PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your bulk lube 300 gr. plus bullets

Just Duke
08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I am wondering if stacking them together would cause them to stick. I saw on anothed thread a fella had made some "cut to fit" bullet boxes which I had thought about now for quite awhile.
I would think you would get more consistant accuracy if the bullets like say 45-70, 500 and 460 S&W etc... were not just thrown into a box of 500 or so.
So how do you guys store your large caliber rifle bullets?
TIA,
Duke

Just received my new 6 cavity Ranch Dog molds about a month ago. I cast for about 3.5 hours today and have just over 500 45 caliber 350 gr and 450 30 caliber 165 grainers. I have never had 6 cavities before and they are very productive. Here's a pic.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/boolits.jpg

regards, Malcolm

powderburnerr
08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
get you some styrofoam trays , they work great and if you use two and tape them around th emiddle they wont dry out either , midway has a good buy on them , me and a friend bought a case for less than 80-.00 with freight............Dean

gon2shoot
08-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I store mine in cheapo plastic bowls (square) with wax paper between the layers

Doc Highwall
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
These are by MTM # J50-38 and # J50-45. I store 38-55 and smaller in the J50-38, and 40cal and 45cal in the J50-45. It allows me to count easily the boolits I have for match shooting. Web sit says I have exceeded my capacity for pictures?

Jim
08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Wally World has 5" X 5" square clear plastic storage containers with screw tops. They come in quart and 1/2 gallon sizes. I can get 21 of these on the bullet shelf of my free standing cabinet. All my boolits go in these.

454PB
08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I store mine as pictured, only I use the square plastic food containers. I use cardboard from pop or beer cartons to separate the layers. The boolits are sticky, since I use Alox based lube, but they are easily separated by giving them a light twist as they are removed from the container. Another way to keep them from being sticky is to put them in a freezer for a few minutes.

xr650
08-21-2008, 12:38 AM
I store mine as pictured, only I use the square plastic food containers. I use cardboard from pop or beer cartons to separate the layers.

This is how I store mine as well. I add a layer of waxed paper on top of the thin cardboard.
They stack neat and are easy to use.

Wayne Smith
08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Wally World has 5" X 5" square clear plastic storage containers with screw tops. They come in quart and 1/2 gallon sizes. I can get 21 of these on the bullet shelf of my free standing cabinet. All my boolits go in these.

Square containers with screw tops?? I've gotta look for those!

bruce drake
08-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I use the square plastic tubs from Sam's Club that they sell their frozen cream puffs in. I get to snack and have a stackable storage box afterwards.

I also layer soda carton cardboard between my layers although I lay the boolits on their sides and get several more layers in the box than I can by standing them on end.

Bruce

1Shirt
08-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I use the plastic boxes that have a number of dividers in them that are adjustable by moving inserts that you can buy at Lowes/Minards/Hobby lobby etc. The beauti of these is that you can seperate by weights with the dividers. They are about an inch and a half tall, and stack well. These are replacing my stand up holders with the multi plastic drawers that I have used for years, mostly because I find them more convenient.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Crash_Corrigan
08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
They work for me....keep the data on a piece of tape attached to the lid. After lubing and sizing I roll 'em in a bath of corn starch to keep them clean and non sticky.

Was having a problem with lubed boolits in hot weather getting sticky and messing up my dies. Not to mention my hands got messed up while running the Dillon press....that red lube sticks to everything. Corn starch works....cheap and availlable....keep a sifter made from a hardwood frame with plastic screening tacked on bottom to sift excess media from dusted boolits and save excess starch for next time. Did I mention I was cheap?

Then they go back into a CB can until assembly into a round. The CB cans stack well and when full of boolits weigh upwards of 30 pounds. As a result one side of my reloading area has a wooden rack that is tilted a mite to the rear to hold the cans. The rack is on the floor with a 2x4 on the bottom which maintains the required angle away from the wall. I have 10 cans in a tower and 8 cans across.

I keep my brass cleaned and uncleaned, boolits lubed and just cast, recovered range lead and loaded rounds all in CB cans. There they are kept clean and ready when needed for further processing or shooting.

I just got some (3) 40 MM Grenade ammo cans from Midway on sale. Eight bucks apiece (did I mention I was cheap?) and they will be used for long term storage for molds and Dillon tooheads and dies and such when not actually being used for reloading. I am tired of having to spend so much time trying to locate stuff when I need it.

I keep rolls of masking tape and sharpies handy for marking and documentation as there is nothing worse than looking at a pile of loaded rounds and trying to remember what the load was or some ingots and failing to recall the alloy.

Index cards taped to all sides of the ammo cans listing the contents and an excel file on the computer with all the data relating to what the contents are and where they are is a system I need to keep track of everything.

From that file I can print out a list that can be tailored to my needs. I keep them broken down when input into various categories:

Die 38, Die 45 ACP, Die 6.5 MM, Mold 266, Sizer 266, Case 38, Die Universal expanding etc. With a bit of organization and the help of a computer and printer I can keep track of all my gear and locate something quickly without pulling out my sparse hair.

I can spend my time casting, smelting and assembling rounds and not waste time looking for stuff.

John Boy
08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
So how do you guys store your large caliber rifle bullets?
In styrofoam bullet trays (50 holes) - not lubed. Then each tray goes into a cardboard sleeve box and marked with a label:
* Date cast
* Caliber
* Mold used
* Alloy ratio
* Weight range
* Brinell hardness (Bhn) - determined a week after casting

Then the boxes are stacked by caliber. When I finish a box, repeat and use a different label. This allows the trays and boxes to be used for a long time

Frank46
08-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Duke, check out your local rifle range. Especially before clean up day. The 45acp 50 round boxes will hole 45 cal rifle bullets in the styrofoam trays. Me I use whatever I can find at the dollar store. I dust my boolits with motor mica. You can get it at midway. A 1lb can lasts for years. Frank

Meatco1
08-22-2008, 02:11 AM
When the bullets are loaded, do you have to clean off the Mica? Or, do you just fire them as is?

Thanks,

Richard

Southern Son
08-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I lucked out on a shooting range some time ago. The Police have started using Golden Eagle brand .40S&W for practice here in Queensland. After they finished they left 50 or more boxes on the range and they had the plastic trays inside, they were the perfect size. I can put fifty 540grain boolits cast from my Steve Brooks Creedmore (or the same number of Lyman 457132 or 457677, or same again from the 525grain CBE mould) in each tray. I then put a second tray up side down on top of the first tray. I can write on the top of it what is inside with a permanent marker (when I empty the tray, a little bit of Hoppes No. 9 will remove the writing), and they stack very neatly under my reloading bench.

missionary5155
08-22-2008, 06:19 AM
The .45 acp boxes work great also... the magnum pistol boxes are a somewhat taller but work well until your supply of .45acp meets your need.

Doc Highwall
08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
This is the MTM boxes that I use. Cat#J50-38 for 38-55 and smaller, and Cat#J50-45 for 40cal and 45 cal. I got a bunch of them for $ 1.90 ea.

Frank46
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Richard, nope I leave the boolits dusted and it seems to help seating. Haven't found anything in the barrel after firing. I get a greyish black bore condition and having fired upwards of 100 rds have not seen any leading. There was a thread somewhere
here about using motor mica as both a protection for the boolits not sticking together when using lubes like javelina and I believe (CRS) that some members here prefer shooting with it on them as it seemed to promote better accuracy. But then I could be wrong. Frank

Southern Son
08-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Doc Hiwall, who made your mould for the 45 cal boolit? Looks real similar to my Steve Brooks Creedmore Mould.

Lloyd Smale
08-23-2008, 06:03 AM
I just throw them in a coffee can. Ive got over a half a million bullets in coffee cans at any one time in the barn. I use Felix lube mixed 3/4s felix to 1/4 commercial hard lube. Ive never had a problem with bullets sticking together. It swings between over a hundred in the summer to well below zero in the winter out there. Ive had some bullets stored for near 10 years now out there.

Doc Highwall
08-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Southern Son, you are correct it is a Steve Brooks. I also have one of his in 40cal. The other boolit in the photo is Lyman 379670 for my 38-55Win

Southern Son
08-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Doc, two things improved my casting out of sight, first was a RCBS thermometer, then I got one of his moulds. Before when I only had Lyman 457677 and 457132, I would remelt half of what I cast, since then, I am running at less that 10% reject rate (I am a little fussy, anything not within +/- .5 Grain goes back).