PDA

View Full Version : I guess it only makes sense.....

adam_mac84
12-16-2017, 07:46 PM
I was going through my 'random brass' bucket today, and realized I had ~150 .45acp cases in there... I put them in a baggy... but it just seems like a waste of perfectly good brass if I don't have anything to shoot out of them... And I find myself browsing for info on the CMP 1911's and .45 molds :killingpc:not listening:

tazman
12-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the disease of reloading cast boolits.
Any stray brass requires a new gun to shoot it out of, as well as all the rest of the paraphernalia.

By the way, 1911 pistols are an addiction all on their own. Owning just one won't do it.

Bookworm
12-16-2017, 08:10 PM
That way lies madness.

I know, I've been there...:shock:

mrrch
12-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Yes I have started with brass, then dies, molds then finally the firearm lol

myg30
12-17-2017, 12:33 AM
Saved brass is never a waste. Some day you might need it. Some one you know might need it. You might need to trade it. Christmas is a week away and YOU might be glad you got it !!

Mike

blikseme300
12-17-2017, 12:39 AM
Yep, had the same problem which lead to me acquiring 2 pistols, molds and dies to load for 40S&W. At the time I was only interested in 9mmP and 45ACP but picked up about 2 buckets of 40S&W brass during my brass scavenging. I still prefer autos other than 40S&W, but I hang on to them and use them from time to time.

Someday soon I'll probably get a 1911 in 38Super as I have a 5 gallon bucket of once fired brass in that caliber. I have also bought a number of molds and dies that have no application as yet, but someday... This madness never stops.

runfiverun
12-17-2017, 01:40 AM
I have one round of 6.5X55 ammo.
I come real close to buying a 6.5X55 barrel today.
I'm sure it would be a great companion to my 6.5X57.

Wayne Smith
12-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Warning - if you come across 41LC brass send them to HarryO or me. Don't go down that road!

WRideout
12-17-2017, 10:38 AM
I was looking at my stash of 9mm range pickup brass and trying to decide if I should buy a 9mm barrel for my Romanian Tok. But I can quit any time, and I don't have a problem.

Wayne

lightman
12-17-2017, 10:59 AM
I have a network of friends that swap or trade brass. We don't keep score, we just pass down anything that we don't personally load or that we have in surplus. I also joined Castboolits sister site ABT. There are a lot of cartridges that I have no desire to own or load but I agree that everyone needs a 1911 and a 45 ACP!

Bookworm
12-17-2017, 01:12 PM
I've had a set of 45 ACP dies for several years.

I also came into a small box of 45 ACP brass in a trade.

I don't have a 45 ACP firearm.

I just caught myself fondling the dies, in contemplation.....

dverna
12-17-2017, 01:23 PM
I was going through my 'random brass' bucket today, and realized I had ~150 .45acp cases in there... I put them in a baggy... but it just seems like a waste of perfectly good brass if I don't have anything to shoot out of them... And I find myself browsing for info on the CMP 1911's and .45 molds :killingpc:not listening:

Unless you are a collector, spend the money on a quality commercial 1911.

Dusty Bannister
12-17-2017, 01:23 PM
LOL, when I bought my first two molds, they were used, and the guy was getting out of casting. One was for the 45 LC. That was back in the early 70's. I have the mold, lube size dies, reloading dies, brass and everything else EXCEPT for a gun to shoot them in. One of these days a lever gun or revolver will find me at the right time and I will correct that. Mean time, I will cast a few up for others, just to keep the molds working, and yes, I have added to the number of molds for that caliber. Just still waiting for the right firearm to come along. Dusty

Rodbuster55
12-17-2017, 05:50 PM
That's how I ended up buying a .45. I had some brass laying around, then a Cabela's gift card was used to buy some dies. All I needed was a gun. . A short time later I picked up an xds.45 at the local gun store.

Bama
12-17-2017, 06:08 PM

If you can find one the H&G 200 gr is accurate and is smooth to shoot. Keep good notes with measurements and be safe. AS others will tell you it is an addiction but it is very enjoyable

tazman
12-17-2017, 06:11 PM
I've had a set of 45 ACP dies for several years.

I also came into a small box of 45 ACP brass in a trade.

I don't have a 45 ACP firearm.

I just caught myself fondling the dies, in contemplation.....

Don't wait any longer. The stress only gets worse until you give in.

whisler
12-17-2017, 09:28 PM
I had 2 big jugs of 9mm pick-up brass and 9mm dies (used but a gift) and no 9mm pistol. So I gave one jug to a friend for his newly acquired Luger. Then quess what happened; a 9mm pistol came my way. See, sharing pays off.

Quiettime
12-17-2017, 09:46 PM
45 ACP is the first cartridge I reloaded as a teenager using the classic Lee Loader. It's almost the perfect size and proportions for ease of reloading. Every man should have a 45 1911

Texas by God
12-17-2017, 11:26 PM
IMO the absolute best auto pistol / cartridge combo ever and so easy to reload. But there are a bunch of non 1911s out there in .45 also to consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tazman
12-17-2017, 11:31 PM
IMO the absolute best auto pistol / cartridge combo ever and so easy to reload. But there are a bunch of non 1911s out there in .45 also to consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes. Smith & Wesson made some great revolvers in that caliber.

marek313
12-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Yep, had the same problem which lead to me acquiring 2 pistols, molds and dies to load for 40S&W. At the time I was only interested in 9mmP and 45ACP but picked up about 2 buckets of 40S&W brass during my brass scavenging. I still prefer autos other than 40S&W, but I hang on to them and use them from time to time.

Someday soon I'll probably get a 1911 in 38Super as I have a 5 gallon bucket of once fired brass in that caliber. I have also bought a number of molds and dies that have no application as yet, but someday... This madness never stops.

I'm so right there with you on this one. For my handguns I'm casting 9mm, 45acp and 38S/357 but I have this large collection of 40 brass growing in this one bucket. I'm thinking of trading it for other calibers I use but if that doesnt work out I dont think I'm going to have a choice but to get a 40. I would like to get large bore revolver in 454 or 460 too so I'm torn. Decisions , decisions :veryconfu

Echo
12-18-2017, 01:51 PM
That way lies madness.

I know, I've been there...:shock:

I'm not jus BEEN there, I'm THERE!

RED BEAR
12-19-2017, 07:19 PM
My better half frowns on my picking up peoples left behind brass because she knows as soon as I get more than ten rounds of any brass I will be looking for a home for it. It just can't set there without a gun to put it in.

adam_mac84
12-20-2017, 09:10 PM
I am trying to play the percentages this week on a snow melt to try to get to the club to snag some other people's brass that has been covered and uncovered by snow/melt. :veryconfu

nun2kute
12-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the disease of reloading cast boolits.
Any stray brass requires a new gun to shoot it out of, as well as all the rest of the paraphernalia.

By the way, 1911 pistols are an addiction all on their own. Owning just one won't do it.

Ditto

NoZombies
12-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Several years ago I ended up with a bunch of 9mm and .380 brass (10K+ between them) and I only owned one .380 and no 9mm guns at the time.

Fast forward a little bit, and I now own a 9mm SMG with a .380 upper and appropriate suppressors. It does go through the brass quickly...

gwpercle
12-21-2017, 05:16 PM
I have proven this equation more than once. OFB + BM = NG
OFB - once fired brass
BM - bullet mould
NG - new gun

For some reason I had no 9mm guns but two sets of 9mm luger dies.
I would sweep up at the local range and saved a bucket of 9mm brass....why was I keeping this....Pack Rat Syndrome - CTAA
can't throw anything away.

Well two years ago , while visiting my Dad , he hands me a Walther P38 and says you take this , I don't shoot it any more .

This led to the second equation: OFB + LD + NG = BM
LD - loading dies
I had to buy some 9mm boolit moulds now !

Gary

gwpercle
12-21-2017, 05:35 PM
My better half frowns on my picking up peoples left behind brass because she knows as soon as I get more than ten rounds of any brass I will be looking for a home for it. It just can't set there without a gun to put it in.

I wish we had a like button.....since we don't.... LIKE !

Victor N TN
12-23-2017, 03:24 PM
I'm not jus BEEN there, I'm THERE!

Me too...! Every now then I have to get out one of my 1911s and hold it, draw it and I have been accused by my wife of even fondling it. But each and every one of them has a story different from the others.

Each of mine like the H&G #34. It's a direct copy of the military 230 grain bullet.

higgins
12-23-2017, 04:20 PM
During the various brass shortages and election scares of the past several years, I traded fairly common brass I had for dies for rifles I didn't own, and don't yet own. I'm a dedicated brass scavenger and haven't had to buy brass for anything I reload since the late 1960s. In the interim I've probably sold, traded, and scrapped an honest ton of brass. Keeping brass on hand is never a mistake.

Not only have I not had to buy brass for what I shot years ago, when I got into military bolt rifles several years ago, I didn't have to buy any brass.

Motor
12-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Yeah man any usable brass is NOT put in the scrap bucket. I actually traded a bunch of berdan primed brass to someone once that wanted it. ;)

I would have gave it to him but he said he couldn't use what he was trading anyway.

Motor

Victor N TN
12-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Yeah man any usable brass is NOT put in the scrap bucket. I actually traded a bunch of berdan primed brass to someone once that wanted it. ;)

I would have gave it to him but he said he couldn't use what he was trading anyway.

Motor

I keep a hand full of Berdan brass in different calibers to make up length dummys to leave in the die box. I write on the side of the brass with a Sharpie what bullet and what rifle it's for.

Echo
12-25-2017, 01:28 AM
I was looking at my stash of 9mm range pickup brass and trying to decide if I should buy a 9mm barrel for my Romanian Tok. But I can quit any time, and I don't have a problem.

Wayne

Yeah, right...