PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

jonk
08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
As I surf the board and read, there are a lot of terms I don't get. I thought I'd run them by you.

Boolit: Ok, I get the whole 'boolit' vs. bullet thing. I still think it's stupid, but the board is great so I'm willing to deal with it. :wink: But why did someone start the term?

Soupcan: WTH is it? :?: Some sort of bullet design but what makes a 'soupcan' a soupcan?

Silhouette: Ditto. What silhouette? And whatever it is... "Silly wet" bugs me a bit too. :roll: Took me a minute to figure that one out!

Thanks!

snuffy
08-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I gleefully accept the "boolit" spelling as to refer to cast lead boolits. I use that in other forums, get called on it occasionally. If you're an elitist, then spell bullet correctly.

Soupcan refers to the corregations on steel soup/vegie cans. Look at the lee tumble lube boolits, see if they don't resemble the corregations on a soupcan.

Silhouette, refers to the phenomenon of looking at something against a bright background with little light on the subject. It will look black, or just the outside profile will show up. I shot a lot of handgun metallic silhouette, which is why I started casting BOOLITS! Now I'm into IDPA and IPSC, more reasons to cast BOOLITS.

dromia
08-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Boolits, its what 45nut the site owner calls his site. See his signature for the definition.

Soupcan, I've got a .30 cal soupcan mould. I don't know for sure why its called a soupcan but it certainly looks like one to me.

Silly wet, well you got that, seems a bit of fun to me.

Things get called names, your jonk, I'm dromia, why?

Because its what we chose to call ourselves, I've no problem with that personally.

I think names like these help give this board and our hobby some identity, especially on this faceless internet.

Me I come here for relaxation, enjoyment, sharing, learning and fun. I'm not going to let a few names get in the way of that. :-D

There are things in this world that bug me - but boolits, soupcan and sillywet just aren't any of them. :cbpour:

Heavy lead
08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Noothing matter with saying or spelling boolits. Simple boolits are boolits. Bullet is what Barney reached in his poocket foor!

45nut
08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Boolits is the term used back on the old shooters board before they closed it, it is a distinct term used by only one other group that I know of, I think it is Finnish, but since I am not conversant in Finnish it is just a guess.
http://www.naimisiin.info/haaopas/boolit.html

When I was sitting in front of a blank screen trying to induce a brainstorm to name a forum that did not exist, but had ties to the folks I was hoping to take part in a forum doomed to fail I kept trying different ideas, but many of the obvious choices were already taken. I was getting roadblocks at every turn because the domain names were already registered.
Coming up with something original and trying to keep the spirit intact that included "cast+ bullets"was insane, so I looked upon the past only to have what was obvious to me as a member of that cast room at shooters as a ideal name.
When the forum began there were only the past members of the shooters cb room and everyone knew what it was and accepted it, I never imagined over 6,200 members would be joining in on this stupid idea of a forum dedicated to a soon to be extinct craft, my idea was to help keep the hobby alive and with the core group we began with I was blessed to learn this hobby guided by some of the finest folks available.

Now , many of the members have no knowledge of the old board so it is a rather silly moniker it seems, but there is a precedence and it is a term now used on every continent except Antarctica to my knowledge.

My definition is in my signature, I hope this clarifies it somewhat.

gon2shoot
08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Are you opposed the term "hog leg " too? :-D:-D

imashooter2
08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
The Soup Can is a specific boolit. The Lee C309-113-F or the group buy clone. Not sure who coined the term.

Your head will explode if you every stumble onto one of the Cowboy boards where misspelling and euphemisms are an art form...

JeffinNZ
08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Adaptations of language.

"Bus" is a great example. Technically it is "omnibus". As such the word "bus" should always be preceeded by an apostrophy. eg: we travelled to the cast boolit shooting range on a 'bus.

The same applies to the word "phone", short for telephone and should always appear as 'phone.

Language is constantly evolving and we write and speak very differently now to how folk did 100 years ago. I personally do not like 'text' or 'sms' language used on mobile 'phones but it is another example of the evolution of language.

Here is something terrifying. Some over paid, highly educated, decaf latte supping, same sex shagging, anti child spanking, non fossil fuel burning, hemp suit wearing, tofu eating government official working for the dept of education in NZ, a few years back, ruled that students be allowed to use 'text'/'sms' language in high school exam papers. Well that's all good and well but it puts the education system completely out of whack with industry and so we produce a generation of kids incabable of communicating in the modern work place for which school has been grooming them. Oddly enough there was a subsequent change of direction in the ed. system shortly thereafter.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, adaptations of language. The silly wet thing I am sure is done by those who can't spell "silhouette".

That is all I have to say about that. Fuddy duddy out.

hydraulic
08-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I think we should avoid anything that distracts the readers attention from the subject under discussion. Clear, concise, simple language does the job of comunicating better than the use of cuteisms like Winnie, Remy, Muley, Wifey, etc. The use of Boolits is certainly an exception when the conditions under which it was created are understood, as 45 Nut has so ably done.

Blammer
08-20-2008, 11:58 PM
wait till you see

ww
acww
wcww
ohtww
craft
bohica

I digress...

Kuato
08-21-2008, 03:45 AM
Jonk, switch to decaf will ya...

Calamity Jake
08-21-2008, 08:38 AM
As 45nut says the term "BOOLET" came from the old shooters board(as I was a member there) and I beleave it was first used by floodgate or maybe beagle, whoever it was, I love it!!

felix
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Boooooolit first used by Pat, my wife, 40 years ago. I am sure it was used by other folks over time. Shuz was the person who resurrected it for our board at Shooters. Soupcan is Buckshot's name for the 113F. Condoms was the name given to copper clad bullets by Norman Johnson on the cast bullets board. ... felix

floodgate
08-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Jake:

Not me! It was there when I joined up in early 2000. I think 45nut explained it in his post above.

Floodgate

Pawpaw
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
The one that used to drive me crazy on another, now defunct board, was WECSOG, used to describe a firearm that had been heavily modified, heavily gun-smithed with questionable results.

Wiley E Coyote School of Gunsmithing

jonk
08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Now see? The explanation for boolit was- when you get down to it- simple, logical, and satisfying.

I'm still unclear on 'soup can.' I do see the resemblence but to take the idea to an extreme, I'd say that only microlube full wadcutters would really fit this bill. If someone offered to make me a 'soupcan mold' I'd have no clue how it would differ from a Loverlin (named after designer, that makes sense), bore rider, etc. So still... if you hear 'soupcan' what type of bullet does that bring to mind- or boolit?

Silhouette still puzzles me greatly. I KNOW what a silhouette is. I know what silhouette shooting is. But why is one design a 'silhouette' bullet and another not? Seems to me I can shoot that target appearing in silhouette with any kind of bullet, cast or jacketed.

Hog leg- it doesn't bother me, nor do abbreviations- WW, WQWW, ACWW, LLA, etc. We all know of what we speak and if we don't we'll quickly learn.

I do confess to being a bit of a nitpicker; but it comes from being a language teacher by trade (German) and a pedant by nature. :wink:

cbrick
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
"Silly Wet" was first used to the best of my recollection by a ghost writer that did articles in the now defunct monthly newspaper "The National Silhouette Report". The writer, I ferget[smilie=1: his name at the monemt, wrote humor articles about handgun silhouette shooting as a 3rd grade educated country bumpkin. Some of these articles were actually pretty funny and the term "silly wet" kinda stuck.

Rick

JeffinNZ
08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
BLAMMER - "Craft". Love that one!!!!

BeeMan
08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Adaptations of language.

Here is something terrifying. Some over paid, highly educated, decaf latte supping, same sex shagging, anti child spanking, non fossil fuel burning, hemp suit wearing, tofu eating government official working for the dept of education in NZ, a few years back, ruled that students be allowed to use 'text'/'sms' language in high school exam papers.

Ah yes, bureaucratic lackeys are the same, the world over.

Boolits and soup cans - what's not to like?

Shotgun Luckey
08-21-2008, 07:17 PM
and I thought soupcans was a wad cutter boolit, cuz it looked like a soupcan.

Bret4207
08-23-2008, 08:42 AM
A silhouette design is supposed to be intended for that sport. It'll be accurate, fairly heavy and most of all, be a sales gimmick. Any accurate, fairly heavy for the caliber design can be a silly wet boolit.

Soupcan- As I recall the Lee 30-113FN design got called a soup can because it's ballistic co efficient was about like a soup cans. This was coined back when Speer still marketed a bullet know as "The Flying Ashcan", meaning a bullet that smacked it's target about like am ashcan hitting you in the chest at 900 fps. You can see where the idea went.

Dennis Eugene
08-23-2008, 08:13 PM
OK, Jonk I can figger out all them thar terms 'cept one WTH is a pedant? Dennis

mike in co
08-23-2008, 11:24 PM
jonk,
the difference is this is "our" shooting world, not your classroom.
( are you of german desent also...that would explain some..i am prussian..the strict germanic military families)

so as one said back up on the caffine, undo the knot in your shorts, and remember this is a member driven "sport"...not a classroom...we make the rules....not your professor.

i personally like the uniqueness of OUR cast boolit sport.

mike in co

mike in co
08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
...but as long as you brought up a terminology thread.....

there is one that puts my shorts in a knot.

a round of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition typically consists 4 parts:
1) a case ..typically brass, aluminium, or steel.
2) a primer...typically brass with or without a coating...boxer or berdan in style
3) powder...lots of types and styles...main source of power

AND FOURTH.
the projectile..it is called a bullet( or here a boolit)PERIOD.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BULLET HEAD, NOR A PILL.
peolple that use these terms show a lack of reasonable education, nor an understanding of the reloading hobby.

have any of you heard of the sierra pill company or the berger bullet head company ?

not one company in the shooting sports field uses either term.

stepping down from my soapbox
( and do not ask me about headspace/case clearance)

mike in co

montana_charlie
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Mike,
I share your dislike for 'bullet head', but I can accept 'pill' when it's just used to add variety to the terms in a sentence..or a short paragraph. It's a writing style thing.
But, if the chapter on bullets in a book was titled "Pills"...and pill was used throughout the entire coverage of the subject...I would agree with you that it is bad 'terminology'.

I cringe when a loaded round is called a 'bullet', and I guess that terminology is where 'bullet head' grew from. That one also makes my skin crawl.

WTH is a pedant?
Type pedant into the search box on Google and see what you see...
CM

floodgate
08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Dennis Eugene:

Pedant: "peed-ant" n.: a pissant someone stomped on.

Seriously, a scholar, especially one who carries scholarship to a fussy extreme (like me on the subject of Ideal moulds).

And re: "Silhouette bullets": the term sometimes refers to nose designs intended to be "sticky" on impact, to transfer maximum momentum to the steel targets.

"I went down to the sports store and asked for a box of .38 bullets. The kid behind the counter asked me what gun I wanted them for. "What'ya tryin' to do, register my guns?? Just gimme a box of .38 bullets." Man, they was expensive, an' just a little box, too. Went out to the range, got out my pistol, opened the box,...an' they wasn't nothing there but BULLET HEADS!!!

Floodgate

Crash_Corrigan
08-24-2008, 11:50 AM
wait till you see

ww Wheel Weights
acww Air Cooled above
wcww Water Cooled above
ohtww Oven Heat Treated above
craft What?
bohica What?

I digress...

I have been hanging out here for some time but craft and bohica escape me?

imashooter2
08-24-2008, 01:19 PM
craft What?
bohica What?

I digress...

I have been hanging out here for some time but craft and bohica escape me?

BOHICA is "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again"

From the list I thought craft would be "to make with skill" as in "I need to craft a response." But that's a dictionary definition, so I'm probably wrong.

cbrick
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Silhouette still puzzles me greatly. I KNOW what a silhouette is. I know what silhouette shooting is. But why is one design a 'silhouette' bullet and another not? Seems to me I can shoot that target appearing in silhouette with any kind of bullet, cast or jacketed.

RCBS uses "Silhouette" in mould names in several calibers and as far as I know it is a referal to meplat. Cast boolits deisgned for hunting rounds normally have a generous meplat (70% plus) for a large bleeding hole punched through and thus a lower BC. In handgun silhouette punching a hole is meaningless and muzzle velocities are normally lower than that of a hunting rifle, the 357 and 44 mag are good examples. The BC is important to keep velocities up (and thus momentum) out to 200 meters and the "Silhouette boolit" will have a smaller meplat or higher BC.

The RCBS 180 gr. 357 "silhouette boolit" is amazingly accurate at 200 meters out of my revolver.

Rick

mike in co
08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Mike,
I share your dislike for 'bullet head', but I can accept 'pill' when it's just used to add variety to the terms in a sentence..or a short paragraph. It's a writing style thing.
But, if the chapter on bullets in a book was titled "Pills"...and pill was used throughout the entire coverage of the subject...I would agree with you that it is bad 'terminology'.

I cringe when a loaded round is called a 'bullet', and I guess that terminology is where 'bullet head' grew from. That one also makes my skin crawl.

Type pedant into the search box on Google and see what you see...
CM
charlie, i agree...seems that those that call a bullet a head/bullet head also are the ones that call a round of ammunition a bullet....as i said a complete lack of reasonable education in our shooting sport.

mike in co

Tom W.
08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=floodgate;384893]Dennis Eugene:

"I went down to the sports store and asked for a box of .38 bullets. The kid behind the counter asked me what gun I wanted them for. "What'ya tryin' to do, register my guns?? Just gimme a box of .38 bullets." Man, they was expensive, an' just a little box, too. Went out to the range, got out my pistol, opened the box,...an' they wasn't nothing there but BULLET HEADS!!!

Wow! A store where a kid actually sold what was asked for. FantasyLand for sure!

wills
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
The term “Boolit”, although perhaps coined in jest, is a useful term. It has been adopted by the cognoscenti in this sport, to refer to a cast bullet and it distinguishes their writings. If you enter the term Boolit in a search engine, your results will refer to cast bullets, not round marks at the beginning or sentences, not jacketed bullets, nor ignorant drivel by people who do not know what they are writing about. Think of it as a technical term.

If you loose your “bookmark” it is an easy way to find this site.

When criticized for occasionally ending a sentence on a preposition, Winston Churchill replied, “This is the type of errant pedantry up with which I will not put.” http://www.irmi.com/EXPERT/Articles/2003/Blake02.aspx

EMC45
08-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I have seen tips recently. A guy was wanting to trade some .243 "tips" for some .223 "tips" for reloading.

montana_charlie
08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
A guy was wanting to trade some .243 "tips" for some .223 "tips" for reloading.
I wonder what his reloading manual has to say about 'tips'...
if he has one.
CM

mike in co
08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I have seen tips recently. A guy was wanting to trade some .243 "tips" for some .223 "tips" for reloading.

you buy those from the hornady tip company and from the remington tip company.

mike in co

Fleataxi
08-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Adaptations of language.

"Bus" is a great example. Technically it is "omnibus". As such the word "bus" should always be preceeded by an apostrophy. eg: we travelled to the cast boolit shooting range on a 'bus.

The same applies to the word "phone", short for telephone and should always appear as 'phone.

Language is constantly evolving and we write and speak very differently now to how folk did 100 years ago. I personally do not like 'text' or 'sms' language used on mobile 'phones but it is another example of the evolution of language.

Here is something terrifying. Some over paid, highly educated, decaf latte supping, same sex shagging, anti child spanking, non fossil fuel burning, hemp suit wearing, tofu eating government official working for the dept of education in NZ, a few years back, ruled that students be allowed to use 'text'/'sms' language in high school exam papers. Well that's all good and well but it puts the education system completely out of whack with industry and so we produce a generation of kids incabable of communicating in the modern work place for which school has been grooming them. Oddly enough there was a subsequent change of direction in the ed. system shortly thereafter.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, adaptations of language. The silly wet thing I am sure is done by those who can't spell "silhouette".

That is all I have to say about that. Fuddy duddy out.

Jeff: Sorry, but to be a True "Language Nit-Picker" you would have needed to put hyphens between most of the phrases describing the bureacrat, since "anti child spanking" can be interpreted at least two different ways depending on where the hyphens were placed! :mrgreen:

Oops! [smilie=2:

Fleataxi

wills
08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
I wonder what his reloading manual has to say about 'tips'...
if he has one.
CM

Two good tips are; buy low, and sell high

Bigjohn
08-25-2008, 12:41 AM
While on the subect of langauge evolving; you can add 'Farding' (as previously mentioned on this site) and 'Fardleberry'.
[smilie=1:

If you don't know what they mean; try goooooogle. :-D

Some new terminology find on this site does throw me off track now and again; but thats part of what I like about this place; where among friends.

John.

Newtire
08-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I have a co-worker who constantly uses acronyms to impress people who don't know what they mean. Nothing beats a bunch of good ones to throw back at people like him. The acronyms on this group are not like that. On this place, they are all about fun.

My favorite is SWMBO-in referring to the one who's muffin tins are not to be used for ingot making.