PDA

View Full Version : AA5744 in 45-70

1Shirt
08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Am shoothin the 535 gr Postell Lyman (which with my alloy weighs about 520), and the 387 PBRN lyman over moderate charges of 5744 in my #1, and gettin pretty fair accuracy and results with and without dacron filler. However both with and without filler I am getting unburned pdr in the bbl. I am wondering if anyone out there has had similar experiance, and if so have just continued shooting it as is, or switching to a different pdr, or trying a mag primer. My thoughts at present lead me back to staying with 2400 for moderate loads which have always shot well with low to mod vol loads.

I thank in advance anyones experiance with the above.
1Shirt!:coffee:

08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
I think every board discussing cast loads with 5744 has had numerous discussions about the unburned kernal issue with this powder.

I have experimented with and used 5744 with most all my BP type calibers for cast shooting. It has proved to be a very good if not the best powder for that purpose. It seems to be very stable within the load range it's designed for and a little slower thus a little more versatile than 4759. Both of these powders are bulky and fill an important niche in smokeless loading for original BP cartridges/pressures.

Having said all that... yes I almost always get some nuisance unburned kernals with 5744. At first it bugged to no end. But after trying most of the alternatives, I've come to the conclusion that the unburned kernals are mostly just cosmetic. The powder seems to be a fairly clean burning powder compared to many others. This comes to light during cleaning when comparing the fouling left after shooting 5744 with many of the other powders used for low pressure cast BP type loads.

Just .02 worth

Mike Venturino
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
What 405 said is correct. Don't worry about powder kernels if the bullet holes in the paper are close to one another.

That said a moderate crimp on the bullet may reduce the unburned powder without adversely affecting grouping.

Good luck
Mike V.

Powderpacker
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
I have tried AA5744 in cartriges ranging from 22Hornet to 45-70 and a bunch in between. I've found it to be very consistent - consistently dirty, that is. I have tried hotter primers, loading to near max. etc. hoping higher presure would result in a cleaner burn. Nothing I tried improved the burn so , since I couldn't tolerate all that crap in my barrels , I just gave up using 5744 . There are so many powders available that leave most of my barrels almost 'squeaky clean' it's not worth the aggravation of dealing with 5744 (IMHO).

Heavy lead
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I use 5744 in my 416 Rigby with the RCBS 350 boolit. It works great low, extreme spread I don't use a dacron filler, against common recommendations. Is there unburned kernals left: yes, but it doesn't bug me, I get 1" groups with it at 100 yards, and the barrel is no dirtier on the 20th firing than after the first. Those unburned kernals just blow right out in front of the boolit when you pull th trigger.
If your only goal is a spotless barrel then it might not be for you.

Jon K
08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
+1 what 405 said...........the unburned powder is just the nature of the beast, a minor inconvienience considering it's versatile, accurate, low pressure, and it's not position sensitive, so no fillers needed.

I've found it works in most everything w/cast boolits from 7 TCU to 45-70. It's no speed demon, so if you want max speed look else-where.

Have fun Shooting,
Jon

chuebner
08-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I've gotten so used to seeing gunk in the bore of my RB since I shoot 90% black that a few kernels left over from 5744 loads make the bore look absolutely spotless. You want a clean bore leave the gun hanging on the wall.

Charlie

looseprojectile
08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
what primer?
I have mostly used pistol primers in 45 70 and 40 65 with smokeless low pressure loads.
Magnum pistol primers work a little better.
Also have had some success recently with old 4831 with magnum pistol primers in these guns.
The reason I started using pistol primers is the 40 65 Cimarron highwall has a weak hammer spring and it pops pistol primers more consistently. Need to fix that. I think the rolling block 45 70 would mash anything.
With 5744 powder I get better groups with dryer lint filler and a card wad. I only use the filler to keep the wad near the base of the boolit.:roll:
Mike Venturino has almost convinced me to try Black powder in these guns. :drinks:

Life is good

1Shirt
08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Interesting words of wisdom. Thanks to all!
1Shirt!

JohnH
08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Interesting words of wisdom. Thanks to all!
1Shirt!

1Shirt, My favorite cast load for my 25-06 Encore is 18 grains of 5744, Federal Goald Match large rifle primers and the RCBS 257120. Load will consistantly do 1" and less at 100 yards, kills clay pigeons at 200 with aplomb and accounted for about 30 prairie dogs between 150-180 yards two years back. I use 13 grains under the Lee 312185 sized at .310 in a Savage 30-30. It too is monotonously accurate. I've also found it to be a sleeper in 44 magnum carbines, delivering everything from low pressure plinking loads to 1500 fps loads for plinking whitetails. Accurate Arms lists a load for practically every concievable use for the power, visit their website. The unburned kernels are pressure related and will become less as pressure increases, but never completely go away even at max charges. Like Unique, 5744 will make most anything go bang. I wouldn't want to be without it.

2bizzy
01-15-2018, 09:10 PM
I ran into this problem some time ago with the un burnt kernels though it proved to be more of an annoyance as the grouping was very good at the other end. M.V. touches on a good point with the crimping. I was at the time, using PP boolits that could be seated with finger pressure. I later switched to a alternative sizing and seating approach which also involved a taper crimp. The unburnt powder was much less and group size reduced! On a different tac...using GG boolits and a safely loaded heaver powder charge left the bore reasonably clear.

MostlyLeverGuns
01-15-2018, 10:07 PM
My Marlin 336 - 32 Special - 24" barrel gives consistent 2" groups at 200 yards 16 grains 5744, 200 grain .323 boolit. I don't spend a lot of time looking for unburned powder.