PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with quickloads

megasupermagnum
12-14-2017, 10:05 PM
I was hoping someone would run a load for me, just to verify it is safe. The load is as follows for .327 federal.

Star line brass, trimmed 1.2", unsure of case capacity
CCI 500 primer
6.2 gr Bluedot
Accurate molds 31-120k sized .314 and weights an average 122 grains (http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-120K-D.png)
Overall length loaded is 1.55" with .3" of the bullet in the case.
If I remember correctly, I think I am getting around 925 fps from my 1.8" barrel LCR.

I tried these all the way up to 7.0 grains, but that is obviously over pressure. At 6.5 it seems ok, but primers are relatively flat.

earlmck
12-15-2017, 01:39 AM
QL thinks your load would generate just 15k psi, but also predicts a velocity 200 fps below what you are getting. I have to plug in 7.5 grains of the Blue Dot before approaching the velocity you are getting with just 6.2 grains. And QL thinks that comes with 27k psi. So it doesn't look like QL is doing a very good job predicting with the 327 Federal and Blue Dot powder.

megasupermagnum
12-15-2017, 02:23 AM
Thanks for trying. I figure pressure at 6.2 gr should be ballpark 35k-45k psi, but that's just a WAG based on pressure signs. I just wanted to put my mind at ease, but I guess quickloads wont help.

BCB
12-15-2017, 07:58 AM
megaspermagnum...

Was the velocity you mentioned from actually using a chronograph, or from a predicted velocity from a manual?...

Plus, there could be different burn rates for a given powder. The Blue Dot you are using could be slightly faster?...

I have adjusted burn rates on QL with actual chronograph result and I get better prediction for future loads with the same components...

Good-luck...BCB

megasupermagnum
12-15-2017, 12:49 PM
That was actual chronograph results, I usually test around 6-8' from the muzzle. I'm just going by memory, but it was definitely 900-925 fps. I am using a newer lot of Bluedot, probably made in 2014. I have tried some other combos. I went up to 7.2 grains Bluedot with remington primers, but that produced sticky extraction. I also tried with Federal small rifle primers, and oddly enough they seemed to be about the same. I tried with some CCI SP mag primers, and those definitely raised pressures. These CCI 500 regular small pistol primers seem middle of the road. Also, at first sized to .313" I could shoot 6.5 gr without problems, but when I went to .314 primers were flat. 6.0-6.2 seems to be the sweet spot, but without any real load data, its all a WAG. I only ever found a single Bluedot load in a manual for the 327 Federal, and I think it was for a 110gr RNPB cast. I think I remember 7.4 grains.

megasupermagnum
12-15-2017, 11:01 PM
A thought occurred, did you happen to accidentally hit 357 instead of 327? Those pressures look awful close to a 125 grain in a 357 at these charges.

earlmck
12-16-2017, 02:49 AM
No, I was using QL's 327 Federal stuff. Just for grins I tried a .357 with 125 grain bullet. QL predicts 6500 psi for that one and 550 fps with that short barrel. I haven't used Blue Dot for a long time and so do not have any experience with comparing my actuals to QL's predictions for the powder. So I have no idea if QL has faulty parameters for their Blue Dot, or if you have an unusually hot batch of the stuff. But I have to go up to Power Pistol to have QL reach the velocities you are reaching with your batch of Blue Dot at those charge weights.

megasupermagnum
12-16-2017, 03:32 PM
I've used a lot of Bluedot, more than any other powder by far. This lot seems to provide velocities on par with any of the older stuff I've used.