PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a casting mentor in Upstate SC

rdwarrior
12-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Hi, first thanks for letting me join this group. I am getting ready to start casting my own bullets again after not doing it for 45 years. I would like to find a mentor in the Upstate SC area so I can re-learn to cast my own bullets.
Thanks
Ron Green

nagantguy
12-07-2017, 11:14 AM
I'm a long way off in MI but for starters welcome and let this place be your mentor; read the stickies and keep notes on what you learn, pour the lead hot hot hot into a hot mold and size line or pc load and shoot after of course slugging your barrels to see what size they need to be. It's really that simple and it's non addictive and will save you lots of money and no one will judge you for becoming a consummate lead scrounger, scrap yards, demolition sites, garage sales are all good places,one of the last yards sales of the year here I bought about 100 pounds of soft lead downrigher balls and a small box of pewter figures for $15.
Please remember gloves and safety classes! Look up posts on the tinsel fairy coming to visit ; so a heavy shop apron isn't a bad idea either.
It's not a race to right off the rip have every piece of gear and mold available; you'll get their one day, what calibers do you plan to start with?

D Crockett
12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
I can help you via the computer. if that would help I live in Florida. do a search of the members that live in SC you might find someone close by or just ask questions here on the forum someone will give you a answer D Crockett

JimB..
12-07-2017, 11:30 PM
You’ll find a number of folk at Carolina firearms forum that would help. I’m near Charlotte, but lack the experience to guide you safely.

country gent
12-07-2017, 11:50 PM
In Northwest Ohio here but willing to help answer questions thru e-mails, PMs, and or phone calls. What are you planning to cast for firearms wise and caliber wise? Also what use for them? I cast mostly for Black Powder rounds. Big heavy soft bullets of 38-45 caliber in the weight range of 350-550 grns. Finding a mentor is good finding one that's doing what you want to do is even better

Victor N TN
12-09-2017, 10:17 PM
If you're like me and have spots of bare skin poking through the hair, you might want to always wear a cap on your noggin. Safety first.

Moonie
12-13-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm in central NC (Thomasville), probably too far for you, but I'm willing if you want.

bsev81
12-13-2017, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure I qualify for "mentor" status but always willing to try to help, what area of upstate? I'm in Camden a little closer to the garnet area, takes me about an hour and a few to get to Fort Mill/Rock Hill area. If you're further west i'm sure there are some members from the orange region that will chime in. Many that posted before me can be just as helpful or even more so behind a keyboard as someone helping hands on.

rdwarrior
12-24-2017, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the offers guys - unfortunately no one is very close to me. I have actually started casting now and also PC them. Been 45+ years since I have cast anything to go down range. :)

barnabus
12-31-2017, 07:56 AM
i live in Chester SC