PDA

View Full Version : Vintage watches

Multigunner
12-30-2017, 11:04 PM
After searching in vain for a replacement case for my Seamaster DeVille I found myself attracted to some of the old watches I ran across.
Picked up this one this week received it today. It's an Ingraham "Tower" wristwatch, probably pre WW2. The band appears proportioned for a boy of twelve to sixteen or so. The case is man sized comparable to similar higher quality mens watches of the era and the battleship grey band is not something I'd expect to see on a ladies watch.

The same general model was used to make Disney and DC Comics themed kids watches in the 50's.

Surprisingly I found that US military issued sealed cans of these watches have shown up occasionally, Three packed in each food can like container, with no explanation of what they were used for. Its suspected that these were used as trade goods to bribe local natives.

Anyway I hope to get this one running, but even if it won't run its a good wall hanger and only cost me ten bucks with free shipping.

clodhopper
01-01-2018, 11:03 AM
No real information on the sealed cans of watches, but I think three matching watches would be useful for timing operations by three different groups in various locations.
Generals are pretty knowledgeable about the last war. In world war I, poor timing with artillery barrages, and over the top attacks was pretty common.

Multigunner
01-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Its Alive!
Popped the back off and the balance wheel began to swing slowly. I used an old mantle clock freeing trick and put a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the backplate of the movement and one on the balance wheel shaft and the watch was ticking away and keeping good time in minutes. Been four hours now and no sign being off to any noticeable degree. I'll know more after a longer run. I kind of doubt a watch this small and crude has much of a reserve. I figure twelve hours between windings would be about the limit.
Lightly polished the crystal to reduce a couple of very light scratches. Looks great now.

If it had a man's sized band I'd wear it. might make a band for it and keep the original band stashed in the bottom of a box I'll be getting for it after I make a band. the OEM band has a very thin wire buckle and keeper, not very stylish but unobtrusive.

Consensus of opinion is that Ingraham watches of the day were not an authorized military grade watch. I'm thinking they might have intended to airdrop these to resistance fighters. A cheap common watch would not arouse suspicion and would be better than nothing.

clodhopper
01-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Consensus of opinion is that Ingraham watches of the day were not an authorized military grade watch. I'm thinking they might have intended to airdrop these to resistance fighters. A cheap common watch would not arouse suspicion and would be better than nothing.

That would make sense, helping the resistance time operations.

Nice you got the watch to run.

That lighter fluid trick is new to me, probably work on all kinds of old gummed up guns.
had to mention guns so the mods could justify the thread

NoZombies
01-02-2018, 11:39 PM
I also use naphtha (lighter fluid) on old camera equipment, it evaporates leaving a slight film of lubrication that doesn't attract dust.

Good job getting the old watch back up and running. I've got several vintage watches that I rotate through. My most often worn is from 1971, and most of the others are older than that.