PDA

View Full Version : OK - Who Shoots 22 Hornet? - Xmas Giveaway

Baja_Traveler
12-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Christmas Update - So the scientist in me totally randomized this. First I picked one of my brothers friends to give me a number between 1 and 8 (the number of people at the table besides me) - she gave me the number 7. I then counted the seventh person from my left - and I asked her to give me a number between 2 and 101, she gave me the number 88.
Now here is the problem - if you go to the 88th post, it's me bumping this thread off of page 5 so more people get a chance.
So what I'm going to do to be fair is give one box to post 87 and the other box to post 89.

I really want to thank everyone who posted here and wish you all a very merry christmas. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading everyones post - so much that I will be making this an annual tradition.

Started cleaning up the loading bench and came across two boxes of New in the box, never fired Winchester 22 Hornet brass. This is classic stuff, as evidenced by the price stickers on the boxes - heck, Accuracy Gun Shop here in San Diego closed up business over 20 years ago..

Not interested in selling it, so here is how it's going to work - If you want it, put a post here telling me what you are going to shoot it out of, and what you intend to shoot at (Just to keep things interesting for me, because the story has no bearing on the outcome). On Christmas eve when my family gets together for dinner (we celebrate the German way on Christmas Eve) - I'll point to some random person at the table and tell them to give me a number from 2 to whatever post is last here. On Christmas morning I'll post the winner and give them a PM for their address - I pay for shipping as a Christmas present.

Since I will not be bringing a laptop to the dinner table, I will have to put a cutoff for posts as 4pm Pacific Time on December 24th. That will be the last time I look at this thread.

Who's In?

380AUTO
12-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Hey Baja very nice of you. I have a Springfield M6 22 hornet over 410, it's kind of a safe queen so all it will be shot at is cans and steel targets maybe at small game in which near future! Noticed the mountain tab! Stay safe brother.

marlin39a
12-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Count me in! I would load these with the Noe 225-37-FN GC. They'd be used in a Ruger 77/22 VBZ Hornet. I shoot jackrabbits and western cottontails.

Lance Boyle
12-11-2017, 12:00 PM
I have a CZ 527 American I picked up used in a local shop. I have been working up loads for it with Lil gun but I am getting pressure signs so I backed off the load. I keep it handy for foxes and any other varmints that has been killing my chickens. So far I have two foxes. One had my neighbor's Rhode Island Red hen on my lawn. I thought it was one of my own Hens and sent that fox to the mousing field of the great beyond.

The hornet has a bit more sting than the .22!

Merry Christmas Baja!

If someone needs them more and you draw my number by all means use your cheerful good judgement. I have some Remington and Prvi cases for now.

Pumpkin
12-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Very kind of you, Baja. I shoot a Handi-rifle that is reamed to a K-Hornet, has a one in nine twist barrel on it---
shoots the 225462 very accurately. The little rifle has replaced any .22 shooting for me, and as a bonus it is
cheaper to reload then buy good .22 ammo. Use my little rifle for small game hunting, i.e., rabbits and squirrels.
Thanks for the offer, and Merry Christmas.

Pavogrande
12-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Hi Baja --- good-o on you -- I would like to participate in this fun project --
I will load them for the ruger #3 carbine and introduce the youngest grandson to the joy of can and soda bottle hunting -- Full bottles are to be treated
as dangerous game -- The great grandson is way too new to start -

san diego is much nicer weather than here in ga -- spent WWII in SD -- Navy housing across Barnet from MCRD, then point loma area and finally university area.
Really liked it there then -- now too many people as are most calif cities --

maxreloader
12-11-2017, 12:09 PM
I have three hornets, a newer CZ 527 American, an old (30's) Savage 23D, and an older Savage 340.

I shoot at paper and the occasional tin can.

If I win/get picked I would like to donate the brass to Pavogrande (Post number 6) because I have all the hornet brass I would ever need.

Springfield
12-11-2017, 12:12 PM
I also have a Handi-rifle that the kids and I play sniper with, shooting cans at 200 yards. That is the furthest we can shoot around here at a range. And it is cheap to shoot with my cast boolits.

Wayne R. Scott
12-11-2017, 12:22 PM
I'll play. I would shoot them in a Savage 24 that used to be .22 Hornet over 20 gauge. I reamed the Hornet out to .22 K Hornet. I shoot at grey squirrels, cottontail rabbits, raccoons, ground hogs, fox, coyote, and some day a bob cat (I hope).

wyoduster
12-11-2017, 12:31 PM
I just acquired a K-Hornet barrel for my Contender and that is the animal that will eat the new loads. Probably shoot varmints and lots of targets. I do like the long range stuff.

El Bango
12-11-2017, 12:45 PM
What a great idea! I built a 22 Hornet barrel for my T/C Contender from a barrel blank with a 14 twist a good friend gave me. I was only getting a couple of loadings out of each case due to splitting. I rechambered to 22 K Hornet and now get 7-8 loadings. I use it for small game, varmints,targets (just won a turkey at a local gun club), and turkey. My favorite light rifle. Have a Merry Christmas all.

M-Tecs
12-11-2017, 12:50 PM
CZ 527 and two contenders that are used for prairie dogs, beaver and targets. Head shots on spring beaver anchor them better than anything I have found.

lightman
12-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Very Kind of you! I'm in! I shoot the Hornet in a 10 inch heavy barrel Contender. I usually carry it to my deer stand and use it for Bob Cats of other small critters. Merry Christmas!

JimB..
12-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Such a nice offer.

My father and I each shoot contenders in 22 hornet, mostly paper, some steel. Planning a prairie dog trip for next year, our first trip together in decades, and am thinking we’ll use these out to 150.

Have a Merry Christmas!
Jim

groundpounder
12-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Very nice of you. I will be loading and shooting the brass out of a savage 23d with lil gun and Barnes grenades. I will shoot and have shot ground squirrels, coyotes and bobcats with this load and gun. Merry Christmas to you and many more to come.

ELFEGO BACA
12-11-2017, 01:27 PM
I have a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet �� I bought in 1980!
At that time I backordered reloading dies so I could 'feed' it.
I used to educate ground squirrels.
Now my twin grandsons and I use it to shoot golf balls!

RGrosz
12-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Merry Christmas Baja. I've got a Savage 340 that a good friend of mine built from parts and then had re-chambered to a K-Hornet. Bought it a number of years ago from him. So far it's shot several garden raiding bunnies and strippies and accounted for a pile of sod poodles. It's a lot of fun and not too hard on the billfold. Don't expect new brass to be used to much different.
Rob

wch
12-11-2017, 01:33 PM
I, too, have a K-Hornet that was made in the 50's by an oldtime smith. He used an 1885 Winchester barreled action, relined the barrel and rechambered it for the K.
I am a PA woodchuck hunter and use the rifle for shorter range hunting and for teaching the kids and ladies that noise doesn't equal recoil!

earlmck
12-11-2017, 01:57 PM
It's great how your nice offer brought all these hornet shooters out of the woodwork. I have a hornet on the Sharps-Borchardt action which likes the Lyman 225462 and a K-hornet on Low Wall Winchester which doesn't like my cast very well but is OK with Speer 45 grainers. I shoot sage rats (Belding ground squirrels) with mine. The Borchardt hornet has been designated a "grandkid favorite" rifle and would cause a food fight when I bite the dust so I designated a worthy grandkid in my will.

Like maxreloader I have all the hornet brass I'll ever need so would donate my winnings to wch. His K must be similar to my K.

Rick Hodges
12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
My 22 Hornet is a TC Contender Carbine.....it is shot mostly at targets, at least one coyote and is looking for a particularly fat and meddlesome groundhog that is pestering my brother's yard. He is a sneaky critter who has a sixth sense about people with weapons that leads him to make a mad dash to one of his holes.

I'm sure my brother would have got him by now except for the fact that he starts grumbling the moment he sees the critter. I would love to put a sneak on him...(the groundhog not my brother).

obssd1958
12-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Very nice offer, and I'll put my hat in the ring!
I have a Handi-rifle chambered in 22 hornet. So far, the only thing it has fired projectiles at, is paper. I'm hoping that I can take it out this spring, and let the grandkids try for a whistlepig or two.

Merry Christmas!

Don

Bodiebadman
12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Very thoughtful of you to make this offer! My 22 Hornet launchers include a TC Contender 10" bull barrel, a Ruger No. 3 rifle and a Winchester Model 54 with a Unertl 4X scope. Primary uses are for recreational shooting and ground squirrels. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

cobbmtmac
12-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Baja Traveler,

Very generous of you, I'll also throw my hat in the ring. I just acquired a real nice single shot w/26" barrel, Sav 219c, 22-H, haven't fired it yet, mounted a Lupi 2X7 on it yesterday, as it has groves like most 22's. There are several models, I don't believe the 219b had groves? They also made it in, 25-20, 32-20, 30-30 and I think a couple of shotgun barrels. I think all are interchangeable? Started Mfg in 1937 or 8, till, into the60's? Anyway, I have acquired some accessories, but still looking for more and can't wait to sight it in and put it to good use!

Thanks for the chance, good luck to all, if I should not be the lucky one. I wish for "obssd1958" to WIN!

Merry Christmas, Mac

Caliboose
12-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the opportunity to talk about the Hornet. I bought a handi-rifle from a member here and after putting a few rounds on paper, I took my grandson on his first deer hunt. The 22 hornet is legal in Oklahoma with 50 grain bullets. He shot a nice 10 pointer that dropped in its tracks. What a memory for both of us! Please put me in the lottery. Caliboose

rogerreloader
12-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Thankyou for the chance to receive a Christmas gift from your family. I have a savage 24v in 22 h and 20ga. I mould my on boolits and enjoy shooting it very much. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

msp2640
12-11-2017, 02:56 PM
I have a, believe 60's era, Walther KKJ in 22 Hornet, that has a really neat, overly engineered, one piece detachable scope mount........so, I shoot it with the factory sights at 50 yards at paper, don't really hunt much anymore. Thanks for your offering - Merry Christmas! Bill in MA

historicfirearms
12-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Such a gracious offer. My 22 hornet is my TC contender with the old style octagon barrel. The only things we shoot with it are paper targets. My kids love the low recoil and the cougar on the side of the gun.

HawkEyeEarl
12-11-2017, 04:11 PM
I will shoot it in my ruger no 3 in 22 K-Hornet.
Probably just target shooting.
New brass fire forms better than used brass.
Thank you
:)

375RUGER
12-11-2017, 04:17 PM
I have a custom barreled Ruger No.1 by Goodsteel (Malcolm Ballistic Tool), it is a death ray for jackrabbits.

DGV
12-11-2017, 04:29 PM
my son and myself will load this and shoot crows off of tobacco poles. lots of fun! Using a Ruger 22 KHornet. rechambered by Randy at Connecticut precision chambering. Exploding crows!

al1gator
12-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Baja, thanks for this kind gesture! I have an H&R break open single shot in .22 Hornet. Bought it in '73 when my wife told me she was pregnant with our son (don't ask me how she knew the baby would be a boy!). This was the first center fire rifle he ever shot. We took a number of Whitetail deer in the pasture behind our house with the Hornet (small, Central Texas deer) after he learned to shoot it when he was 5 years old. Son's daughter turned 5 in Sept. I would use this brass to load ammo for my Granddaughter to use on ground squirrels in interior Alaska when we go on our annual camping trip next Summer!

sagamore-one
12-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Suppressed Handi Rifle and suppressed Savage 320. Mostly eliminate garden pests and feral cats.

gmsharps
12-11-2017, 04:52 PM
I have an Anchutz 1700 I shoot hoping to make it to Colorado this next summer for prairie dogs. Have a great Christmas
Gmsharps

Pressman
12-11-2017, 05:36 PM
I'll jump in also. No 22 Hornet in the cabinet so I will put them into permanent retirement as part of the ARTCA archive collection.

Ken

Shawlerbrook
12-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Sounds like a great Christmas present. I have a Contender G1 with a 10” barrel and a G2 with a 16” barrel. Deadly on woodchucks. Merry Christmas to all !

JRLesan
12-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Don't need or want brass but am curious to know the price on price tag...

badgeredd
12-11-2017, 07:53 PM
My 22 Hornet is a TC Contender Carbine.....it is shot mostly at targets, at least one coyote and is looking for a particularly fat and meddlesome groundhog that is pestering my brother's yard. He is a sneaky critter who has a sixth sense about people with weapons that leads him to make a mad dash to one of his holes.

I'm sure my brother would have got him by now except for the fact that he starts grumbling the moment he sees the critter. I would love to put a sneak on him...(the groundhog not my brother).

Boy!!! That's good to hear!

rwadley
12-11-2017, 08:06 PM
I have a 22 hornet Handi-Rifle.

TCFAN
12-11-2017, 08:09 PM
I will jump in. My 22 hornet is a 10 inch bull barrel T/C Contender with a 2X pistol scope. I use it for target shooting both paper and steel with both cast and jacket.Thanks .......Terry

Wayne R. Scott
12-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Don't need or want brass but am curious to know the price on price tag...

Price tag looks like $5.24 for each box.

15meter
12-11-2017, 08:16 PM
I'd use them in my Ruger #1, Varmint league at Gun Club #1(belong to two, drift through a dozen more:razz:.

50 yards offhand to keep the guys who want to show up with the 25 pound bench hogs--they miss the "varmint" in the title--100, 200, 300 of the bench.

If I ever get back out west for prairie dogs that would be the first gun to get loaded in the truck.

Alstep
12-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Appreciate the offer, Baja. Would use the Hornet as a step up from .22 for my granddaughter in a TC Contender.
A very Merry Christmas to you.

m.chalmers
12-11-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm in. I have an old Ozzie No1 Mk III that had a new hornet tube put on it in the 60's. I'll shoot at the chicken thieves with her. The red ones are fast but the hornet catches them :bigsmyl2:

whtsmoke
12-11-2017, 08:47 PM
I too don't have one yet and the funny thing is I was at our local Dicks which is not my favorite store but I was killing time waiting to pick the wife up from dialysis this morning and they had 8 boxes of 22 Hornet ammo and i just stood there looking and dreaming about getting one, so I would like to be in if that is possible. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

trooperdan
12-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Well, I like this! A karma but we have to kinda work for it! Deal! :). My fav .22 Hornet is a Savage model 40. I'm mostly a target shooter and an occasional crow strafer. I also have an old Stevens 322 that has been re-chambered long ago to .22 K-Hornet that would likely see it's share of this brass should I be so lucky!

rbuck351
12-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Very kind offer. I have a Savage 219 in Hornet, an H&R single shot that I rechambered to KH and a 22KH liner I made for a TC 44mag barrel. This brass would be used only for the Savage 219 for target shooting/training with the grandkids and for the occasional varmit or turkey that wanders in the yard. I use a light load of w231 and an NOE 37gr cast. With this load brass lasts very well. It's nice to see the old Hornet and its cousin the KH are still well thought of.

gemihur
12-11-2017, 09:38 PM
My contender shoots a 22 Hornet barrel that's a 7 1/2" bull made by Ingram. I bought it from a guy on another forum that said he could hit a coyote with it at 100 yds!
This barrel is wearing open sights, mind you, and I've done all I could with sand bags at the range to hold a 2" group at 25 yds. That coyote shooting was a hit and miss proposition at best, I believe.
Anyhoo, if I'm lucky enough to get picked and be awarded some vintage brass I'll load 'em up with some vintage Nosler bullets I just received from a fellow shooter.

nhmikel
12-11-2017, 09:42 PM
My son and I like TC's, Contenders and have a 14" and a 21" with which to shoot them from. We would get them sighted in and might try our hand at the local coyote pack.
Many thanks in advance

Hooker53
12-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Hello Baha. This is very nice of you to do something like this. I cast and load my own Hornets. They will be shot out of a bought used CZ-527 American Classic. I shoot mostly at paper with this one but small rodents and the like has gotten in the way before. Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Roy
Hooker53

BRIARPATCH
12-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Mine is a Savage Model 25 LVT w/thumbhole laminated stock. Wickedly accurate loaded with them little V-max hornadys. The groundhogs around here just sometimes keel over with a heart attack if they see me looking through the scope in their direction. Usually when she cracks you see just a little tail quiver. DRT.
Merry Christmas and thanks for this kind and fun gesture.

wolters4
12-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Very kind of you in the Christmas spirit. I just got a 22 hornet barrel for my encore. And now that I got my son (3rd grade teacher) stuff moved out of the basement it's time to reload....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

contender1
12-11-2017, 11:38 PM
Excellent Christmas karma.

Please add me. Why?
Well, I have a T/C Encore rifle bbl,, in 22 Hornet,, that is a SWEET groundhog slayer. If I pull up to a kudzu patch,, pull out the Hornet,, well, the groundhogs go into a sweat & start drawing straws to see who's gonna be the sacrificial ones for me that day.

Then the crows.
They were ok,, until they were caught plucking Miss Penny's Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. She declared war on them. Well, actually she's the General,, and she directed her troops, (me) to declare all out war on them. She wanted them dead,,, and to that end,, when they'd fly up into the trees,, they never understood why their friends seemed to explode from within. It may have been a 40 grn thin jacketed varmint bullet that made like an internal grenade.

And on occasion,, the cat killing,, turkey eating,,, Wil E. Coyote who makes the mistake of showing his Acme head when that Hornet is out & about. The sting of that bee has made Acme start a new recruiting campaign. They need more un-educated song dogs to try out their products.

All in all,,, I'd enjoy being the lucky winner of this brass.

Brassduck
12-12-2017, 12:15 AM
have 16.250 contender. hunt varmints, ground hogs and various varmints could use some new brass

gnoahhh
12-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the opportunity to play! I would use them in one of three pre-war guns: An M2 Springfield converted to .22 Hornet, a Winchester M54 Hornet, or (my favorite) a German kiplauf 5.6x35R (uses Hornet brass) with 1-9" twist that loves 55 grain cast bullets.

cavhasbeen
12-12-2017, 12:40 AM
Very nice gesture OP! I shoot a CZ527 in K Hornet. This rifle has thinned out a variety of predators around the farmstead and is generally the go to except in the case of the large and long toothed ones. If chosen I would like to donate to poster #6, Pavogrande, as I am pretty well fixed for brass.

Wallen
12-12-2017, 12:54 AM
I’ll be loading them for a first gen T/C Contender that was given to me as a gift. I never knew how fun that little cartridge could be or how effective it would be out of a pistol. It’s also a great gun/cartridge for the kids to pop squirrels with, they usually get to it before me, lol. Easily one of my favorite guns to shoot and load for! This is an awesome thing that you’re doing for the member of the forum. Thank you and merry Christmas!

M_59
12-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Baja, Please count me in for the brass. I applaud you for your Christmas spirit. I have 2 Hornets. A Contender carbine sporting a Custom Shop barrel and a Ruger 77/22. These both are gonna be the grandkids prairie dog rifles if and when I ever get to retire. I have a stock pile of bullets saved up, but could always use more brass. Thanks.

Three44s
12-12-2017, 01:35 AM
I want to thank the OP for the generous opportunity of a participating member of the forum to receive this high quality brass.

In my case I own a Savage model 40 rifle in 22 Hornet and some barrels in Hornet that fit the Contender.

If I were to receive this brass it would likely be used to stop coyotes that are out to take our pet kitties from us at our house.

Best regards and Merry Christmas

Three44s

Bodean98
12-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Great idea and thank you.
I will play as well.
My hornet is an old Savage 340 that I purchased well used in about 1980. It has accounted for many a prarie dog and a number of rabbits, squirrels, and quite a few sparrows as well. Even taken an occasional coyote.
I have never actually shot cast in this rifle but have been having the urge to go for it as of late.

dagger dog
12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I had a problem with feral cats, until I bought my Savage Model 40 Varmint Hunter, once the cats were under control I have cottontails again and a few coveys of quail. I shoot Lil'Gun 12.5 grs and 40gr Vmax in this little single shot rifle and it's a shooter, I also shoot the Lyman 225-415 cast from wheel weights, gas checked and 3 grs of Unique for 22 mag performance on setting rabbits or squirrels.

BrassMagnet
12-12-2017, 09:52 AM
I would shoot them out of a Contender, Browning Micro Medallion, or a Ruger #3 at paper targets with cast boolits.
I do need to cast some more with my NOE 225-48-SP mould. A member needed some to try out his new Handi Rifle, so I sent him what I had cast and some PPU brass since he had no brass!
Prairie dogs and other small game will be later!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2017, 01:08 PM
A Ruger #3 sits in my Safe, ready for duty, whether it is varmint patrol or just target practice. She is topped with a vintage Weaver 10x Target scope. The Lee Bator is the boolit of preference for her, it's short fat design is just the thing for the slow twist that Ruger put in her barrel. But she may get an upgrade, the NOE 37gr was recently procured for loading to 22LR power level, for quieter shots.

A few years ago, at a friend's vegetable farm, my friend asked me to dispatch a troublesome woodchuck, apparently he [the woodchuck] was a vegetarian (yep, I said WAS), and he could destroy a field full of young fresh plantings in nothing flat. He was living in a woodpile, I just needed to wait til he got hungry and felt like leaving the wood pile for lunch.

Winchester is my preferred brand of 22 hornet brass, making this chance even more desired.
Thanks again,
Jon

2152hq
12-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Just bought a Savage 219 project rifle in 22Hornet.
Needs work, doesn't cock most times, early model striker fired. Nice little rifle.
Never had a Hornet before with all the rifles I've owned.

ReloaderEd
12-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Good idea Baja I hope you find someone with a grandson who will receive a hornet for his birthday or Christmas. Sort of like the Red Ryder BB gun back in the 50's. Take Care, REd

dagunnut
12-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Baja Traveler what a wonderful Christmas offering! I would love to be included in this drawing.

I own two 22 Hornets a Handi-rifle I picked up a few years ago that has a strong preference for Midway 34 grain dogtown bullets over Lil gun. The second is a new to me CZ527 that hasn't even made it's first range trip yet. I use them for target practice, and various troublesome wildlife from coyote down to squirrels. I shoot mostly jacketed but really need to get cracking on some cast loads. I have a pretty good selection of molds for 22caliber, including several proven performers in 22 Hornet.

Thanks again!
dagunnut
Mario

strangwn
12-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm in and plan to shoot them in some appropriate rifle that I wish someone would get me for Christmas. Hope to punch holes in paper and tin cans.

4719dave
12-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Well im in this is very nice of you love this site great bunch of ladies and gents . Ive pu a tc contender with a 14 super barrel ..maily punching paper but will be handy yote hunting MERRY CHRISTMAS

fivegunner
12-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Sure a lot of posters, Here's Mine, I only own 1 .22 hornet it`s a Savage model 23 . It has a old scope on it . and it shoot`s very well . I only killed a Crow with it. I wish I missed ,As I am getting older I have a hard time killing just to kill.( I did not eat the crow ). anyway I enjoy shooting the .22 hornet at rocks and other targets. I have about 40 brass cases that are old so I lose some from case spits . [smilie=s:

pete501
12-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Very thoughtful and generous. I have a contender that I shoot squeaks with.

Cheshire Dave
12-12-2017, 03:17 PM
This is a great and fun offer. I have a Winchester model 43 and it loves 35 grain V max and a case full of Lilgun. I want to work out a good cast load for it. Hope to get it out after Sagerats in the spring.

Lance Boyle
12-12-2017, 03:32 PM
I too don't have one yet and the funny thing is I was at our local Dicks which is not my favorite store but I was killing time waiting to pick the wife up from dialysis this morning and they had 8 boxes of 22 Hornet ammo and i just stood there looking and dreaming about getting one, so I would like to be in if that is possible. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Ha. That's how it happens but it took a little more for me. A buddy of mine had a friend who was trying to feed his .22 rifle some remington .22 hornets. I got a box of 49 because the guy crumpled one. The 49 count box sat on my shelf for six years before the rifle was procured. Yea a free box of ammo can send you down the rabbit hole.

stubshaft
12-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Happy Holidays to you Sir. I would shoot them out of a custom MGM barrel for my Encore chambered in .22 K-Hornet.

2Tite
12-12-2017, 04:40 PM
My three grandsons and I would make one box into 25 Hornets and the other box into a centerfire 25 Stevens. The Hornet is a relined H&R 20 gauge shotgun and the 25 Stevens is an original Stevens model 44. The targets are none other than the gray squirrel and the occasional tin can. Irregardless of who wins we hope you have a good time with your family on Christmas Eve. Thats how we celebrate here as well.

hunter12
12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
I have the M6 scout .22 hornet over .410 and she is a straight shooter, I love it. I have some bullets in the mail someplace and experimenting with different loads. I plan on using it for small critters and ptarmigan here on AK. I like the caliber so much that I'll be checking the LGS's for any used ones that may come in.

speedyr
12-12-2017, 05:09 PM
great idea!!

I am surprised at the number of Ruger #3 rifles. I had assumed I had one of the few, as most folks I run into don't even know what a Ruger #3 is. My first Hornet was a contender barrel, still like that one, as well as the #3 (need to figure out how to mount a scope on it) and picked up a 77/22 hornet stainless. Haven't worked up a load for that one yet, but so far it's liking 40gr Vmax.

I just started to get into casting, so if there's a preferred Hornet bullet (NOE 39gr seems popular), feel free to PM me details (so as to not clutter this fine thread) and also picked up the stuff to powder coat the little buggers as well.

Just started shooting a Savage Rascal with my daughter (9), figured the hornet will be a good second step when she's big enough to shoulder it properly.

Thanks again for doing this, always good to have some extra hornet brass!

jmorris
12-12-2017, 10:08 PM
I would shoot it out of a contender rifle too, either paper or coyotes trying to eat my chickens would be shot.

Butchman205
12-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Awesome offer!
I’m in. I’ll use them to load for my son’s H&R that his Pawpaw gave him several years ago. He shoots targets!

-Butchman

mazo kid
12-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Great offer! I would load and shoot the brass in my professionally restored Stevens 44-1/2 and a T/C Contender.

keyhole
12-14-2017, 09:14 PM
I only killed a Crow with it. I wish I missed ,As I am getting older I have a hard time killing just to kill.[smilie=s:

I am there with you. As I get older I appreciate life more and understand we are all mortal. Recently I had to shoot a woodpecker that was hammering away in the rafters of my roof. I felt very bad about killing it but could not let it continue to damage my home's roof. People can think I am a sissy or a PETA person if they want, but I gave it a respectful burial.

keyhole

ohiochuck
12-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Hi!
I will shoot these out of my Winchester model 70 in .22 Hornet. Both paper targets and woodchucks.
Thanks!
Jim

douglasskid
12-14-2017, 10:29 PM
I could shoot these in my Remington 597, or my Savage, left hand, model 12,converted to 22 hornet.

gunwonk
12-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Yes, please, count me in. I have a not-exactly-Hornet, technically a 5.6x35 Vierling, in a single shot bolt action Gustloff rifle that I believe is from pre-WWII Germany. There are minor dimensional differences between 5.6x35 Vierling and .22 Hornet, but only a couple of thousandths here and there, so the rifle and I are both happy with .22 Hornet reloading dies and .22 Hornet brass.

My most interesting experience with this rifle (so far) has been shooting in a local Buffalo Rifle match, .22 Euro-Hornet versus the .45-70's. I shot mid range cast bullet loads, and at 100 yards -- to everyone's surprise -- the rifle and I were reasonably competitive. Sadly, I have to admit that at 300 yards the .45-70's seem to have an advantage. :)

FLHTC
12-15-2017, 07:06 AM
Very nice of you to do this as a xmas present. However, I have enough to last me two lifetimes so I will respectfully pass. Good luck to all those who can use it.

Greg S
12-15-2017, 07:23 AM
I'll throw my name in the running. I've got a well used Anschutz 1700.it's been sitting idile for awhile but looking foward to a 37 and 45 gr 2pb/2gc molds from NOE for it. If I get it up here, I would predominately use it for paper punching in the summer and for coyote/wolves in the winter. Tank you for your kind offer.

hemiallen
12-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Very cool of you. We too celebrate our German heritage on Christmas eve. Most of my first generation family came here, as farmers, from Prussia, most ended up in Ashley, then moved about 6 hours north of you to become grape farmers and cattle ranchers.

My grandson's left hand 22 hornet A bolt could use more brass for me to reload for his " this Christmas gift". He has shot it, but doesn't know it is his , yet.

Thank you for the opportunity for a great present for some lucky fellow
Allen

Thin Man
12-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Merry Christmas to all. My Hornet is a Winchester model 43 Deluxe.

My thanks to the OP for making this kind offer.

glw
12-15-2017, 02:28 PM
I would like these for my stepdad. He will use them to shoot coyotes using a TC Contender, Savage 24, or HR Handi rifle. Thanks for putting my name in the hat!
Glenn

Baja_Traveler
12-21-2017, 06:03 PM
Bumping this so everyone gets a chance...

TAC14
12-21-2017, 08:31 PM
How about one of only three known to exist and the only one in Hornet ?
A R.F. Sedgley 1903 Springfield SHORT ACTION 22 Hornet. This is not a converted 22 RF Springfield but a 1906 30-06 action shortened and much modified to flawlessly to work with the tiny Hornet. Sedgley generally used Winchester bbls, so this one drives tacks with Lil Gun and 40 gr tipped Hornady bullets. The scope is a Lyman Alaskan with a 10X Litscherts converter in G&H mount.

https://i.imgur.com/8njHSZA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zbpjFER.jpg

bronte454
12-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Absolutely no Baja humbug on your part hope your family has a wonderful Christmas . I have an extremely heavy 8 shot Taurus 10" Raging Hornet . Absolute blast to shoot (pun intended) extremely loud fun and accurate pistol if I can hold all that weight steady . My 14 yr old son and I shoot steel targets I've welded at different ranges out to 200 yards . I also occasionally take it with me for vermin/predator type critters when out on friends ranch driving tractor for him or while hunting . Very good of you and I wish everyone the best of luck and the best of the season and x-mas with your loved ones .

hd09
12-22-2017, 08:38 AM
I'll take a chance. Would be shooting from a pre 64 m70 at paper. Some cast some j words. Have a great Christmas, enjoy the family.

flint45
12-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Very nice offer .Mine is a CZ527 nice little rifle shoot mosly targets but want to do some varmint hunting as well Merry Christmas to you.

woody1
12-22-2017, 11:30 AM
I keep a H&R Topper in 22 Hornet in my shop for shooting such things as starlings, house sparrows, stray sage rats and the like out the window using Lymans 225438 sans gc using a small dipper of Dupont (now IMR) PB. However, I'm more likely to reload the new brass for a grandson to shoot in the Stevens 322 we used to have. May the Great Spirit smile on you for doing this.

davidheart
12-22-2017, 12:30 PM
OOOOO!!!! I have a 22 Hornet from my grandfather. Savage 342 circa 1952. It has six notches on the underside of it of the deer he's taken with the rifle to feed the family when they were barely getting by. My mother took her first deer with this rifle when she was 11 years old and now I've inherited the rifle since my grandfather passed away.

It was your typical Savage 342 with ugly Walnut brush brown, elephant leg sized stock and faded bluing. The gun weighed ~9 pounds. I took the stock off and used a wood planer to thin it and drilled out much of the wood to hollow it out. I shaped the wood to resemble a more elegant rifle and then sanded it down in stages from 80 grit down to 0000 steel wool. What I was greeted with was beautiful wood and a graceful shape.... still retaining the six marks my grandfather made on the underside to indicate his deer. I refinished it with tru-oil and 0000 steel wool in multiple coats.

Now the 3/4 Weaver tube that sat atop had broken and was fogged up. So when some more money comes in I'm sending it off to Iron Sight to be restored. An acquaintance had some brass laying around so I'm replacing the broken, plastic buttstock with brass I'll have laser engraved "In Memory Of"

I refinished the bluing by hand with 1000 grit sandpaper and 0000 steel wool and cold blue. The crown will have an 11 degree target crown done soon.

This rifle shot under a dime at 100 yards before the 4x 3/4" scope broke. It's my absolute favorite gun to shoot. Don't feel very comfortable hunting deer with it like it used to be done, but I've headshot squirrel with it at 75 yards and mostly use it for punching paper for giggles. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for coyote, however I keep it mostly for a personal rifle and memories than for hunting.

The rifle now comes in ~<7 pounds if memory serves me right.

I usually load a 45gr sierra hornet bullet in it. I'm not sure the exact powder charge because I've gotten so good at eyeballing the powder charge of lil'gun in a trimmed case, over a CCI small pistol primer I don't even measure anymore for it. I'll be working up a cast load for it soon enough. I've tried but my success has been varied. :)

Alan in Vermont
12-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Thank you very much for such a generous offering. I'll get in on this too. I'm fussing with a Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Having a terrible time getting it to shoot consistently so I'm doing a bunch of ladder loading. Somewhere I seem to have misplaced some of the brass I know I have. CRS has struck hard! If I can get it sorted out I'm hoping to use it on the local crow population.

b money
12-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Hey very nice of you! Count me in, I will be using them in a 12in contender barrel that I just bought on this site. Mostly at targets and squirrels

mdevlin53
12-23-2017, 07:41 PM
I picked up a Stevens 22 Hornet bolt action here from a member. If i could find some Snowshoe Hares during the season that's what i would shoot with it. The rabbits sit in the back yard all summer laughing and disappear in the fall but i keep looking. Thanks for the Christmas offer and I hope you have a great eve celebration.
Michael

67bear
12-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Merry Christmas to you and yours Baja. I have a CZ527. I shoot paper and steel mostly, but occasionally a critter. 35 grain V-max and lilgun work well. Hoping to work up a cast boolits load soon.

screamingjohnny
12-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Merry Christmas Baja, This is a very nice thread for Christmas. I have a nice Sako 22 hornet that I have used on varmints. I intend to use this rifle to introduce my children to center fire shooting, it is a fun rifle. My other hornet is a TC Contender, which was originally my uncle Johns. He was like a second father to me, as we both liked hunting and shooting. This was his first center fire pistol, and one that he learned to reload for, on my reloading equipment. I received this Contender from his girls after he and my brother were killed on Christmas day of 1988, while crossing a railroad track, on their way to go ice fishing. It was a big loss for all of my family. His girls were kind enough to gift me the Contender which I have used for varmints and handgun silhouette shooting. I will cherish this Contender always as it has fond memories attached to it. I still have some of his reloads that I keep to fire off a round once in a while in remembrance of him. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

keyhole
12-24-2017, 12:22 PM
I still have some of his reloads that I keep to fire off a round once in a while in remembrance of him. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

What a touching story, especially today on Christmas Eve. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

To all those here and everyone close to them, have a Merry Christmas.

dsh1106
12-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all!!!!

I'll give this a go. I'll reload these for my stepdad. He shoots his dads old Anschutz, not sure how old but he says he shot it as a young boy and he in his 70's now.

Good luck to all who participated in this, all a big thanks to Baja_Traveler for doing this!!!

Scott

Baja_Traveler
12-25-2017, 01:28 AM
See update in Post #1

TAC14
12-25-2017, 06:43 PM
First time I've won anything ! Christmas thanks to the OP !