PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SRH Cylinder throats

Rug480
12-27-2017, 07:36 AM
Hey all,

So I traded into a 2001 SRH in 480 and using hornady calipers I measure .479 for all throats and .4765 max on the bore muzzle (don’t have a mic or lead for slugging yet)

So I believe I’m supposed to shoot for .001 over cylinder throats but all I’m using is an RCBS 400gr mold and I’m wondering if I’ll be lucky enough to get .479 let one .480 if the mold is supposed to cast .476

I know I’m jumping the gun without seeing what the mold drops, just has me wondering what wheel weights will drop at and if I’m in for some leading

New to this and I’ve only shot some jacketed factory ammo.. I do have some 325gr cast from the trade but all measure .476, should I melt those or run them through first?

Wayne Smith
12-27-2017, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you need to make some boolits and see what the mold throws. Also get some soft pure lead (fishing sinker?) and slug your throats and your barrel. Much more accurate measurement.

mdi
12-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Calipers won't give an accurate measurement of smaller ID round holes like cylinder throats. If you only have calipers, slug the throats like Mr. Smith says and measure them with the calipers (won't be quite as good as micrometers, but it's a start). Size/purchase your lead bullets to the same diameter as the throats. If bullets are smaller than the throats you'll prolly get leading and if the bullets are larger than the throats they will be swaged down as they pass through the throats (and often get lead "spray" on the cylinder face and/or frame). Another plus to slugging both barrel and throats is checking to make sure the throats are larger than the groove diameter...