PDA

View Full Version : 4 hours work this morning and

IcerUSA
08-24-2008, 12:35 PM
this is what I had when I got done , started as just over 3 buckets of WW's and a little range lead . :)

This is it

This is the scrap

and This is the work horse to do it with

Keith

PS , this was only 2 pours from the pot and a couple of the smaller ingot mould got 3 pours as the pot got too low to fill the mini loaf pans . :)

hyoder
08-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I see a lot of stuff in with the WW clips. Did you flux before you dipped and poured the ingots?

hotwheelz
08-24-2008, 02:11 PM
:-D All thats missing is a couple flat rate boxes with my name and address on them

IcerUSA
08-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Lots of fluxing and stiring and when pouring with my big ladle it stirs up more stuff off the bottom so I have to skim some more during the pour , man is my arm sore , need to get the elbow fixed at this rate . :)

Keith

oneokie
08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Does your flux help to burn up the plastic that is on some ww's? That stuff is a real PITA to deal with.

dominicfortune00
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Does your flux help to burn up the plastic that is on some ww's?

You must mean the nylon that they coat some WW with to prevent them from discoloring aluminum wheels due to a reaction between disimilar metals.

imashooter2
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Nice little pile of ingots, but all that lead in the pile labeled as scrap... Breaks my heart!

Lloyd Smale
08-26-2008, 07:55 AM
I process a ton of lead and im not one to be that fussy but i think looking at your clips i too would dump them back in the pot and try to get some more lead out of them.

Cactus Farmer
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Some times as I am cleaning up some metal I redo the trash pile and for the fluxing agent I go to the butcher and get some beef fat .I cut off a piece and throw it on top of the trash.As it "cooks" the fat is released slowly and does an excellent job of helping the lead/tin alloy release from the trash. I stir the mixture as it "cooks" and discard to junk. It isn't always really that much alloy but as someone has said.........I sure hate to see it go to waste.

mold maker
08-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Some range lead is, 30% by volume, jacket material. This is sell able as brass.
First use a magnet to remove the metal clips.(see Northern Tool for quick release magnet)
Then a 1/4-3/16" strainer to separate the jackets (brass) from the dross. (See WalMart kitchen tools)
The dross is where lead is still present to be refluxed and processed.
This method, when originally smelting mixed lead, is efficient and simple. Only the dross needs further treatment to regain the left over lead.
When finished everything but the final skimming is recycled, and that can be bagged/boxed for the trash.

Bob Jones
08-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Last summer I smelted a bunch of range scrap and ended up with 3 five gallon buckets full of jacket material. I decided to see if I could sell it for scrap and was amazed to come home with $180 for the three buckets. Paid for the smelting equipment, propane, gas and a number of other things, not to mention the 850 pounds of lead ingots I ended up with.