PDA

View Full Version : Sorry but I must gloat!!

azrednek
01-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Had to get out of bed in the middle of the night and turn on the heat for just a few minutes. It was hard to handle cold temperatures dropping to the mid 50's after dealing with mid day temps in the mid to high 70's all week. BTW, it never snows in Phoenix!! 🤠🤠

Hannibal
01-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Travelled thru Phoenix once during my military service to see the Grand Canyon. Biggest doggone hole in the ground I ever did see.

Not much inspired by sand, cacti and flat land, so I returned to the Midwest once my service was up.

I imagine you think no better of 'flyover' country.

To each their own.

I often see temperatures of well over 100 and much less than -0- within a single calendar year.

And folks think Alaska is 'extreme' . [smilie=s:

lefty o
01-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Had to get out of bed in the middle of the night and turn on the heat for just a few minutes. It was hard to handle cold temperatures dropping to the mid 50's after dealing with mid day temps in the mid to high 70's all week. BTW, it never snows in Phoenix!! ����

it may have been down to -16 or -17 a few times this week, but i wont feel sorry for ya when its 110 or more in phoenix!!

starmac
01-07-2018, 01:31 AM
Travelled thru Phoenix once during my military service to see the Grand Canyon. Biggest doggone hole in the ground I ever did see.

Not much inspired by sand, cacti and flat land, so I returned to the Midwest once my service was up.

I imagine you think no better of 'flyover' country.

To each their own.

I often see temperatures of well over 100 and much less than -0- within a single calendar year.

And folks think Alaska is 'extreme' . [smilie=s:

If you want extremes, try 60 or 70 below too 100 above. lol It is rare that Fairbanks gets to a hundred, but it has happened, 80 is entirely tooooooo hot.

starmac
01-07-2018, 04:12 AM
As far as the rain, yup I have seen it, twice in 79 in Houston, at least one time it broke the worlds record since they have kept records.
No tornados here but I have spent a lot of time in tornado country and seen the affects, hurricanes too.
fires, we get our fair share of them, more some years than others, but they burn a lot of country some years .
The coldest I have personally seen here is 60 below, but it has been colder, I think the hottest I have personally seen here is maybe 88 or 9, I do not recall it actually hitting 90 while I have been here, but it has hit 100 several times.
Here 80 feels hot, 88 is unbearable here for the most part, thankfully we do not have that many days that hot.

azrednek
01-07-2018, 04:45 AM
Getting a bit chilly here at 1:30 AM. Guess it's time to close the windows and back door. Only had to run my car's A/C for about 10 minutes this afternoon after leaving it parked in the sunlight at the grocery store. ��

sav300
01-07-2018, 06:36 AM
Dowmtowm Kurri Kurri NSW,43+ today and 40+ again monday.ps thats celcus!

kbstenberg
01-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Yesterday was the second day since 12-18-17 That the high got above 0. Nights were always -30's temp -40/50 windchill. The only snakes I see are snow snakes.

Blanket
01-07-2018, 09:46 AM
kind of like saying that living in hell for the weather

bdicki
01-07-2018, 10:03 AM
I've been there in the summer, kinda hot.

RED BEAR
01-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Gloat away ! I sort of like the different seasons. And I seem to rember some stories about being so hot in summer that car tires melted and poped .

Minerat
01-09-2018, 08:28 PM
It reached 73f today at my office in Denver from a low of 32f last night. Summer time in Colorado!!:veryconfu snow predicted tomorrow night.

leadman
01-09-2018, 08:58 PM
AZ, I live in Phoenix and have seen it snow here. Might last 5 minutes on the ground at the most. Had the water line from the filter system in the garage to the house freeze up overnight a couple of times. Thawed out pretty fast the next day though.
Sure beats the temperatures though from my 30 years in Michigan. Now if it would just stay under 90 in the summer we would have it made!
I did turn my car air conditioner on when I left the grocery store this afternoon. I must be spoiled!

smokeywolf
01-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Only thing I'll miss about Mexifornia is the weather.

We did get a bit of rain in over the past 48 hours. 5 inches.

Tom W.
01-09-2018, 09:25 PM
I saw on Fox news that it snowed in the Sahara desert........

MaryB
01-09-2018, 09:57 PM
All the TV shows about how extreme Alaska is... Minnesota has the same climate LOL

richhodg66
01-09-2018, 10:36 PM
All the TV shows about how extreme Alaska is... Minnesota has the same climate LOL

Depending on where you are in Alaska, Minnesota is worse. I was stationed in Anchorage which is kind of the tropical part, and guys from places like upstate New York and Minnesota used to walk around in short sleeves in Winter and talk about how mild it was. Had block heaters in both cars when we moved to Kansas and I think I plugged them in more here that first Winter than I did in Anchorage.

I love Kansas, but the Winters can sometimes be a bit much for me. I would tend to err of the side of being too hot than too cold. I always liked the desert southwest a lot, but I like where I am better.

smokeywolf
01-09-2018, 11:40 PM
I already know that my arthritis would never allow me to live where subzero temps are not uncommon.

azrednek
01-10-2018, 12:51 AM
Gloat away ! I sort of like the different seasons. And I seem to rember some stories about being so hot in summer that car tires melted and poped .

I do miss having four seasons. Only have two seasons in my neck of the woods, hot and cold. The stories about tires melting, frying eggs on the sidewalk etc are just wives tales. I drove around nearly all day when Phx officially reached 122. On the three days in a row of 120. The humidity was nearly nonexistent and air conditioners and swamp coolers worked great. It's been several years since there has been a freeze warning. Cooled down a little today but it's still convertible top down weather.

leadman
01-11-2018, 10:05 AM
My dispatcher went home sick on the 122 degree day so I was doing the dispatching of wreckers, tire people, etc. There were so many stalled vehicles on the freeways the wreckers could not get to them. Even the Mayor's car was stalling and it took almost 5 hours for the driver to get it off the freeway. Had an ambulance stalled at a fire and told the crew to get everyone they could to push it out of the way of the fire. Even the planes quit flying.
The fuel was a cause of most of the stalling as it had too much enthanol that the cars of the day did not like. The diesels were using JP4 which did not work out well.
I do like the weather here most of the time but this past summer seemed hotter than most to me. I know I would not fare well in really cold weather now, but did well for 30 years in Michigan until we moved in 1981. If I want to cool off we can just drive north for a few hours or so.

nekshot
01-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Gloat away! I love 4 distinct seasons and trees and green grass. I do miss going up into the mountains as we did in PA but here we go down into the mountain!

MT Gianni
01-11-2018, 03:57 PM
What a shame to miss out of the joy of standing on ice fighting fish. Kind of like bragging about my place when it hits 85 on a hot day for three hours then cools off to 55 at night. Most of us live where we want to.

azrednek
01-11-2018, 04:12 PM
I saw on Fox news that it snowed in the Sahara desert........

Bet that gave Al Gore a migraine!!

RGrosz
01-11-2018, 04:28 PM

When we had AT in MN one year, the guys out of the 172 LID (we were their roundout), came down from FT. Greely AK. They had a time getting adjusted, to much humidity. We had a time adjusting to the weather to. We weren't used to that cold weather. We were sleeping in tents at 30-79 below F. Got a tee shirt saying we survived 59 Below from the BG. Our met station read 79 below that morning on their thermometer. That was in Camp Ripley MN.
Rob

Littleton Shot Maker
01-11-2018, 04:28 PM
The year we moved to Tucson , 86/87? hard to remember , too many moves- now
IT SNOWED IN town, all around us for a day or two on Christmas day. and flowers on the cactus at the same time. what a great year and some very pretty pictures.

Was the earth warming up in 86-87?? or was that still the ICE AGE in the late 1980's?

RedlegEd
01-11-2018, 09:11 PM
The year we moved to Tucson , 86/87? hard to remember , too many moves- now
IT SNOWED IN town, all around us for a day or two on Christmas day. and flowers on the cactus at the same time. what a great year and some very pretty pictures.
Was the earth warming up in 86-87?? or was that still the ICE AGE in the late 1980's?
I grew up in Tucson and there's nothing prettier than snow in the Catalinas and the Sonoran desert! Ed

AllanD
01-12-2018, 03:57 AM
Meanwhile in the hills of pennsylvanisa, I had to get up for the same reason, sort-of, the temp in my bedroom had dropped to the mid 40's and I had to go outside for another 40# of coal to throw on the fire (after first adding a shovel full of wood pellets)
you see coal burns in a way you might not understand.

First you must burn something else that will burn hot enough t make those shiny black rocks glow red hot. you see, it isn't exactly coal that burns but carbon that sublimates from the surface of the coal this in turn burns to Carbon Monoxide which itself being flammable burns further to Carbon Dioxide. But through the whole process you need a continuous supply of air to the fire and those black rocks though hot are individually nice little black body Radiators so you need many of them radiating onto each other to maintain the reaction , also required is periodic shaking to remove the layer of ash that prevents radiation and absorbtion as well as oxygen to reach the carbon...

so all in all you have a tough life, I will shed a tear for you

and I'll sincerely hope my electric blanket keeps working!
Because one of my cats, the grey tiger sleeps on top of the covers and if it gets cold he wakes me up.
The OTHER, the yellow tiger cat sleeps under the covers and simply does not care....

Do you understand it is all about keeping the cats happy?

Had to get out of bed in the middle of the night and turn on the heat for just a few minutes. It was hard to handle cold temperatures dropping to the mid 50's after dealing with mid day temps in the mid to high 70's all week. BTW, it never snows in Phoenix!! 🤠🤠

am44mag
01-12-2018, 04:18 AM
If you want extremes, try 60 or 70 below too 100 above. lol It is rare that Fairbanks gets to a hundred, but it has happened, 80 is entirely tooooooo hot.

80 is just a warm summer's day. It's not hot until it hits the 90s.

MOA
01-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Ohhhhhhh, I remember waking up in December of I think 1986 to 3 and 4 inches of snow. Scottsdale all the way up to Bell road the cactus all were wearing 4 inch snow caps. lol

fecmech
01-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Ah yes, I remember Phoenix well. Taking off from Phoenix Sept 2016 in a max loaded 737-800 on a nonstop flight to Buffalo NY on a 97 deg. day. It was the fastest I have ever gone with wheels on the ground and a 9000 ft+ takeoff roll. When we landed in Buf I asked the First Officer what our takeoff speed was. He replied"We rotated at 157kts (about 170 mph) it was pretty much a max performance take off".

Plate plinker
01-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Let it snow thats why we have snowmobiles.

RogerDat
01-12-2018, 11:17 PM
We are blessed with variety. Like Tuesday it was single digits and the snow which was several inches deep squeaked when you walked on it. Day in a half later it's all melted and you see nothing but grass, mud and lumps of snow where the big drifts were. Followed by freezing rain that turned to a few inches of snow and temps in the teens. Good thing we have those big Great Lakes to sort of moderate things.

How people live with temps that only fluctuate 20 degrees is just beyond me. Why I bet they don't even have winter and summer bullet lube. Oh wait yes they do, summer is made from recycled plastic 2 liter bottles because anything wax or petroleum based melts by 9:30 in the morning. :bigsmyl2:

azrednek
01-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Let it snow thats why we have snowmobiles.

You have snow mobiles, I have air conditioning and two Republican Senators!! ����

Plate plinker
01-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Calling mclame a Republican is a bit of a stretch. Flakey seems about the same.

Donnelly should be gone next cycle. He only made it in because the republicans ran with a idiot and I directly blame that dude for the passage of obama care.

bedbugbilly
01-13-2018, 11:48 AM
You need to come further south where we are (south of Tucson) to cool down a little more. I've actually been wearing a stocking hat and my Carhart jacket when I walks the dogs just before sunrise . . . but soon shed the a bit later! Just something about that nice sun and clear blue sky that doesn't make me miss the cold and snow back in Michigan!

azrednek
01-20-2018, 07:08 PM
I do like the weather here most of the time but this past summer seemed hotter than most to me. I know I would not fare well in really cold weather now, but did well for 30 years in Michigan until we moved in 1981. If I want to cool off we can just drive north for a few hours or so.

Lead man, don't know if it's the temperature. I think age and our tolerance for heat weakens. As a kid here in Phx in the 50 and 60's. There were no video games and we were out playing baseball or other activities in 110 degrees. We drank cool water out of evaporative coolers never getting sick. Only the wealthy had air conditioners and we survived, even grocery stores only had Chillers. Nowadays anything over 78 degrees is intolerable.

chuckbuster
01-20-2018, 08:46 PM
just saw this, can only say be careful what you wish for...

azrednek
01-21-2018, 03:39 AM
just saw this, can only say be careful what you wish for...

You're right!! Peaked in the low to mid 70's today and I actually had to put on jacket when I went out tonight. Now that Mopar decided to bring back a factory to Michigan. All those furloughed Mexican workers will be sneaking across AZ's southern border and you will have your revenge. Gee thx!!!

AllanD
01-24-2018, 04:12 PM
kind of like saying that living in hell for the weather

According to Norse mythology "hell" is very cold

azrednek
01-25-2018, 04:01 PM
After I washed my car today, I hosed of the driveway and walkway. Thought about you guys shoveling snow!!

mold maker
01-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Age definitely has an effect on your tolerance to both hot and cold. I spent most of my waking life in a metal bldg with little heat and no AC. Today just the thought of those conditions cause me to shiver or sweat.
First thing I did before moving back into my childhood home was install both dependable heat and AC. Boy how I'm spoiled.

nicholst55
01-27-2018, 12:39 AM
I left Korea in 2012 and lived in Yuma, AZ for four years. Back in Korea now. Compared to Yuma, Phoenix only gets kind of warm! It was officially +10 degrees F this morning here - about 10 degrees warmer than it is a bit north of here! Every joint in my body hurts, and I find myself longing for Yuma!

Oh, and I do know about cold - born and raised in Colorado, and I even spent a year at the Army's Cold Regions Test Center, at Ft. Greely, AK - about 105 miles SE of Fairbanks.

azrednek
01-27-2018, 09:28 PM
During WW2 Gen Patten did the desert warfare training in the desert surrounding Yuma. In North Africa a reporter asking the General about his religious beliefs. Asked him if he feared hell. Patton's response was "no I've been there, that's where we trained".

Back in the mid 70's I was on the road visiting auto parts stores rep-ing for a Phx warehouse. My van's A/C quit on me as I left Lake Havasu on to I-95. Temperature was officially 119 and humid as I headed toward Yuma. Felt even hotter as I left. The then Az Highway Patrol was very busy that day assisting stranded motorists. Passed two roadblocks and was given a gallon of water at each stop. Drank one and poured the other over my head as I drove south.

I rescued two young women that blew a radiator hose that day. They were traveling to a Jimmy Swaggert festival in California. My van was packed with belts, hoses and antifreeze for a tractor supply in the town south of Yuma a few miles north of the border. I found a new hose that fit their early 60's Comet, filled up their radiator with antifreeze and three of us then split my sack lunch. It was an experience I'll never forget as these girls thought I was an angel. As soon as their car started the girls did like a dance singing and chanting "praise, halleluja" and thanking Jesus for answering their prayers sending an angel. Tried my best to convince them I wasn't an angel, just an auto parts salesman and it wasn't a miracle but they didn't believe me.