PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else "lose time"?

GoodOlBoy
12-10-2017, 03:59 AM
Now hear me out. I can almost remember most of the time between now, and last time I logged in, however I would have sworn I logged in "day before yesterday" my wife says "You haven't been on the laptop in almost a week" (not good for a person trying to write and publish a book by the way). I log on and poof. Today is the 10th, last day I logged on before shows to be the 5th..... I cannot fathom how I have a five day spread on this. I seriously would have put money down on me having been on here day before yesterday looking and responding to posts.... what the heck...

anyway just curious, or am I the only nutjob on here who loses days?

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

Hickory
12-10-2017, 08:15 AM
It was hard for me to accept the fact, even at 50 years old, that my memory was slipping a bit. As it happens more and more you'll begin to accept it and come to terms with getting old.

It's not a bad thing, it's just the way life is. I hope you have many more years of happiness and joy!

OS OK
12-10-2017, 08:30 AM
You ain't the only nutjob...ceptin, I don't loose time yet.

Wayne Smith
12-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Can you recall anything you did in those five days? Don't look at just one thing to say you have 'lost time'. Preoccupation, other interests, and life all get in the way of any one thing. With your wife's suggestions of things she saw you do, or participated in, can you recall them? If not see a Neurologist, it is a more serious issue. If you can recall with prompts it is not so concerning.

ascast
12-10-2017, 09:02 AM
wow I am still doing up a list of "to do's" for summer 2017.

nagantguy
12-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Yes I loose time, 5 years old with a BB gun at grandpas farm; 13 first girl friend, 18 Paris Island, 24 daughter born, boss she's going on an honors student D.C. Trip for a Wreath laying at tomb of the unknown solider, and I'm still looking for bbs!

labradigger1
12-10-2017, 09:57 AM
I lost around 8 hrs of time the Friday before last. I blame it on makers mark though.

RED BEAR
12-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Yes I do lose time . they say it came from severe sleep apnea like mini strokes when I quit breathing. Used to get in car and forget where I was going or doing. Have gotten a lot better but still could not tell you what I did yesterday. So I just figure yesterday is gone so it is not important. I just play with my puppies (actually full grown but always puppies to me).

HATCH
12-10-2017, 10:31 AM
It happens to everyone.
I logged on and checked a section on the board.
I thought I had checked it yesterday but it looks like it was 3 days ago.

This is the same for work days. Monday rolls around and its like I am skipping days. Its Weds, then its Friday.
Don't know what happened to Tuesday or Thursday?

mold maker
12-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Yep. Just a couple weeks ago I was beaming through the window at my newborn granddaughter, and today I'm going to her 20th BD party. During that missing time, I accumulated three more grand children.
Yep time passes fast when you're having fun.
Don't let it get you down if you don't remember some details, you're still here.
Live it up like there is no tomorrow. Your making memories for those around you.

OS OK
12-10-2017, 11:48 AM
It happens to everyone.
I logged on and checked a section on the board.
I thought I had checked it yesterday but it looks like it was 3 days ago.

This is the same for work days. Monday rolls around and its like I am skipping days. Its Weds, then its Friday.
Don't know what happened to Tuesday or Thursday?

Ha! That's familiar...it's called a 'rut'...your going around in circles and haven't discovered it yet! Such is life...
I'll check back in two or three days to see.

10x
12-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Must be aliens.
I look in the mirror and wonder where the old guy came from.

You haven't "lost" any time. You have just filled your time with meaningful things

6bg6ga
12-10-2017, 12:23 PM
I just loose posts. The post counter doesn't work most of the time.

deerstalkerks
12-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Yes we all lose, now what was I reading in this post? O'well I remember it later. I see now what I was doing this morning, sizing some boolitts..

runfiverun
12-10-2017, 12:55 PM
I have time skips too but not for days.
it's more like I look at the clock and it's 9 then I do something for 10 minutes and it's 11:45.

I will also remember eating lunch but have no clue what I ate for dinner or if I even ate dinner.
Matrix glitch?

vzerone
12-10-2017, 01:02 PM
I think some of you may have been "Alien abducted!!" :kidding:

308Jeff
12-10-2017, 01:08 PM
It was hard for me to accept the fact, even at 50 years old, that my memory was slipping a bit. As it happens more and more you'll begin to accept it and come to terms with getting old.

It's not a bad thing, it's just the way life is. I hope you have many more years of happiness and joy!

I'm in the same boat at 48. I hate knowing my memory isn't as sharp as it once was. I can't simply finish something in the reloading room and leave it there, counting on my memory to remind me where I was in the process. I have to label everything now.

Backing out of a parking spot isn't as simple and fluid as it used to be. It's a lot harder to crane my neck and body around to make sure things are clear, so it takes more time and patience.

I'm A LOT more cranky and stubborn than I used to be.

Can't imagine how much slower I'm going to be in 20 years. Hopefully I make it that far though. :)

AKholicBubba
12-10-2017, 01:20 PM
As fast as time goes by for me it seems like I'm losing time. That's another reason I don't drink anymore to many days/nights that went by in a blur

OS OK
12-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Jeff, in 20 years you'll be as old as I am...your mind doesn't have to slip.
Many decades ago my Great Grandma 'Mother Minnie' told me to always keep my mind on technical matters, she saw I had a propensity for that sort of thing...your mind Chucky will always be sharp. Her's was despite the fact that she was born in 1889...we had been talking of an old fisherman near our fish camp on the San Bernard...he wasn't all there anymore tho he was.
I still believe those words she told me, only the minutiae has seemed to slip over the years...I believe that you may remain almost as sharp as you wish as you grey, keep that mind working just as you would your muscles...use'em or loose'em.

white eagle
12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
not so much time but I often forget which day of the week it is

RogerDat
12-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Short lapses that are totally blank can be a sign of mini strokes or carotid artery becoming blocked. If blocked on one side the body will attempt to route blood from the other side across the brain, pretty amazing. Total blank is something to see a doctor about.

Not recalling where the car keys are is "normal" having the car keys and not recalling what they are or what they are for is not normal and warrants a trip to the doctor.

If you were busy doing other things the days sort of blurring together is normal. Who else recalls as a kid discovering that summer break from school was almost over in mid August with no recollection of where summer went? Or all the activities on a 10 day trip but no idea of what happened on which day. Or even part way through the trip trying to recall what day you were at a particular place? Suddenly realizing as you put the timeline together that it was a week ago you were at that diner.

David2011
12-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Just another opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. We are inundated with so much more information today and in the workplace most are expected to do much more than in the past. There's only so much space in the front of the brain for what's going on right now. Everything else has to find a spot progressively deeper in the back of the mind. When I get deeply involved in something interesting I find that I lose track of time but I don't forget what I was doing; I just lose the feel for the passage of time. I'll get out in the reloading room or gunsmithing shop and my mind says I've been working for a hour or hour and a half. The clock says three and a half hours. I love getting that immersed in something interesting.

Shopdog
12-10-2017, 07:46 PM
You "make" time for things that are important to you.

mold maker
12-10-2017, 08:00 PM
The day my Dad retired, he took off his watch and placed it in a drawer. Later I ask him what day it was and he answered, "What does it matter''?
Life is like that. Age changes perspective. Time is only important if you are reacting to someone else's schedule.

retread
12-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Lose time??!!! Heck, seems like I lose everything! Can't find my tools, my keys, or anything I have laid down in the last day, much less longer. Periodically I have to do a complete cleanup of the shop and reloading areas and put everything back were it belongs. Seems like Christmas with all the stuff that appears out of nowhere. Believe me, it only gets worse with age!!

Echo
12-10-2017, 09:12 PM
My excuse is that my memory got shot off in the wart - that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Went to my allergy clinic last week, and they pointed out that it had been 2 MONTHS since I got my last shots - I could have sworn it was only 2-3 weeks! Gettin' old sucks, but beats the alternative!

Rick Hodges
12-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Getting old ain't for Sissies............................

MaryB
12-10-2017, 09:49 PM
I am in here every day as a mod so that I remember... day of the week is optional LOL being retired and having no set schedule I lose track of days. Not to bad with losing stuff but I occasionally set something down and poof can't find it only to find it right in front of me instead of everywhere I had been looking... did that today beer brewing. Knew I had a sample tube out in the garage but where... I took it out there... oh I put it away in the brew stand where it belongs LOL

80% brew house efficiency today, that is the conversion of barley to sugar, right on my normal so I did something right!

kens
12-10-2017, 11:30 PM
So, umm, you already know how you loose things yourself, so you have a particular item you 'don't want to loose' and therefore you 'put it away so you don't loose it'...........and that's the end of it, you never see it again !!!!!!!

fiberoptik
12-11-2017, 12:12 AM
I lost my left frontal lobe in a hit and run motorcycle accident back in ‘85 on the way to propose to wifey. I was 19. Since then I have done a total 180 personality wise and am working my way back. My brain has mostly rewired, but I don’t have a good grasp of time since. Example- doctors ask how long since.....? Blank looks to the wife. If it’s over a month, dunno! The VA shrink once said to me, “I don’t get it Scott. Of all the patients I have with frontal lobe damage, you have more than all the rest put together, and of the lot of them you are the only one functioning!” Just smile and say, Jesus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldblinddog
12-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Time passes differently in Deep East Texas.

10x
12-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Still 1967 there? If so I want move there.

oldblinddog
12-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Maybe 1970...

10x
12-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Maybe 1970...

Close enough!

bedbugbilly
12-11-2017, 12:10 PM
It happens to all of us at one time or another . . . just part of getting old I guess.

As far as the writing you are doing . . . . look at it this way . . . . if it happens while you're writing nd you happen to skip a chapter . . . it will probably be a best seller "mystery"!

SSGOldfart
12-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Yes Sir 68 won't never come back either....

wgr
12-11-2017, 01:38 PM
do you take any meds for ressless legs / some of them are bad about making you forget things

Hickory
12-12-2017, 07:11 AM
The day my Dad retired, he took off his watch and placed it in a drawer. Later I ask him what day it was and he answered, "What does it matter''?

I haven't worn a watch since I was 16 years old, and since I've been retired I've adopted the attitude of, "Eat when you're hungry and sleep when you're tired" lifestyle.

zardoz
12-12-2017, 06:55 PM
When I retired at the end of 2014, I started keeping a daily journal of what I was doing, where I went, tasks done, etc.

When I was working, I knew exactly how many minutes to quitting time was, and the amount of time until Friday quitting time was. Everything in my life was structured by those numbers it seemed. One minute at the workplace, seemed to pass so slowly, at about the rate of an hour during my free time. All I thought about for over 30 years was that blessed time when I would be free. Retirement was on my mind so much. I'll never forget it. I used to say Monday through Friday took 5 million years, and Saturday and Sunday went by in two seconds.

Anyway, now without that structure, I get lost in projects...long dreamed about...of just having the time to do them. Those days are here now. Retirement is bliss. I have seen many who never developed outside interests, bored to tears...longing for the structure of the workplace again. My trouble now, is still not enough time to do all the things I want to do... but it is OK. Busier than ever really. So many things to learn, to experience, to get involved with. I can now say that those who said I would be bored to tears in retirement, well they were not too sharp or insightful, as I'm having a blast.

The journal lets me go back, and examine what I did and when I did it. It has been one of the best things I started after leaving the workplace. I often go back to it, and see what I did last year, or even the earlier part of this year. A "ships log" of the happiest time I have ever known.

Down South
12-12-2017, 09:39 PM
not so much time but I often forget which day of the week it is
That means that you are probably retired.

I used to do that when I worked 7 days a week for months on end.

Ahhh, the signs of getting older. I'm pushing 65 and I forget many unimportant things. Every day when I get in from work one of the first questions my wife will ask me is what I had for lunch? Many times I have to think about it for a while before I can remember then I can't remember what the name of meatloaf is.
Go to the store for three items, forget what two of them are and buy other stuff. I could go on but I can't remember what I was going to say.

GoodOlBoy
12-13-2017, 02:31 AM

Yes it do!

:D

GoodOlBoy

WILCO
12-13-2017, 02:37 AM
I don't believe anything the board tells me regarding stats. Just spin the wheel and keep playing.

smokeywolf
12-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Careful here. Liberals will be passing laws that say, if you have or have ever had a lapse of memory, your Constitutional rights should be revoked.

TenTea
12-13-2017, 09:07 AM
I hardly ever remember the date unless it's Pearl Harbor Day or something.

Right now, I know it's December and Christmas is coming...that is good enough until I fill out the next 4473 or write a check and will have to ask what date it is.

I've got more important things to clutter up my nearly full hard drive!

The 2 eternal answers to the 2 eternal questions:
1 - Q: Where am I? A: Here.
2 - Q: What time is it? A: Now.

What else is there?

dragon813gt
12-13-2017, 09:32 AM
I don't lose time. But my body never knows what time it is where I'm at. Crossing time zones for work has a way of screwing w/ your internal clock. As soon as my body adjusts its time to get back on a plane and fly somewhere else.