PDA

View Full Version : Heated hunting clothes

bikerbeans
12-23-2017, 09:15 AM
I have been drawn for a lottery deer hunt on Feb 3, 2018, in northern ohio. I cannot take a portable blind or buddy heater. Because of medications I cannot stay warm while still hunting no matter how many layers I wear. I can't walk all day to stay warm either. The disposable heat packs and UA 4.0 base layer only work for me down to 25F.

I am looking at battery powered heated vests and base layers. I would like to hear others experiences with these systems.

Thanks,

BB

Hogtamer
12-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Pray for warm weather! THe heat packs work pretty well BB if you arrange em right. 1 small in the bottom of each sorrel boot. Wool long drawers over 1 each larger pack on back of thighs, then layers. 1 of the body wraps around torso and one in your hat. 1 under your butt on seat. Plus a face mask. You can buy a heap of the chem packs for what electric clothes cost. Heck we had snow in October but I tuffed it out!
Good luck and don't wind up like ole Hatchet Jack.
If it's headed that direction leave a note that sez ole Hogtamer gets your rifle :bigsmyl2:

NSB
12-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Just use more heat packs. I've got one of those heater body suits that cost around six hundred bucks and don't even wear it any more. The adhesive packs work the best. Stick one on front, one on the back, a couple in each boot (they make a whole foot sticky pad now). Use as many as you need. I've been telling everyone that those packs have cost billions of lost dollars to the clothing manufacturers. Cold? Open a couple more. They stay warm more hours than the day is long. One more thought: get a hand muff. I started using one a couple of years ago in the really cold weather and I don't even wear gloves except for walking in and out. Those things are really, really warm with a couple of hand warmers inside them.

Rick Hodges
12-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Consider one of the Sleeping bag with arms deal...or with the quick opening upper section so you can move to shoot. They break the wind and keep you body heat inside. I have never used one but wished I had one in late season bowhunts from trees. You can always throw a couple of heat chem packs in them as well.

Smoke4320
12-23-2017, 11:26 AM
I don't mean to pile on but have to agree with the above .. more packs are better and cheaper than the very expensive and EASILY damaged heated clothing

lefty o
12-23-2017, 11:35 AM
keep your feet warm, more important than anything else. those toe warmers and full feet warmers that stick to the bottoms of your socks do a very good job. still need to layer up and wear good head gear, but if your feet are warm your 75% of the way there.

bikerbeans
12-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Pray for warm weather! THe heat packs work pretty well BB if you arrange em right. 1 small in the bottom of each sorrel boot. Wool long drawers over 1 each larger pack on back of thighs, then layers. 1 of the body wraps around torso and one in your hat. 1 under your butt on seat. Plus a face mask. You can buy a heap of the chem packs for what electric clothes cost. Heck we had snow in October but I tuffed it out!
Good luck and don't wind up like ole Hatchet Jack.
If it's headed that direction leave a note that sez ole Hogtamer gets your rifle :bigsmyl2:

HT,

My rifle ain't a rock lock, should I leave a copy of the manual too?

BB

Hogtamer
12-23-2017, 06:03 PM
'Specially if it's one of those new fangled levers that you load on Sunday and shoot all week. Oh, one other word of advice from somebody who knows....leave off the caffiene. Hard to find 3 inches of peter wearing gloves in 6 inches of britches.

richhodg66
12-23-2017, 09:00 PM
A few years ago, when I was commuting 70 miles each way every day, I was trying to extend how long I could use my motorcycle and bought a heated vest on Ebay that used a 9 volt battery. Never really used it, but did try it out and it did heat up. I figured it would get some use during deer season, but we haven't had a real Winter in several years and since I started hunting during archery season again, I've been done before the end of November, so haven't been put to the test lately.

If I'm stand hunting in December, I use those stick on hand warmers in gloves that have a flap which covers your finger tips so I can pull them back to shoot. I have awful metabolism for staying warm it seems, feet and hands in particular. Anymore, if I'm going to be still and it's below about 35 degrees, I don't even fool around, I break out the Sorrel pac boots. I bought them for Alaska, but they get a bit of use here. Rated to 40 below, so may be over kill for here, but I don't get cold feet on a tree stand.

Taylor
12-23-2017, 09:49 PM
I use a string

Taylor
12-23-2017, 09:51 PM
'Specially if it's one of those new fangled levers that you load on Sunday and shoot all week. Oh, one other word of advice from somebody who knows....leave off the caffiene. Hard to find 3 inches of peter wearing gloves in 6 inches of britches.

I use a string

jonp
12-23-2017, 10:02 PM
I can tell you that battery powered socks work like a charm. My aunt gave me a pair some number of years ago for whatever reason. I wore them and sneakers ice fishing in northern vermont with no problems. Quite the thing and I have a couple of friends that have tried the battery powered mittens with similar results.

As for the clothing, no experience but I would think a vest would be the ticket to keeping your core warm. Warm your center and kidneys and you will be warm.

jonp
12-23-2017, 10:04 PM

Ummmm....not going to comment on that but the glove thing. Get the mittens that have a flip top thing that you can fold back over for shooting like these https://www.amazon.com/Klondike-Sterling-Thinsulate-Fleece-Fingerless/dp/B001OXN1SK

these things works like a charm for cold weather hunting, snowshoeing or anything. Trust me on this. I've worn them on many late muzzle loader hunts, snowshoeing, ice fishing etc below 0.

starmac
12-23-2017, 10:05 PM
I have used the battery heated socks, they do work and are fairly inexpensive. Carharts (artic) work very well way down below the temps you will see, but does nothing for feet,fingers and ears.

Hickory
12-23-2017, 10:28 PM
Hand warmers, you'll need 5 of them, 7 if you don't have arctic boots. One under your hat, a person looses 80% of his body heat through their head. 2 for your hands, 2 for your lower back where your kidneys are, and 2 for you feet, if you don't have arctic boots.

labradigger1
12-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Milwaukee tools have heated jackets that run off their rechargeable batteries.

woodbutcher
12-24-2017, 03:55 PM
:bigsmyl2: Electric heated long johns have for sure been around for a while too.Remember seeing them advertised in the outdoor mags at least 50 years ago.From what I was told,they worked pretty good too.And not too expensive either.Oh yeah.I realize that those items have been around longer than that,as they "borrowed"the tech from the electrical heated flying suits from before the war.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

AZ Pete
12-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Be sure to have an insulated pad to sit on too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCM
12-24-2017, 10:07 PM
There is a whole lot of good advice above!

I have a Milwaukee 12V heated jacket, and it does work well. 3 heat settings plus off.
The XC4.0 battery will last about 5 hrs. max on high.
Problem is that it does nothing for my feet or hands, which is what gets the most cold the fastest for me.

The toe, hand and foot warmer packs are way more helpful. and easy to carry spares.

AllanD
12-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Just be aware of one important fact about those disposable hand warmers: they operate on Salt and Iron powder, and react with moisture in the air
to really get them going EXHALE through each one several times...

The ones in your boots to warm your toes usually don't need the help, But the ones in your pockets often do.

Just remember that the Colder it gets and the more you need them to work.
But also the colder it gets the DRIER the Air is, who else has noticed that once the temp drops into the teens
the cold does not seem as bad? this is because the moisture the air can carry drops drastically below 20F
And at those temps the salt cannot attract much moisture and thus cannot corrode the Iron(which is what generates the heat)

Years ago before people worried overmuch about Human and technological odors everyone used JonE Catalytic hand warmers, which they Ran on what amounted to de-odorized Kerosene or Lighter fluid, I can point out that they run perfectly well on Coleman Fuel (white gas) with far less Kerosene/Lighter fluid "funk", so they may be another option.

Liquid petroleum products are a "Long Lever" of stored energy and releasing that energy as heat delivers a big payoff.

I've been "collecting" those liquid fueled hand warmers by simply buying every one I see at flea markets, garage sales, thrift stores and gun shows for a couple of decades,
but have only once used genuine JohnE fuel in one, typically Ronsonol lighter fluid is more convenient.

And that is even though I typically have close to 20 gallons of Coleman fuel on hand.

Multigunner
12-25-2017, 01:00 AM
:bigsmyl2: Electric heated long johns have for sure been around for a while too.Remember seeing them advertised in the outdoor mags at least 50 years ago.From what I was told,they worked pretty good too.And not too expensive either.Oh yeah.I realize that those items have been around longer than that,as they "borrowed"the tech from the electrical heated flying suits from before the war.
Leo

The electrically warmed flying suit dates back to mid WW1. The Red Baron wore one he had taken from a British officer he shot down and took prisoner.
Quite an advantage in the cold lonely skies over France.

Daniel964
12-25-2017, 06:10 AM
Put the large heat packs in the front pockets of your base layer of pants. Being near the femoral arteries it will warm your blood and warm your whole body better. That's what j do and it makes a big difference for me. Try that now before you go and see if it works for you also.

jonp
12-25-2017, 03:05 PM
There is a whole lot of good advice above!

I have a Milwaukee 12V heated jacket, and it does work well. 3 heat settings plus off.
The XC4.0 battery will last about 5 hrs. max on high.
Problem is that it does nothing for my feet or hands, which is what gets the most cold the fastest for me.

The toe, hand and foot warmer packs are way more helpful. and easy to carry spares.

I was thinking of getting the wife a Milwaukee vest but hadn't heard if they worked well.

They have heated suits for both snowmobiles and motorcycles that you can plug in. Never tried them, though as I'm lucky enough to be someone that doesn't feel the cold much.

merlin101
12-25-2017, 11:13 PM
Years ago my wife sewed pockets inside of my favorite hunting shirt, one on each side in the back about where the kidneys are. In the morning as I'm dressing I drop a large disposable hand warmer in each pocket. Cheap and effective, sometimes to effective and I have to open my coat. My father had an old sleeping bag he cut down and coated the lower part with some rubber compound, he would carry it out to his stand and then slide his feet and legs in, it came up to his waist and worked good but was bulky.
Good luck on your hunt!

DCM
12-26-2017, 08:04 AM
I was thinking of getting the wife a Milwaukee vest but hadn't heard if they worked well.

They have heated suits for both snowmobiles and motorcycles that you can plug in. Never tried them, though as I'm lucky enough to be someone that doesn't feel the cold much.

O not feeling the cold much one thing I noticed this year was that it bothered me more this year than last year. Since I had plenty of time to think about that while sitting in my stand it occurred to me that I was much less physically active this year than last. This really hit me hard when it came time to drag the deer out. :oops:

Thanks for the tip on the snowmobile stuff. I am looking at the heated gloves again now. My brother has a pair and loves them.

The vests/jackets do keep the core warm and their advantage is they can be turned off when it is action time.
I walk in in the morning with it turned off and open in the front, then close it and turn it on later when I cool down.

woodbutcher
12-27-2017, 11:47 AM
[smilie=s: Hi Multigunner.Knew that heated flying clothes went back to early 20`s.Did`nt know that they were around for WW1.Thanks for the info.What type of power supply was used?As far as I know,the only electrical source on the WW1 fighters was the magnetos for the ignition system.No throttles either.The pilots used a"Blip Switch" that cut out the ignition to control the engine speed on the ground,and for landing.
Leo

woodbutcher
12-27-2017, 11:56 AM
:shock: Another little bit of trivia.The ROTARY aircraft engines of the time were full loss lubricating systems.Soooooooooooo the pilots got to breathe all those lovely oil fumes.Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.The lubricant of choice for those engines was CASTOR OIL:shock:[smilie=s:.50 yards to the out house.By Willie makeit and Bett he Won`t.
Leo