PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

JohnnyRingo
08-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Good morning, (or whatever the case may be!)

First time I've posted around here, so I figured I'd stop in before doing some professional-grade lurking and introduce myself to all the fine shooters and gun nuts before jumping into the deep end with my questions.

I'm a student pilot for the Navy, living down in Florida and living the life. I've been a shooter and hunter all my life and recently have developed a strong interest in casting and reloading. Calling me a "rookie" would be an insult to rookies everywhere, so we'll leave it at that.

I'm hoping, bank account willing, that I'll be able to get myself a set up for bullet production in not too long. I'll probably be casting a little bit of everything once I develop a little proficiency - pistol, rifle, and black powder. If I bug too much, feel free to throw things. Otherwise, its nice to meet everybody!

-R.

timkelley
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Welcome Mr. Ringo, pleased to have you join us.:-D

IcerUSA
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Welcome aboard .
Just tell them if they are going to throw stuff at you to make sure it has lead in it . :) Always a need for free lead . ;)

Keith

No_1
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the board JR. I am in Fla also but on the east coast across from you. I do get an occasional trip over there. If you are ever in Jacksonville or anywhere close, send me a PM and we can share a meal, some coffee and casting talk / BS.

Robert

scrapcan
08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome and is that little piece in your avatar one of your shooters? If so tell us some more about it.

JohnnyRingo
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Welcome and is that little piece in your avatar one of your shooters? If so tell us some more about it.

Jt - My avatar shooter is a custom built .450 in 3 1/2" chambering. I don't even close to own something that nice. Its more of an aspiration. I have a few "dream hunts" pictured in my future and a weapon like that is what I want to carry on them. So its kind of a reminder that if I stick with it and keep learning, maybe one day I'll get one and feel like I know enough to deserve to shoot it.

-R.

jawjaboy
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Welcome JR. Glad to have you with us.

Pensacola huh? I spent the last 2 years of my tour with our Navy in Pensacola, aboard the Lexington in 1970 thru 1972. We loved Pensacola, almost settled down there. I thank you for your service to country.

Stay safe. :drinks:

xyrth
08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
welcome! i'm pretty new to the whole deal as well, but inherited a ton of equipment from my father in law, i just don't know how to use it ;)

Echo
08-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome, JR. Although I have been reloading and casting for MANY years, I am still learning - and am overjoyed to have found this board.

Bob Krack
08-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm hoping, bank account willing, that I'll be able to get myself a set up for bullet production in not too long. I'll probably be casting a little bit of everything once I develop a little proficiency - pistol, rifle, and black powder. If I bug too much, feel free to throw things. Otherwise, its nice to meet everybody!
G'day to you Johnny,
Ya gotta start somewhere (if'n ya start at all), so why not tell us the place ya'd most prefer to start?

Small caliber, large caliber, peestol, rifle, or sling shot:mrgreen:.

I can assure you that you will get more advice than you know what to do with, and the heck of it is, most of it will be good advice!

Welcome aboard,

Vic

HABCAN
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome Aboard, JR! You'll fit right in here, considering your statements. As in flight training, the most important asset for reloading/casting is a teachable attitude. Ask away, and we'll all try to help as we learn together.

I also thank you for your service.

Alchemist
08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome Johnny...

Be warned, if you start casting-you'll discover that it is addicting! Lead scrounging will become a constant thought in the back of your mind. I doubt there is a cure, either.

You've come to the right place...most guys (and gals-there are some) are eager to help or at least add their comments.

Thanks for serving our country. You'll discover that there are a lot of service members and vets that are active here.

Cheers :drinks:
Alchemist
MSgt USAF (Ret)

gon2shoot
08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Welcome JR,
I've been casting for about 37 years and still screw up on a regular basis.
Best thing about this site is if you lose yer way there's always a 1/2 dozen fellas willin to tell ya where to go.

kodiak1
08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the board.
Ken.

WildmanJack
08-20-2008, 08:42 PM
JR Welcome to the board, greatest bunch of guys you will ever meet and more information than you will ever be able to absorb. Enjoy FAY she's headed your way, I just went thru her down here in Punta Gorda. Next time your up flyin, buzz the house...lol.God Bless u man, Fly High and Fast..
:drinks:

Jack

MtGun44
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Welcome aboard. I'm the black sheep in a family of 'nasal radiators',
past, present and future.

Bill

JohnnyRingo
08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Wow,

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Obviously I've chosen the right place to find company and resource. As for where I'd like to start -

I want to cast for my .308 and my .270 to get some experience under my belt. After that I'll probably move into my 9mm (as I think there are more grainages for it than the previous two?), and eventually I'll cast for whatever big bore rifle I settle on (right now I'm split between the .416 rem and the .458 lott). Hopefully I will build up sufficient enough stock of personal cast bullets to begin a reloading habit as well. I'm looking forward to learning!

As it is, I'm getting my finances in order to jump into this endeavor. Probably going with the RCBS Rockchucker kit, and a Lee shop furnace to do my melting/casting. Does anyone have experience with these?

-R.

Echo
08-21-2008, 01:24 AM
You can't go wrong with a RockChucker - I've used mine for about 45 years. And Lee makes some very usable, and inexpensive equipment. The Lee furnace will work nicely for you.

Prodigal Son
08-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Welcome to you Mr. Ringo, I too am a new member to this sight, not casting though. I like to be envolved with people who share the same interests. I can always use new technics, because if you stop learning you must be dead! Rockchuker is my brand, I bought one used almost 20 years ago, and it was 20 years old then, still works like a champ!

Southern Son
08-21-2008, 02:54 AM
G'day Johnny, your first post mentions the Holy Black, any particular type of Black Powder shooting, Muzzle stuffer, BPCR?

copdills
08-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Welcome to the Forum Johnny Ringo, jump right on in

copdills:castmine:

JohnnyRingo
08-21-2008, 08:12 AM
G'day Johnny, your first post mentions the Holy Black, any particular type of Black Powder shooting, Muzzle stuffer, BPCR?

SS, my interest in black powder is old fashioned smokepoles. My old man and grandfather had a matched pair of TC .45's. Now I've inherited one and I'll be putting it to some use. I also want to get one of the Kentucky Long Rifle kits and put one together with a few personal touches.

-R.

PatMarlin
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the board Johnny. Ya don't want my blood do ya? ...:mrgreen:

You've found casters paradise.

If you see someone named "Bassackward" coming your way, run... :coffee:

1Shirt
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Johnny, While you are looking down the road at the above 40 cals, don't froget the great 35's and particularly the 37's. The 375 H&H is one of the great ones, and suggest you try it for awhile as you consider progressing up the line to the bigger shoulder bruisers!
Good Luck!
1Shirt!:coffee: