PDA

View Full Version : ranch dog results

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
bought the 350 ranch dog 4570 mold but because of my back problems havent shot hardly at all in the last two years. My dad wants to hunt with his tc contendor 16inch carbine this year so i figured what the hell id give them a try. I was looking for a light recoiling load for him so loaded that bullet and the group buy 325 wfngc. The group buy bullet results were typical for that gun. 4-5 inch groups at a 100 yards. the guns never been a real good shooter. I loaded the ranch dogs unsized and tumble lubed with 15 grains of uniuqe and the gun shot 1.5 inch at a 100 yards. By far the best that little gun has ever done. They go against all my bullet beliefs being a tumble lubed bullet design but i guess ive got to eat some crow and say im going to have to try more of those rd bullets.

IcerUSA
08-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Crow ain't too bad if cooked right Lloyd . :) But I have to say them RD boolits do shoot well for being made for a Marlin .

Keith

JesterGrin_1
08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I can only hope I get as good of a result from the Ranch Dog when he has the two caster in stock. This is what I found at the range today.

Today I found out lol. 45-70 Marlin 1895 GS

The 300Gr Rem J/HP the best group I can get with it is about a 2in by 3in group. After all of the loads I have fired with this Bullet I think it just does not have enough bore ride to stabilize it. Some may have better luck. But I give lol. Too much powder and shooting with not much in the way of improvement. And I started with the 300Gr Rem J/HP from 56G all the way through 60.5Gr of H-322 and the 60.5Gr did the best of the lot.

Now onto the Hornady 350Gr J/RNSP with 53Gr of H-322 and a Fed Primer 210 gave me a group 1in wide by 3/4 Tall. So I think I am going to stick to this load. And I did try 52Gr through 55Gr.

I think with this load I can take anything that walks and even some that don't lol. Which means I feel pretty safe with this load. But if I am wrong please by all means point it out.

All shots were done at 100 yards with a Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70 with Remington Brass. And all reloading was done on a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press with the Lee Die set.

Hodgdon Powder Company
Cartridge Load Recipe Report - 8/24/2008
data.hodgdon.com 45-70 Government (Modern Rifles)*
Load Type: Rifle Powder: H322
BW: 350

Cartridge Information
Case: Winchester Barrel Length: 24"
Twist: 1:20" Trim Length: 2.100"
Primer: CCI 200

45-70 Government (Modern Rifles)*
Cartridge Load Data Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Loads

44man
08-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Dump the LLA and put some good old Felix lube on them thar boolits! :Fire:

JesterGrin_1
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Dump the LLA and put some good old Felix lube on them thar boolits! :Fire:

You kill me lol. So since you brought the subject up between LLA and Felix Please inform us of the perspective performance between the two.

All Eyes here. :redneck:

44man
08-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I got leading in my .44 with LLA because I shoot heavy hunting loads. Felix stopped it and the last 5 shot group at 100 yd's was 3/4". The RD boolits work fine with regular lubes.

JesterGrin_1
08-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I got leading in my .44 with LLA because I shoot heavy hunting loads. Felix stopped it and the last 5 shot group at 100 yd's was 3/4". The RD boolits work fine with regular lubes.

Well okay then. Glad to get this info. :)

Bass Ackward
08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
I think that it makes logical sense. You can shoot lead one of three ways.

1. Have a tall rifling height gun.
2. Use a harder bullet.
3. Or you can increase the amount of lead for the rifling height you have to grip to.

The gun comes as it is unless you rebarrel. So the last two simply give you the best chance for success. RDs design meet the third requirement to effectively strengthen the bullet.

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Bass and 44man i agree with you totaly. I think the tc has allways shot pourly because of the shallow rifleing. The rd mold just gives more area to bite without having to go to a extreemly heavy or long bullet. 44man i plan on trying just what you suggested. Problem is right now all i have is a 459 die for the star. Ive got a 460 and 461 die ordered. Im not about to bother with hand lubing them. I want the bigger dies for another reason. I had these casted and tumble lubed waiting for a die. I wanted the die more then anything for crimping the check on. These didnt have the checks crimped on. What i did was lubed them with lla twice and when the second coat was still a little tack shoved the checks on hoping the alox would dry and kind of hold them on. They were just sittng there and i didnt think the die would come in time for deer season so i said what the hell and loaded a handfull of them as is. Im certainly not a fan of lla. I probably bad mouth it more then anyone here. I would have bashed anyone who just set gas checks on a bullet without crimping too and probably havent shot a 1000 bullets that werent ran through a sizer. Bottom line is it worked. Ive been following RDs posts on the 44p marlin too and his luck with his bullets in it and you can bet your bottom dollar that thats my next project. My 44p is just as finiky as this tc is.