PDA

View Full Version : LEE and the word "Safety"

PatMarlin
11-20-2005, 08:07 AM
I have really come to appreciate LEE's "Safety" scale powder measure, because using other scales like Redding's newer "Green" colored scale for instance is accurate, but it is easily bumped out of measurement.

This can be awfully dangerous, specially for a un-suspecting new person to our hobby, so I thought I would write this thread, and also cause it's 4 a.m. :mrgreen:

LEE's safety scale locks in your measurement, and if it's bumped out, it can only go out 10 grains minimum, which the way it's designed- at that point you know somethings wrong cause your mistake obviously becomes a noticeable problem on this scale.

It is darn accurate. I've got 2 other scales and it's right on the money, and the others agree. LEE has some flimsy gear, but this scale is well made, and as strong as it needs to be... unless you drop the beam on the floor, then stomp on it. Could have a problem then.

For powder measurement, LEE's scale is a safe tool. The others I use mostly for weighing bullets. :Fire: :coffee:

Buckshot
11-21-2005, 08:04 AM
............Thanks for writing the report. Always nice to hear of firsthand users feelings and review.

.............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
11-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Ditto to Buckshot's response. Weighing powder and setting the powder measure is a step I am VERY STRICT about--at least three test weighs, then weigh an accumulation of charges, and use of scale test weights before and after. That Lee tool sounds pretty well thought out.

Four Fingers of Death
11-22-2005, 07:17 AM
I started with an RCBS/Ohaus that I picked up in the Rockchucker combo kit. Used it for years and someone stole the pan off the bench believe it or not. They wouldn't supply me with another one without sending the scale away. I found a kitchen dipper which fitted and balanced the pan. Used it for years and it was ok, static was a problem sometimes and I eventually made up one from one of the wife's preserver jar lids. I was cashed up one day and bought a Lee.

Like most Lee products, you gotta think outside the square. It is very sensitive and is annoying how it takes a long time to centre, but is a good little scale. I like the ease of zeroing, which is something I do first thing, every time I use it. I keep it in a big see through plastic storage box (box upside down) at eye level in front of me. If it gets hot and I have th efan on, I can replace the storage box over the upturned lid which everything sits on and the scale will not be affected by any breezes. The graduations are a bit difficult at first, but you get the hang of it. I found that using the flat of my right thumb nail, while I support the beam is the best way of unsnapping the button to move the weight adjuster. Before this was worked out, the little scale is easily disturbed.

Good bit of kit!