PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on SW Wyoming

redneckdan
01-06-2018, 12:16 AM
Hey all y'all. Life's been kinda crazy the last few years and I haven't been very active here. This merry band of degenerates has never steered me wrong so I'm come once again in search of information.

I've been made a very good offer by a mining company in Green River, WY. Some might say an offer to good to refuse...

Anyway, just wanna get some people's thoughts on where to live. Pretty much looking between rock springs and 'the valley' to the west. Looking to buy rather than rent. A house in Urie caught our eye, any thoughts?

-Dan

jimlj
01-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Urie is very rural, but I'd take some were the Bridger Valley any day over Rock Springs. Between Fort Bridger, Lyman, Mountain View and Urie, I doubt there is over 5000 population. There are several people in Urie who work the mines around Green River so ride sharing shouldn't be a problem. Some of the mines even run a bus from Urie. I even know a few here in Evanston who make the trip to the mine if you wanted to venture further west.

starmac
01-06-2018, 06:03 AM
UH, what is wrong with rural?

square butte
01-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Id pay money just to not live in Rock Springs

MT Gianni
01-06-2018, 07:01 PM
My brother and his family have spent quite a few years working in Green River. I like the town but would like it better if it was 15 miles off the interstate. BIL lived in Evanston for 20 years before moving to SE Wyoming. They liked it. I would go for it, I was interviewed by the talc mines in the 70's and chased a girl instead. Might not have been the smartest thing to do. The mines were deep, well vented and a class operation.

Randy Bohannon
01-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Id pay money just to not live in Rock Springs

When I moved to Wyoming anything on or close to I80 was off the list. Of the reasonable choices Rock Springs,Green River or Evanston,hands down Evanston or anything in the Bridger loop.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2018, 07:31 PM
My Daughter's Mom lived in Evanston WY for 4 or 5 years back in the 90s.
I visited a few times, I really liked the town.

StolzerandSons
01-06-2018, 08:07 PM
In that part of Wyoming in the winter time it can mean you don't leave you house for days or even weeks at a time. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it does make it hard to get to work.

I'd stay away from Rock Springs but if you do chose there be sure to read the fine print in the HOA if there is one. A friend of mine spent 20+ years arguing with his HOA in their development and they had a hard time selling their place because of the restrictions.

Lots of really good hunting in that part of WY and the fly fishing isn't bad either.

marlinman
01-06-2018, 09:31 PM
99 miles up 191 from rock springs.

Firebricker
01-06-2018, 09:58 PM
Now I have only worked in the area and it was 6 or 7 years ago I believe. I liked the area and the people. The only only down side from talking to people that lived there was there was a housing shortage. And every time I have been in that area motel rooms were very hard to get. I also liked that it was only a few hours from SLC. A lot could have changed on housing since then. On a side note one of the best steaks I ever ate came from a place called Teds supper club in that area. Good luck with whatever you decide. FB

jimlj
01-07-2018, 01:12 AM

Nothing wrong with rural for me. Some people have a hard time with it. Just letting the OP know. I lived nearly 20 years in Big Piney Wy. That makes the Bridger Valley look like a crowded area.

MT Gianni
01-07-2018, 09:33 PM
From what I remember of Dan, a city of 1000 people would be positively urban.

dk17hmr
01-09-2018, 01:47 PM
I'd stay away from Rock Springs but if you do chose there be sure to read the fine print in the HOA if there is one. A friend of mine spent 20+ years arguing with his HOA in their development and they had a hard time selling their place because of the restrictions.

HOA in Rock Springs?

Why stay away for Rock Springs? It’s not the same town as it was in the 70s.

StolzerandSons
01-09-2018, 05:53 PM
That's right HOA in Rock Springs in early 2000's...they required him to have a minimum square footage of grass in his front yard even though he had it professionally landscaped with rock and that was just one among many other stupid things. In my opinion it is a huge waste of water and time to grow grass in general but in place that are a high altitude desert it is really a waste of time and water.

He found a solution though...he found two large wooden half barrel planters that had just barely more than the minimum square footage requirement, he filled them with dirt and laid sod on top of them. Every spring he would just throw the sod away and buy new.

It was still an expletive-hole when I was there 2 years ago.

dk17hmr
01-09-2018, 06:41 PM
The only HOA here I believe is the gated community on top of the hill across from the hospital.....your buddy must have been well off.