PDA

View Full Version : The ones that got away.

Bazoo
12-11-2017, 11:55 PM
A few guns I have owned, and traded I really regret.

Of the ones i've owned,

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 270 WB magnum
Marlin 1894c 357 rifle
Remington 760 BDL 30-06.
Blackhawk 357
Savage 111 30-06

And a few I seen at the store, and might coulda traded but had to let go.

Ruger m77 mk II 30-06, stainless with boat paddle stock
New model single six, pre label
Kimber lightweight 45 full size 1911 made in oregon dual tone.

Whats on yalls list?

~Bazoo

JWT
12-11-2017, 11:56 PM
I regret passing on a Johnson and a Viet Nam combat shotgun.

country gent
12-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Several I regreat letting go are a Remington 700 varmint (early 80s made) in 243 win. It was one of the best shooting out of the box rifles I owned. with 90grn bullets it would put 5 rounds touching all day long. A 28 gage 870 that was a dream to carry and use for rabbits and pheasants. It was light carried well and didn't beat me up. I'm not sorry about where it went though, I sold it to a neighbor for his sons Christmas present one year, his first shotgun. Last was a S&W model 27 5 1/2" that was a tack driver.

beemer
12-12-2017, 01:09 AM
Getting ready to go to bed and I don't want to think about it and have bad dreams.

Dave

Bazoo
12-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Seems I tend to think about it late at night myself.

slownsteady22
12-12-2017, 02:00 AM
375 H&H magnum win safari grade...........

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
12-12-2017, 02:46 AM
A while ago, I was in negotiation for a Chicago palm pistol. I thought that I would have the owner bring it to our club meeting for show and tell. I did say I was planing to buy it.
One of the members, who I thought was a friend, stole it from under me. His excuse was, he asked and the guy sold it to him. I know he lied, because he had a FFL and I found out later, was selling for the guy. Will no longer deal with or help him with anything.
I have never taken anything to a meeting for show and tell again. Hardly go to any meeting anymore.
I still dream about it from time to time.

jeepguy242
12-12-2017, 03:18 AM
Jessica. Broke my heart in two

30 years and I’m still not over her

lightman
12-12-2017, 06:56 AM
A S&W "N" frame at a gun show. I think it was originally a M-28 that had a 44 barrel and a 44 spl cylinder fitted to it. It was a parts gun and was pretty cheap. It would have made a good everyday carry piece. Shoulda bought it. Another was a Ruger Old Army stainless with the 1976 american Liberty stamp on it.

quack1
12-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Only one. A Colt-Burgess 44-40. I shoot and hunt with every gun I own, this one was in way too good of condition to do that. Bluing and wood were 80-90% and the barrel was perfect inside. If I remember right, less than 5,000 made in the early 1880's. Wasn't really looking for one, but a guy asked me if I wanted to buy it, and the price was too good to pass it up. Sold it around 30 years ago and still think about how stupid I was.

FISH4BUGS
12-12-2017, 09:20 AM
S&W Triple lock in 44 special - missed a deal on GB
S&W 4 screw 22 Jet 8 3/8" - traded for something. I don't remember what.
Colt New Service 44 special target - didn't have the money at the time
Pre war Colt SAA in 44 special - 98% mint - sold it because of tax problems but got the IRS off my butt
NIB Colt unfired 1920's era Officer's Model Match in 32 Colt - traded it for something
Those are the one I remember - there are many more I am sure.

dale2242
12-12-2017, 09:24 AM
A Pre64 Model 70 in 22 Hornet.
An M1 Garand tanker model in .308.
Traded them both off for something I though I needed more.

Petrol & Powder
12-12-2017, 09:43 AM
A very early Ruger MKII (1982) bull barrel that shot like a target rifle.

A Remington 541T standard barrel rifle that shot like the Ruger above.

An early Colt Lightweight Commander

A pre-ban H&K 91

About 75% of the S&W K-frames I traded and 100% of the Ruger DA Six series guns I traded.

Bent Ramrod
12-12-2017, 09:55 AM
I walked into the Gun Store in the early ‘70’s and there on Consignment was a deluxe takedown Winchester 1895, in the leg-of-mutton case. It was going for about what I was paying at the time for junker Single Shots because, as the clerk explained to me, it was in an unpopular caliber, .303 British. I thought that might be cool to have for a while, and might eventually make pretty good trading stock, but I wasn’t interested in or set up for the caliber, it wasn’t really in my line of collector/accumulator/shooter interest, and I wasn’t into guns as “investments,” so I passed it up. Every time I go to a real Antique Arms Show, I realize what an idiot I was.

Another one was in my line, a Wilbur Hauck single shot in .240 Page Super Pooper. Needed the stock sanded and finished and the price was right, but I just wasn’t in the mood, for some reason. The Gun Show Gods don’t like it when you turn up your nose at their largesse. I didn’t find anything even remotely interesting for almost the next three years.

rockrat
12-12-2017, 11:11 AM
H/K 53 for $1,200 really wanted a 51, but once I decided to get it, it had already been sold.
Ruger 512 smoothbore like to have this one back
Wichita 357 supermag also this one
Hotchkiss revolving cannon---came so close to buying it, he had it priced low!
Peuteux 25mm cannon w/200 rnds ammo (worth 10x what it would have cost--no place to shoot it then)
Grandads M-42 .410 shotgun I let go in a moment of weakness
1892 winchester in 25-20 with a sewer pipe bore and no finish. $200 IIRC just a few years ago

Smoke4320
12-12-2017, 11:16 AM
all matching German Luger, all matching Russian SVT.
Both in like new condition .. The Luger was a field capture with written history. I personally knew the daughter of the army solder who brought it back

Hickory
12-12-2017, 11:41 AM
I once had a Benelli 32 wadcutter pistol that was made as a practice gun for the 1984 or 1988 Italian Olympic team.
About 150 total were manufactured and all but two were imported into the US, serial number on mine was 032 and at 50 feet from a rest it could put 5 rounds in a single hole.

I made the mistake of showing it to a guy with too much money at a time when I needed some money. Bad combination.

RGrosz
12-12-2017, 12:44 PM
A winchester 670 in 30-06. Traded it away for another 30-06 that kicked me to death. traded that rifle for a Rem 788 in 308 that I no longer have. Also wish for the first pistol I ever shot. e Ruger 357 Blackhawk. The first time I shot it was at a feral cat sitting on a fence post. the cat just moved back a couple of feet and fell to the ground. Figured that pistol shooting wasn't too hard. Wrong. But still do some shooting. Carried it for a while when I got hired to cop in my home town. Traded it away to get my Ruger Security Six. Still got that one but wish I had the Blackhawk too. Oh well, maybe some day I'll see one like them and have the money.
Rob

JRPVT
12-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Back in '73/'74, one of the guys was headed overseas..picked up two Colts, an Ejercito Argentina 1911/ Nickel; and a funny looking 45 Colt revolver. Turns out the funny revolver was a Bisley, it was maybe 80%, also nickel. The 1911 was 95%, looked out of the box. Both long gone....and for very little money. Who knew?

Mytmousemalibu
12-12-2017, 01:17 PM
A minty fresh Winchester model 9422 in .22mag

A High Standard H-D Military

Marlin model 882 in .22mag blued/laminate stock. I bought this gun brand new in the later 90's on a vacation trip from an outfitter in Gunnison, CO.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Oh, my list is a long list, as I am a bit of a horse trader in all my hobbies and/or necessities of life. Always looking to find a better thing.

BUT, the one I regret the most, is a Ruger 77/22 in 22LR, I bought it new, and I used it in League shooting. It had an action job to make the trigger as crisp and clean as any I've ever pulled...which says a lot for a Ruger. Now the model 77/22 (in general) had issues with the two piece bolt...My rifle must have been one, that had those two pieces mated perfectly[the main issue with them], as the gun could just plain shoot. The operator[me] was surely the weakest link in all my league shooting, when I used that rifle. A couple years after I quit shooting league, I brought the gun (with scope removed) to the one local gunshow I work at, and put it on the table with a stupid high price...a fellow competitor seen it (he was also a vendor at this gunshow), and we started haggling over the long weekend. I bet he fawned over it and talked to me about it 20 times during that show.

I left that show and went home with a pocket full of Benjamins and he went home with my rifle :(

Edited: Oh yeah, I forgot. I also had a Ruger Number 1 in 223rem. I owned it [and also sold it] in the early 1990s, before I started reloading, so it only got factory ammo. With Hornady varmint ammo, it was crazy accurate, and this was long before I honed my benchrest techniques in League, I recall one time at the range, a grasshopper just happened to jump onto my target (100 yard berm)..Boom, one shot, I should have saved that splattered target.

:Fire:

square butte
12-12-2017, 04:47 PM
You would have to bring that up . . .. Not too many have gotten away since that one though

Uncle R.
12-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Had one like that myself.
She was a neighbor, my sister's best friend, and the magical summer we were both 14 we found ourselves in love like only youth can be.

She was my first love, and sweeter than maple syrup on ice cream. I'm not ashamed to say that a kiss from her would make my head swim like I'd had too much whiskey.

Sadly for us, her father took a job in another state. Our romance was over almost before it began. She moved away with her family and was lost to me - apparently forever. I've looked online from time to time but never found any reference to her or her family. I hope she married well, had many children and grandchildren, and lived a life filled with happiness.

It's been over 40 years since I last saw her. I've been blessed in my own life and known much happiness, but I still think of her sometimes. I wonder sometimes how her life turned out, and if she ever thinks of me.

Uncle R.

bedbugbilly
12-12-2017, 06:01 PM
The one I really regret letting slip through my fingers was an original Winchester Model 97 pump "trench gun" complete with the bayonet. My wife and I had just gotten married, were both going to college and money was beyond being tight. I ws driving on my way to apply for a job - which were short - and I saw a garage sale. I stopped in to look and the woman was selling her deceased husband's things. In the corner of the garage the Winchester was leaned against the wall - she had a $25 tag on it. I knew immediately what it was but just didn't have ANY spare cash to purchase it. This was back in the days when gas was 30 to 35 cents a gallon. I often wondered what happened to that Winchester but i managed to survive all these years without having it. LOL

Hogtamer
12-12-2017, 06:10 PM
browning 20 ga superposed pigeon grade
This is the worst all time castboolits thread ever.
:veryconfu

Bazoo
12-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Hogtamer, Im using others misjudgment to help me cope with mine!

I had a near mint winchester 9422 in 22lr about.... 2004 or so. It let 2 in when it cycled and I sent it back to winchester. It returned with the same problem, and I traded it and a single six for one of several marlin 1894c's i've had. Dumb... Coulda sent the winchester to someone and had it fixed for 100 or less I bet. Once I traded a blackhawk in 357 for a cheap mossberg 12 gauge.... why i dont know.

I had an apache nylon 66 for a while, unfired with the sticker. I bought it off an old man that Im friends with and was sure it was unfired. I kept it unfired for about 2 weeks or so and then fired it. It jammed, letting 2 in again. I shoulda had it fixed and kept it... I traded it for nothing to another friend.

Interesting things others have traded off or let pass.

~Bazoo

trails4u
12-13-2017, 12:00 AM
870 Wingmaster 12ga that belonged to my father.....it was the gun I learned to shoot, and the one I hunted everything with. Had the slug barrel as well with the old-school weaver quik-point on it. Went to the gun cabinet one day to fetch it and go shoot some squirrels...it was gone. Apparently the family car needed some tires, so dad sold it. I could still choke him....and someday might. I had cash in the bank....but the hard-headed SOB :) sold it for a song. I did.....years later....find out who he sold it to (a co-worker) and at some point I looked the guy up....just never could figure out how to make 'that' phone call.

David2011
12-13-2017, 12:29 AM
I've only sold three guns the best I recall. I was so unhappy over the first one that I vowed to only do that for a good reason in the future. The first to go was a 4-5/8" Single Six Convertible with the American Liberty bicentennial stamp. I was young and newlywed. Wife didn't grow up around guns and was afraid of them so I said I would sell all but my first .22 rifle. After selling that pistol I immediately agonized that I lost my terrific little six shooter. I decided to get her to shoot before getting rid of anything else and she loved shooting. She suddenly couldn't understand why people were afraid guns. That was the last of that! She got a 10/22 Sporter for Christmas that year. I sold a Super Blackhawk because I had lost access to other peoples' reloading equipment and it was too expensive to shoot. I traded it for a 1981 Ruger MKI that I still have. I would like to replace it now but have a 7.5" Blackhawk in .45 Colt and a Contender with a 14" .44 Mag barrel so that power level is covered. I also sold an SKS that I took as collateral. Don't miss it at all.

Just remembered another one I sold but it was for a good cause. I sold a Springfield Armory 1911 to a friend after Katrina because he had no firearms and needed one. It was a great shooter and I wish I hadn't sold it but don't have any heartburn over helping a friend.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-13-2017, 12:36 PM
870 Wingmaster 12ga that belonged to my father.....it was the gun I learned to shoot, and the one I hunted everything with. Had the slug barrel as well with the old-school weaver quik-point on it. Went to the gun cabinet one day to fetch it and go shoot some squirrels...it was gone. Apparently the family car needed some tires, so dad sold it. I could still choke him....and someday might. I had cash in the bank....but the hard-headed SOB :) sold it for a song. I did.....years later....find out who he sold it to (a co-worker) and at some point I looked the guy up....just never could figure out how to make 'that' phone call.

This story reminds me of another one. A gun that I never had my hands on, but in hindsight, it's loss was truly a sad event for me.

Right after my Dad (God rest his soul) got home after WWII, he joined the local American Legion. He remained a active member, (including playing Taps at memorial days services), til his health wouldn't let him travel back to our home town.

The following, I learned years after the fact.

About the time it was legal for me to deer hunt, the Legion choose to upgrade their Issued firearms from the nickel (or chrome) plated 30-40 Krag parade rifles (fully functional rifles) to standard M1 Garands. There wasn't enough of the rifles for each member to buy one, so they had a raffle/sale (I believe the price was $1, to make it a legal transaction for the club), My Dad's ticket was pulled first, so he had first choice and picked a nice one.

About this same time, my Dad bought a single shot 20ga shotgun for me to hunt with, We made a few trips hunting Grouse in the woods, and over the next few years we hunted deer also. While my Dad bought that shotgun, I guess a Marlin 30-30 levergun caught his eye. And, I guess he traded that Parade Krag "Even-Steven" for a new Marlin, at the local hardware store.

So, when I learned this (again, about 15 or so, years later), was when I started getting into target shooting and collecting guns. During a conversation with my Dad, I remembered the Parade gun, and asked him about it and where it was? He told me was a Krag, a chrome plated parade gun, most of them had chrome peeling off, and that's why the Legion replaced them, but he got one that was in mint condition. He then told me that story about trading it.
I was crushed that he let go of such a collectible rifle with lots of sentimental value for him (and for me), as I remember that he participated in funeral honors with it, way back then.

Honestly, I don't remember the Marlin at all, He told me that he didn't like the marlin and sold it a couple years after he got it. And apparently, he wasn't that impressed with the chrome plated krag either.

MaLar
12-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Win 95 takedown in 35 WCF. I have to shoot all my guns also. This was not too bad to make shoot 30-40 Krag brass was a little short but worked. I sat under a large Pine one hunting trip. Two does came playing and feeding by me never even knew I was there. I just watched them go by never even raised the rifle. Was an either sex hunt and I went without that year. I remember that hunt more than any other. I sat there wondering what other kind of hunting stories this fine old rifle could tell. Wish I still had the fine old gun, needed the money more than it.

Bazoo
12-13-2017, 10:48 PM
MaLar, thanks for sharing that. A hunting story like that is what stays with me.

trails4u
12-13-2017, 11:03 PM
This story reminds me of another one. A gun that I never had my hands on, but in hindsight, it's loss was truly a sad event for me.

Right after my Dad (God rest his soul) got home after WWII, he joined the local American Legion. He remained a active member, (including playing Taps at memorial days services), til his health wouldn't let him travel back to our home town.

The following, I learned years after the fact.

About the time it was legal for me to deer hunt, the Legion choose to upgrade their Issued firearms from the nickel (or chrome) plated 30-40 Krag parade rifles (fully functional rifles) to standard M1 Garands. There wasn't enough of the rifles for each member to buy one, so they had a raffle/sale (I believe the price was $1, to make it a legal transaction for the club), My Dad's ticket was pulled first, so he had first choice and picked a nice one.

About this same time, my Dad bought a single shot 20ga shotgun for me to hunt with, We made a few trips hunting Grouse in the woods, and over the next few years we hunted deer also. While my Dad bought that shotgun, I guess a Marlin 30-30 levergun caught his eye. And, I guess he traded that Parade Krag "Even-Steven" for a new Marlin, at the local hardware store.

So, when I learned this (again, about 15 or so, years later), was when I started getting into target shooting and collecting guns. During a conversation with my Dad, I remembered the Parade gun, and asked him about it and where it was? He told me was a Krag, a chrome plated parade gun, most of them had chrome peeling off, and that's why the Legion replaced them, but he got one that was in mint condition. He then told me that story about trading it.
I was crushed that he let go of such a collectible rifle with lots of sentimental value for him (and for me), as I remember that he participated in funeral honors with it, way back then.

Honestly, I don't remember the Marlin at all, He told me that he didn't like the marlin and sold it a couple years after he got it. And apparently, he wasn't that impressed with the chrome plated krag either.

The thing that continues to 'haunt' me is that I know where dad's shotgun is.... I have a name, and a phone number.....I've had it for years. I just can't figure out how to make that call. "Hey...I'm so-and-so...and 30 years ago, my dad sold you a shotgun....and I want it." Just haven't ever figured that out.....

Rufus Krile
12-13-2017, 11:25 PM
My mother decided that my nephew should be the family member to inherit all of my father's guns... Model 11 Remington 12g a, 2 Rem 1100's in 20ga, and a model 34 Remington 22lr. What the old dear failed to realize was that the model 11 was mine and had been left at their house for my father to use on Pheasants. He also seems to have come away with my collection (small tho' it be) of pre1900 silver dollars. Haven't said a word about any of it... peace in the family.

Bazoo
12-13-2017, 11:33 PM
The thing that continues to 'haunt' me is that I know where dad's shotgun is.... I have a name, and a phone number.....I've had it for years. I just can't figure out how to make that call. "Hey...I'm so-and-so...and 30 years ago, my dad sold you a shotgun....and I want it." Just haven't ever figured that out.....

From the sounds of it, the person that has the shotgun has some attachment to it, keeping it 30 years. He may very well understand and be willing to part with it. I think you have pretty good odds.

~Bazoo

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-14-2017, 01:01 PM

I have made a call like that.... another one of my Long storys, I've save for another time.

But, honestly it is an easy call to make. Just be honest. Since so much time has passed, ask if they remember your Dad, start telling your story that you posted here, assuming he still has the gun, casually ask if the gun has become sentimental to him or his family. He will assume why you are calling, so I wouldn't even ask about buying it back, until he brings it up. Honestly if he doesn't bring it up, and the call has got on for some time, then it's time to make a judgement, as to whether he seems like he might be willing to part with it, then maybe bring up that you want to buy it back...or just end the call if it seems otherwise.
Good Luck.

Thin Man
12-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Many years ago I was standing near the entry doors of a local gun show. All of the firearms being brought into the room through that door were being "cleared" of ammo (if any was present) from the firearm. An older gentleman walked in with a Walther box. He removed the PPK (.22 LR caliber) from the box for the officer at the door and emptied the magazine, then showed that the chamber was empty. The owner explained he wanted to sell the pistol and declared his asking price, which was very low. The pistol looked excellent and I was waiting for him to move away from the door so I could buy it. Too late. The check-in officer bought it immediately. After the seller had walked away I approached the new owner and asked his plans for the pistol - keep it, sell it, or whatever. He answered he would sell it, just not right now as the line of people waiting to get into the show was long and he needed to keep the line flowing. I checked back with him one time, but he was still busy working. I checked back a second time when the line was gone. Then he stated he had already sold the pistol. I had been looking for that variant a long time, and still want one. Just telling this story makes my stomach churn. Aw, rats.

dverna
12-15-2017, 09:00 AM
M700 Varmint in .222
K-38
S&W M 19
M700 .308

Forgot to add Colt Officers Model

NoZombies
12-15-2017, 11:26 AM
For me the list would be a fairly long one, but the bright side of it in my case is that without some of those things moving on, I wouldn't have had the chance to get some others that I have truly loved.

RED BEAR
12-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Snub nose smith and Wesson 44 mag stainless (1 of 5000). Was stolen from house in the 80s. Have missed that gun ever since. Got some back but that was one of the ones I didn't. Thief got probation for breaking into my house and several others. Justice? Also sold a 1903 colt 32auto that wish I had back.

MT Gianni
12-17-2017, 01:19 AM
I have sold off and traded off more than a few guns and will still do so. The one I wish I had back is a Model 28 Smith 357 I thought was a little too heavy.
Three that haunt me are an H&K P7 M8 squeeze cock 9mm I just could not come up with the cash for. The other two I saw on break while working and they were gone by the time I got off and back there. One was a 1950 era Smith mode 24 Target 4" 44 special and the other a mint condition model 58 41 Magnum.

fixit
12-17-2017, 09:35 PM
An Ithica 37 grey rat, trunk gun. A friend wanted 40 bucks for it, but I don’t wasn’t interested because it was 16 gauge and didn’t think I wanted to venture into that bore. This was back in 78 or 79, but even then, that was a steal

PULSAR
12-17-2017, 11:15 PM
Parker Hale rifle in 275 Rigby .Was at a gun show with a ridiculously low price on it. No one seemed to know anything about it . It was absolutely mint condition

Bazoo
12-18-2017, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies, very neat and intersting stories.

Gunslinger1911
12-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Back in collage, around 1979-80. LGS had a nib Colt Ace (22lr on 1911 frame), "floating chamber". Very cool gun. Something like $300
The good news, I bought it, shot the snot out of it.
Bad news, sold it a few years later. Really miss that gun.

jonp
12-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Identical Models 17 and 19 S&W's
pre 64 Model 70 300H&H
Sprinfield V10 45 ACP
Blackhawk Hunter 44Mag
SP101 357 snub
35 Rem Marlin
Colt Gold Cup bought in College for about $300

Minerat
12-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Had a chance as a Win Model 12 breakdown duck gun with a modified and full barrel with matching SN's in a canvas case. I did not have the money at the time and could not take advantage of the guy since it was his fathers gun so I told him what it was worth so he got a fair price. I did get the paper shells thought.

higgins
12-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Back in the mid-1960s my Scoutmaster offered to sell to me for $45 a DCM 1911A1 made by Colt that was in like-new condition; had to have either been unissued or a refurb fresh from storage. My parents wouldn't let me get it because I had recently bought a .38 spl. revolver - who needs more than one handgun anyway?

In the late 1960s I was in the local Big K store browsing sporting goods. The manager was in a dither because their FFL was going to expire in a couple of days and he didn't want any guns left in the store. He offered me a Remington clip fed .22 (580?) for what was a ridiculous price even then. I declined.

RKJ
12-26-2017, 06:52 PM
I've got a few. A Dan Wesson Model 15 (IIRC) that was a beauty but I couldn't afford to shoot it,so sold it for a loss (I'm sure) Marlin 336 that I traded to my boss (whom I thought was a friend, found out later not so much) for sporterized 98 Mauser that I spent a small fortune on getting it setup for a scope and a Western field 12 gauge SxS. I sold them both for a song because I wanted a 30/06. A S&W 629 for a PC (man, what was I thinking?) I've made it a point to not sell/trade any off since then. (except a Little LCP 380 that I didn't much are for).

brass410
12-26-2017, 07:07 PM
marlin lever 35 Remington, traded buddy for a failed engagement ring still have the bride though. Sideline thought just came up, when I was about seventeen a young guy that I knew, came to the gas station where I worked and wanted a tank of gas, he wanted to trade a brand new in box cooey 410 single (he had just got for Christmas from his granddad) not knowing any better I said sure, I wonder if he would like it for his grand kids now? I only fired it 3 times, I felt bad afterwards for him for his lack of appreciation (I knew his grandfather very well he was very kind to me when I was growing up) and couldn't make myself use it. I think I'll try and contact him I haven't lived there for 30yrs but I still read the local newspaper so I know he has grand children now.

Mohawk Daddy
12-27-2017, 12:00 AM
marlin lever 35 Remington, traded buddy for a failed engagement ring still have the bride though. Sideline thought just came up, when I was about seventeen a young guy that I knew, came to the gas station where I worked and wanted a tank of gas, he wanted to trade a brand new in box cooey 410 single (he had just got for Christmas from his granddad) not knowing any better I said sure, I wonder if he would like it for his grand kids now? I only fired it 3 times, I felt bad afterwards for him for his lack of appreciation (I knew his grandfather very well he was very kind to me when I was growing up) and couldn't make myself use it. I think I'll try and contact him I haven't lived there for 30yrs but I still read the local newspaper so I know he has grand children now.

If you traded a Marlin for a ring that netted you a bride that has lasted for decades, then you made the deal of a lifetime.
I went into a Walmart in east Okla around 1980 right after deer season. They had several examples of Marlin 336 on sale including one in 35 Remington for around $110. (not a misprint). I didn't buy it. As the wife of a lifelong friend of mine says, "Don't fret about it."

RKJ
12-27-2017, 08:02 AM
I went into a Walmart in east Okla around 1980 right after deer season. They had several examples of Marlin 336 on sale including one in 35 Remington for around $110. (not a misprint). I didn't buy it.
That little 336 I had, I paid $78.00 for it. But that was in 1977 when I had little money and even less brains. I'd like to have another one (nostalgia) but can't bring myself to spend the money they want for them now.

Thin Man
12-27-2017, 10:54 AM
In the 1980's I was getting more interested in the 44 Special than any other caliber. Went to a gun show and met a boy who was offering to sell a S&W triple-lock 44 Spl. that looked new, original, little used. I offered to buy it, but the seller's tone changed when he heard me say I wanted to shoot it (after the purchase). He thought of it as a safe queen and disliked the idea of it being fired and would not agree to any sale of the firearm. The price was very agreeable (on my side of the transaction) but he left the show still owning that one.

rockrat
12-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Was in Wichita Falls, TX early 70's visiting my Sister. T.G & Y had Rem 600's on closeout for $99. They had two 350 mag. rifles I wanted. would'nt sell them to me as I was out of state (OK). Asked my Sister to go get them, she hated guns and wouldn't do it. Didn't think about having the store ship them to the T.G. & Y. in my town. Still P.O.d at Sis!!!!

AllanD
12-30-2017, 05:04 PM
There are two rifles I sorta miss, well one of them not really my Marlin 782 22Mag Magazine Rifle, I traded it for a Nearly perfect Browning model 1906 Pistol.
I later traded that M1906 Browning (25ACP) back to one of the guys at my favorite Gun Store for a Browning BL22 which I still have

The other rifle I miss is my Husqvarna M38 Swede Mauser, I'm not quite sure how I let that one slip from my grasp

starmac
12-30-2017, 05:45 PM

I can remember a few that got away, but tend to remember those I caught better, the same goes with fish and guns too. lol

ascast
12-30-2017, 06:01 PM

you had to go there lol

AllanD
01-02-2018, 04:36 PM
If my mother had done something like that I would have pushed her into the grave

"Peace in the family" my pink posterior! that is nothing short of an unforgiveable betrayal

My mother decided that my nephew should be the family member to inherit all of my father's guns... Model 11 Remington 12g a, 2 Rem 1100's in 20ga, and a model 34 Remington 22lr. What the old dear failed to realize was that the model 11 was mine and had been left at their house for my father to use on Pheasants. He also seems to have come away with my collection (small tho' it be) of pre1900 silver dollars. Haven't said a word about any of it... peace in the family.