PDA

View Full Version : Different bullet weights????

Hootmix
01-05-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm using a 200gr, .406 dia. Lyman DC mould,,same lead mix,same heat ,same pour ladle but I keep getting different weights. Most are 207.5 + - .6,some as high as 208+,,and some as low as 205 +?????? OR is it just me????. I would like them a little more consistent .

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

JSnover
01-05-2018, 06:29 PM
If I recall, the second cavity can sometimes pour a larger boolit, since the blocks pick up a little more heat (and expand) while you fill the first cavity. My weights have been consistent enough for me that I never bothered to segregate them but I had an old-timer advise me to load them separately and shoot the fat ones last, so as to better fit your warm barrel.

Mitch
01-05-2018, 06:44 PM
fist off it it a 50/50 split.As in one cavity is not the same as the other.could be a small feck of lead gets between the mold blocks.could be the alinement pins are not lubed well and do not allow the block to close the same every time.Your grip is not the same.Poor fill.then it is not like they wont shoot.i myself would like to see them in the 1% range or less.It seems i have more problem like this with a new to me mold.Once i figure out the temp and speed of what the mold likes things go much better.so could be alot of things good luck and llet us know how it is going
Bob

gwpercle
01-05-2018, 06:59 PM
You are getting inconsistences because there are variables .
For them to be consistent weights there can be no variation in cavity size, alloy temperature, mould temperature, ladle temperature and how much alloy is in the ladle when it is poured into the cavity.
A ladle with a little spout on the side works best, called pressure casting. I get my best boolits with one.
After that it's just paying attention to not having any (or as few as possible) variations , then just practicing casting consistently , same arm motion, same force, same amount of sprue puddle and most importantly you have to hold your mouth right .....even so you will still have some weight variations.

I try to get everything as consistent as I can. I have stopped weighing them ...that will drive you insane. If I'm consistent , the bases are perfect and they look good ...I CHOOT EM !
Gary