PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Old IDEAL 311284

BruceB
11-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Been looking for this one for a while.

Although the 311284 is still a Lyman catalog item, most of the ones I've seen have the modern malady...too small in the critical diameters on nose and bands.

So, I waited for an "olde" version to show up, and finally got this excellent-condition single-cavity IDEAL from an Ebay seller. On measuring boolits from my first run, cast about an hour after my wife brought the mould home from the post office, I find the following:

nose diameter: .3000-.3005"

front band: .313-.3135"

base band: .314-.314"

All meaurements with Mitutoyo digital calipers, and measurements taken 90 degrees apart. Boolits were cast from straight WW, BruceB method (fast and hot).

With these measurements, I expect this mould will do well for my post-war #4 Enfield, which has a tighter barrel than many others I've seen. It obviously should serve for all my true .30-calibers, as well. Now, I can even send 45nut's 311284 home, too!!! (blush....I've had it too long!)

I paid more than the mould's APPARENT value, at $41.00, but if the dimensions are better than "modern" moulds, as I've found in a number of such cases now, I don't mind paying a bit extra. It's certainly more valuable to ME than an undersize modern job for about the same amount of money.

45nut
11-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Amazingly I have been wondering if I misplaced my mold somewhere here,plumb forgot you had it. One of the hazards of lending I guess but ........I knew it would turn up.
Good to hear you found a good'un. Maybe you would be agreeable to send along a few boolits from your new mold when you send that mold home?
Sure is good to see you back on the board,you have been conspicuously absent .
Any schedule posted at work for '06 yet?

BruceB
11-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Ken;

Well, I'm pleased to "relocate" your mould for you. I will most definitely include some boolits from the Ideal mould for your comparison. I'm really anticipating trying the new boolits in the BobS Garand load.

I've been involved in a considerable cyber shoot-out for the last few days over on Accurate Reloading, on the topic of buffalo hunting.... three pages of it! Over there, I am "Bren Mk1".

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/387108863

There's a party there who, if not the WORST anal orifice I've run into on the internet, is surely amongst the Guiness Record select few.

Parts of it were "interesting".

onceabull
11-20-2005, 04:03 PM
BruceB: looks like you ran into one of those"last word at any price" characters that abound on that board.. !! Good show for you ,btw,and congrats on your mould acq. Wish I had known what you were willing to pony,& I'm checking soon to see what my old DC 311284 on loan to Cobb Mt.Mac is throwing for him..He has threatened to keep it,and send back the brand new one I bought him as a present, Guess I better be careful on that deal !!! onceabull

The Nyack Kid
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
BruceB
ive been following the thead couse im from montana and i want to hunt buffalo some day . i thought you behaved quite well over there . the problem with that thead is that it turned into a "Keith vs O'Conner" brawl . those O'Conner flunkies have to do something when their "speed is the bestest" aguments fall flat..... Ol Jack and Elmer must be laughing thier selves silly watching all this .

PatMarlin
11-22-2005, 12:11 AM
OK- I'm jealous, but congrats on your find!

My modern (bout 5 years old) cast at .309... :roll: