PDA

View Full Version : Rum Horn

waksupi
01-01-2018, 02:36 PM
After a long day at the range, it's time for a gill of rum.

Revolutionary War period.

pietro
01-01-2018, 02:45 PM

Very cool, Ric - HAPPY NEW YEAR ! !

MUSTANG
01-01-2018, 02:49 PM
WOW. I always find it amazing that these physical links back to our ForeBearers are still to be found outside the confines of "Thou Shalt Not Touch" museums. Thanks for sharing.

Buzzard II
01-01-2018, 03:23 PM
I'll drink to that!

Outpost75
01-01-2018, 03:35 PM
A full gill is a generous measure! Royal Navy cup is a half gill (2.5 ozs.)

waksupi
01-01-2018, 03:58 PM
WOW. I always find it amazing that these physical links back to our ForeBearers are still to be found outside the confines of "Thou Shalt Not Touch" museums. Thanks for sharing.

I keep making them, as long as people keep buying them! I just finished this last Friday.

RCE1
01-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Really like your style. Can you do powder horns with Scots clan crests inscribed?

waksupi
01-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Really like your style. Can you do powder horns with Scots clan crests inscribed?

Most likely. I would need to take a look at the crest to be able to tell if I could do it well enough. Some have a lot of intricate detail.

Flintlock1812
01-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Very Nice Waksupi! You do real nice work.:drinks:

KCSO
01-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Ah Rick that brings back sad memories... About 30 years ago a friend gave us a batch of cow horns and we made one into a rum horn. My buddy scrimshawed the horn and I turned the spout from a hickory branch and used a fiddle peg for a cap. The nicest looking horn you ever saw, but no one told us it was from a DEAD cow. Nothing we tried could get the rancid taste from the horn! It would rot good liquor and gag a maggot. The powder horns came out al right though but the old flinter did puke them out a little quicker?

Yours is a beauty and I hope from a LIVE cow.

waksupi
01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Ah Rick that brings back sad memories... About 30 years ago a friend gave us a batch of cow horns and we made one into a rum horn. My buddy scrimshawed the horn and I turned the spout from a hickory branch and used a fiddle peg for a cap. The nicest looking horn you ever saw, but no one told us it was from a DEAD cow. Nothing we tried could get the rancid taste from the horn! It would rot good liquor and gag a maggot. The powder horns came out al right though but the old flinter did puke them out a little quicker?

Yours is a beauty and I hope from a LIVE cow.

That sound delicious!
I only use clean horns, I won't even use a stinky one on knife handles.
I lined this and my cups with a food grade two part epoxy.

RBak
01-02-2018, 03:55 AM
Rick, Rum Cups are very popular at many of the Rendezvous I've attended over the years, but I can't rightly say I've ever seen any with that "button" on them before.
Could that be because it is to fit between the fingers to support the Cup?
I know I've seen a few in camp that were rather plain Jane with a bit of scribbling on 'em, and some were down right pleasing to the eye, but that little "knob", or "Button", or whatever it's called has piqued my interest.

Very Nice, IMO

Russ...

waksupi
01-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Rick, Rum Cups are very popular at many of the Rendezvous I've attended over the years, but I can't rightly say I've ever seen any with that "button" on them before.
Could that be because it is to fit between the fingers to support the Cup?
I know I've seen a few in camp that were rather plain Jane with a bit of scribbling on 'em, and some were down right pleasing to the eye, but that little "knob", or "Button", or whatever it's called has piqued my interest.

Very Nice, IMO

Russ...

I don't think you have the right idea of what this is. It is a carrying container for liquid. Both ends plugged. The button you refer to is the "cork". This one is made from apple wood.

Hdskip
01-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Nice ! very nice.

RBak
01-02-2018, 03:39 PM
I don't think you have the right idea of what this is. It is a carrying container for liquid. Both ends plugged. The button you refer to is the "cork". This one is made from apple wood.

Ric, you're absolutely right!
I was thinking that was a fancy cup with a "finger hold", or some such nonsense had crept into my mind.
Anyway, it is nice, even much nicer now that I know for sure what it is....silly old me!

Russ...