropping out of one cavity but it probably has a small burr or something - I'll look at it tomorrow.

I shoot my 45 ACP out of a Black Hawk convertable (45LC / 45ACP). In the past I had tried (forgive me) purchased cast bullets for 45 ACP - they never shot well and I thought it was due to the longer jump for this cylinder. Well anyway, I lubed them up last night and loaded the entire 200 this morning. 5.2g of Tightgroup - nice easy load.

Took em' to the range today and at 25 yards I coulda shot the eyes out of a gnat! They were unbeliveably accurate. After 50 rounds, checked the barrel and zero leading! Never happened before. Incidentilly, I used home made Felix lube.

It feels great to cast my own, lube em, reload em' and shoot em. Now if I could make my own primers and powder I'd be all set!

I would like to thank all of you for helping edukate me - I hit the perfect combination in my BH. What a great day it was. Thanks everyone. Thank you....

docone31
08-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I know the feeling. My .45ACPs did the same thing.
Dead on, no leading. Cleaning was boring.
I was so psyched.
Merely sizing at .452 did the trick.

Shiloh
08-24-2008, 09:15 PM
My most accurate is the S&W 625 with the moon clips. Just as accurate as the auto rim brass.

Feels great to scavenge, cast, load and shoot accurate boolits on the cheap!! I contrubute this to the loose sight on the 1911 that I can't tighten permanently.

Shiloh

MtGun44
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
My 2 cav 452460 casts some of the most accurate .45ACP loads I have
ever shot. Doesn't necessarily do it in all of my 1911s, but in my Dan Wesson
they will do about 1.5" at 25 yds with 3.5 TG. Groups open with a full load
of 4.8 TG, but are still good. This is a very good boolit.

After reading your post, I will have to try it in my BH convertible!

Bill