PDA

View Full Version : Found some good tires and can't review them...

Idaho45guy
12-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Bought a set of relatively unknown tires on Discount Tire Direct and have run them for about a month and roughly 800 miles. Have been very happy with them and wanted to leave a review but Discount Tire doesn't have a link to leave a review. Emailed them and no response. Noticed they sold them on Amazon and tried to leave a review there and it wouldn't let me since I didn't buy them from there. Just wanted to let folks know about my experience with these tires since they are new and very cheap to buy.

Guess I'll at least let you guys know...

I drive a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 3" lift. I use it mainly for commuting to work 15 miles away and on a rural 2-lane highway. But on the weekends, I go everywhere from deep in the Idaho mountains to over to Seattle on the interstate.

My first set of tires were the Cooper ST MAXX. Very aggressive AT tire that did awesome in snow, good in mud, and OK on the street. But they were noticeably louder and $260 each. Then I tried the more mild-mannered Cooper AT3 which was great on the street, pretty good off-road, but mediocre in the snow. They were $190 each.

I decided I wanted to go back to a more aggressive tire and found my current set; the Milestar Patagonia MT. Only $153 each for 285/70/17s. 10-ply tire with 3-ply sidewalls. Initially, I looked at them and thought there was no way they would do well in anything but mud and rock-crawling. Just a very aggressive and open tread design that looks like it would ride rough and be very loud.

But the few reviews I could find said they weren't too loud, rode really well, did great in snow, and seemed to wear well. Bought a set for $650 shipped to my door.

I took them to the local tire shop and had them siped before install; just didn't trust that they would do all that great on packed snow. They balanced easy and took very little weight. Pulled out of the shop and expected to feel the bumpy ride of mud lugs at low speed and turning. Nope. Rode as nice as my former ATs. Headed out on the highway to back home and all was well. Tire shop set the pressure a little lower than I preferred at 40psi, but there was a winter storm warning and I figured the lower pressure would do better in the snow. Tire hum was present, but not too obnoxious.

The next day got hit with 8" of snow. Drove down to the family cabin and never even needed 4x4. Did just fine in snow. I've since driven them in just about every terrain and they have exceeded my expectations for such a cheap tire. Seem to be wearing like iron, as well, with the little nubs still present here and there. Only downside is a decrease in gas mileage, but not sure if due to tread design or how heavy these tires are. They are very beefy!

If you need an aggressive tire but still have to live on the street and don't want to spend over $300 for a tire, then I recommend these tires.

MaryB
12-31-2017, 10:56 PM
$135 at Walmart for a size to fit my truck... not bad and saved for when I have an extra $300 for tires. My rears are looking pretty thin tread wise... might help if I kept my foot off the gas!

kingstrider
01-01-2018, 05:30 AM
Hmm this is good to know. I just bought tires for my wife's car but have big expensive tires on my truck and expect to replace them in another year or two.

Wayne Smith
01-01-2018, 10:33 AM
If you are running them at 40PSI that will drop your gas milage alone, won't it?

Idaho45guy
01-01-2018, 10:55 AM
If you are running them at 40PSI that will drop your gas milage alone, won't it?

Yep. I usually run truck tires at around 45 to 50psi. Not sure what these are rated at; most LT 10-ply tires are either 55psi or 80psi.

Plus, when I installed them, the temps dropped to below freezing and I replaced my K&N air filter with a regular paper filter since I couldn't wash it out with it being so cold outside. Not sure which is affecting gas mileage the most, but none of those things are good for it.

6bg6ga
01-01-2018, 10:59 AM
$135 at Walmart for a size to fit my truck... not bad and saved for when I have an extra $300 for tires. My rears are looking pretty thin tread wise... might help if I kept my foot off the gas!

I got 4 runs on the street with my supercharged Z-28 Camaro with a new set of ET Streets on the rear before they started showing the cord. That makes it about $90 a run. I figure I had a bit more traction problem than you do especially when their still spinng at 100mph.

6bg6ga
01-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Yup, tread pattern and tire weight play in increased noise and decreased MPG. The up side is those agressive patterns get one thru 16" inches of heavy wet snow or deep mud.

Idaho45guy
01-01-2018, 11:02 AM
These tires excel in deep, wet snow like down at the cabin a couple of weeks ago...

MaryB
01-01-2018, 09:11 PM
5.4 Triton V8 and no weight in the truck during summer, and a posi rear... one tire or the other usually howls on corners!

I got 4 runs on the street with my supercharged Z-28 Camaro with a new set of ET Streets on the rear before they started showing the cord. That makes it about $90 a run. I figure I had a bit more traction problem than you do especially when their still spinng at 100mph.