PDA

View Full Version : Dogs ....a blessing .

Boaz
12-05-2017, 09:56 PM
I went to a nursing home today . I sat at a chair outside the door before I went in . A lady in a wheelchair came by with a little dog with a sweater on . I knew that dog . I asked ... is that Janice's dog ? She said yes !
Janice died last year , this little dog was her life . Cute little dog , raised in a rest home . Janice died about a year ago , I was glad that little dog was still serving . Her name was Little Bit when she belonged to Janice . This is a happy story , GOD's comfort given by a small dog .

xbeeman412
12-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Dogs serve a great purpose for those sick or infermed. Service dogs that visit the hospitals and nursing homes are a blessing.

bangerjim
12-06-2017, 12:36 AM
I like cats.

richhodg66
12-06-2017, 07:47 AM
I like cats.

Me too, much better companions than many think.

However, I love dogs too. I'm real glad that little one found another person to love. Shelters often have older dogs whose owners passed and no one wanted them, always breaks my heart to see it, glad this one is happy.

GhostHawk
12-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Thanksgiving day my wife and I stopped in at the nursing home Casey and I visit.

We got mobbed. " We saw your letter, we were so sad we were not going to see you till spring, and then here you are!"

Few tears, lots of love, lots of hugs by my Casey boy. Who is wearing a red and black shirt that says "Free Hugs".

We'll be back. Been tough since then, wife and I have both been down with the CRUD.

bedbugbilly
12-06-2017, 11:40 AM
We had my mother-in-law in assisted living for a little over three years. She was mobile and mentally as sharp as a tack. Sadly, she died a year and a half ago at the age of 94. Every Sunday, we brought our two little dogs wit us - a 10 pound poodle and a 20 pound poodle-lichen mix - both very good and gentle dogs. She looked forward to seeing the as she love d them so much when she lived with us. The trip with the was never complete until we made the "rounds" so those that loved dogs could see them. A smile would spread across their faces when they saw us coming and they got such great joy out of petting them - and then telling us about the dogs they once had and how much they loved them. We would take then over on the Alzheimer unit and many of them got the same joy and comfort by petting and talking to them. We often stopped in during the week if we were nearby. Others brought their dogs in as well and the staff encouraged it as it brought such great joy to the residents. There's a reason that dog spelled backwards is God.

So many who live in nursing homes, assisted living, etc. have no family that comes to visit them on a regular basis, some have no family at all. I urge everyone to give up a few hours once n a while and make a visit to one of the facilities near them - introduce yourself and ask the staff if there is someone who could use a visit for a few minutes. It won't take ling and you'll establish a friendhship with them and you'll find yourself wanting to visit ore often. These are good people who often get lonely and just crave some contact with someone and a few minutes of conversation. They need to know that someone cares and give them a word of encouragement - you'll find that what you give will be returned to you in many ways.

Boaz
12-06-2017, 02:04 PM
We had my mother-in-law in assisted living for a little over three years. She was mobile and mentally as sharp as a tack. Sadly, she died a year and a half ago at the age of 94. Every Sunday, we brought our two little dogs wit us - a 10 pound poodle and a 20 pound poodle-lichen mix - both very good and gentle dogs. She looked forward to seeing the as she love d them so much when she lived with us. The trip with the was never complete until we made the "rounds" so those that loved dogs could see them. A smile would spread across their faces when they saw us coming and they got such great joy out of petting them - and then telling us about the dogs they once had and how much they loved them. We would take then over on the Alzheimer unit and many of them got the same joy and comfort by petting and talking to them. We often stopped in during the week if we were nearby. Others brought their dogs in as well and the staff encouraged it as it brought such great joy to the residents. There's a reason that dog spelled backwards is God.

So many who live in nursing homes, assisted living, etc. have no family that comes to visit them on a regular basis, some have no family at all. I urge everyone to give up a few hours once n a while and make a visit to one of the facilities near them - introduce yourself and ask the staff if there is someone who could use a visit for a few minutes. It won't take ling and you'll establish a friendhship with them and you'll find yourself wanting to visit ore often. These are good people who often get lonely and just crave some contact with someone and a few minutes of conversation. They need to know that someone cares and give them a word of encouragement - you'll find that what you give will be returned to you in many ways.

Thank you for posting bedbugbilly ! There is a great need in the rest homes for volunteers .

buckwheatpaul
12-06-2017, 08:03 PM
dog = GOD spelled in reverse......glad she is still taking care of her human friends.....thanks for sharing Charlie.....Paul

trapper9260
12-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Years ago when I had to have my mom in a nursing home. I use to bring my 2 coydogs at the time with me and after i was about to go I use to bring my 2 boys in part of the lobby for my mom to see them and also some of the others that lived there like seeing them also .My mom and the other always look forward to see them.The thing was that my mom was the only one that know what my 2 boys was.

10-x
12-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Our current Grey is a huge comfort to my wife after chemo messed her up 5 years ago. He knows how to be there for her. He is such a well behaved, laid back Grey he is allowed in our local pharmacy. Owner said, he's never broken anything, yelled, screamed , thrown a fit or thrown something from a rack. Dogs have a purpose.

dverna
12-06-2017, 10:31 PM
I believe it was Mark Twain who said that if dogs were not allowed in Heaven he would not want to go there.

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2017, 06:15 AM
there was a big argument in another fourm about whether God lets animals into heaven when they die. My reponse was that if mine weren't there its not heaven. One thing that would keep me from fearing death in the last moments of life would be that I will be able to see those dogs again and we all would spend eternity together. It would mean as much to me as seeing family again because that's just what they are! I had a very special attachment to my last one. Hes the pup in my avatar. His name was elmer after elmer keith and that dog was more like God intended humans to be then most humans are.
I believe it was Mark Twain who said that if dogs were not allowed in Heaven he would not want to go there.

smokeywolf
12-07-2017, 06:46 AM

Timber has done some emotional support for some of the seniors at a local hospital.

There may be one or two things Lloyd and I disagree on, but we couldn't be closer on our dogs.

GhostHawk
12-07-2017, 09:00 AM
"that dog was more like God intended humans to be then most humans are. "

Amen and Amen!

I'm with Smokey, we may not see eye to eye on every subject Lloyd. But on this subject we do.

If my old Blue girl is not waiting for me I ain't goin either.

dverna
12-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Lloyd, my dad used to say you can tell a lot about the man by how his dog behaves.

There has not been a dog in the house for six years. Maybe it is time.....

claude
12-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Dogs ....a blessing

Indeed, they are. I live alone, have for any years, my little dog took ill and I had to put her down about ten days ago. It sucked, still does, she was my constant companion for just about twelve years. By watching her I learned a great deal about patience, and gained some insight into myself and my relationship with the Father. All she cared about mostly, was pleasing me, and doing what she thought I wanted her to, much the way I feel towards God. I observed that she would get so intent upon doing a simple thing, such as finding a ball, that she would ignore my hand signals and for the most part my spoken word unless I raised my voice.

I sometimes see myself ramming around trying to please God, so intent on my "mission" that I miss His subtle signs, consequently it often takes me longer to reach my goal, and often, He just has to stop me and reset my thinking. Perhaps that makes sense to some of you perhaps not, regardless, that was one of the major blessing Lacey brought into my life. That, and she loved me no matter what, made me a gentler and kinder man.

Claude

RED BEAR
12-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Amen !!! Could not imagine not having my three little guy's. Had 2 then grand daughter moved in with us now we have 3. It only took about a month before food vet bills and having to take care of him and the shine wore off. But he is a welcome addition to the family. Dogs are one of the best things in life.

MaryB
12-07-2017, 09:44 PM
My lab Misty always knew when I needed cheering and pretty soon her head would be on my knee and her tail thumping the floor. Impossible to resist that and she would get petted and my stress level would drop. Now I have cats and Oliver is learning my moods like Tigger knew them. He is hanging out on the back of my chair as I type with his head on my shoulder and his purr is massaging my sore neck(slept wrong, with the plate it can cause some issues...). He knows what hurts and likes to lay against or on it.

GhostHawk
12-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Dogs ....a blessing

Indeed, they are. I live alone, have for any years, my little dog took ill and I had to put her down about ten days ago. It sucked, still does, she was my constant companion for just about twelve years. By watching her I learned a great deal about patience, and gained some insight into myself and my relationship with the Father. All she cared about mostly, was pleasing me, and doing what she thought I wanted her to, much the way I feel towards God. I observed that she would get so intent upon doing a simple thing, such as finding a ball, that she would ignore my hand signals and for the most part my spoken word unless I raised my voice.

I sometimes see myself ramming around trying to please God, so intent on my "mission" that I miss His subtle signs, consequently it often takes me longer to reach my goal, and often, He just has to stop me and reset my thinking. Perhaps that makes sense to some of you perhaps not, regardless, that was one of the major blessing Lacey brought into my life. That, and she loved me no matter what, made me a gentler and kinder man.

Claude

Claude, you said a mouthful brother.

Often times I think when we are scrambling frantically to please him. We need to stop, look at his face, and it will become obvious what he wants us to do.

I know sometimes my Casey is a foot from the ball, with this "boss I don't understand" look on his face. Because he is all wrapped up in the fluffy toy and did not catch that I wanted the ball.

I think sometimes we just need to slow down, listen, look up into his face and pray for inspiration.
I know the Lord looks at me like I look at my dog. "Ohhh come on bill, your a smart guy, don't give me that dumb look, figure it out!"

I also know he forgives me for it, and keeps trying to give me clues.

But I know how much my little dog has taught me.

I am sorry to hear that you lost yours. I will be praying for you.

Mr_Sheesh
12-07-2017, 11:57 PM
MaryB, yep cats & dogs are both blessings :) Only time I've had a cat knowing where I hurt & wanting to help go wrong was when it's an incision (gall bladder removed) & the stubborn kitty was insisting on standing ON it, we had to have a little talk till she understood. Basically "Ow" & a flinch from me. Sometimes a quiet calm loving snuggle says more than any human is capable of saying.

And darn I miss having a dog around too. Cats & dogs are just different forms of wonderfullness :) I aspire to be as good, probably don't manage it always, sadly.

MaryB
12-08-2017, 09:34 PM
I don't have the energy to chase a puppy around anymore... been keeping an eye open for a 4-5 year old lab but so far just problem dogs...

Boaz
12-08-2017, 09:48 PM
I don't have the energy to chase a puppy around anymore... been keeping an eye open for a 4-5 year old lab but so far just problem dogs...

Mary I understand . I have 3 dogs . Oldest I have probably around 16 by vet's guess . A full size Rat terrier I know is 12 years old , A Minipen that came from the humane society about 6 years old . I don't want to die and leave one to be put down or not be taken care of . At an age of with health problems giving an older dog a chance for a good life is right . Hope you find that dog .

smokeywolf
12-08-2017, 10:26 PM

Mary, I've encountered few herding dogs or retrievers that were tolerable to live with unless you work them for at least an hour or two each day. In your climate a Malamute might be a good choice for you. They'll go out and play when you want to do that or be a couch potato when you're too stove up to go out and play. Down side with Mals is, they're kissin' cousins to the grey wolf and therefore suffer acute separation anxiety if you leave them alone. Also, if you're contemplating a dog, be sure to get a male. A female dog, horse or whatever will often be predisposed to compete with a human female for alpha female of the pack.

Aside from Malamutes, I might suggest guarding dogs: Belgian Tervuren, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog or maybe a Newfoundland. No mater which breed you choose, as pure breeds are more susceptible to health problems, I would be looking for a mix or mutt, not a pure breed.

Yeah, I've a soft spot for the big ones.

Cleatus
12-08-2017, 11:12 PM
My golden doodle retriever must be broken :) All he wants to do is sleep and chase the cats when the "vaccuummm" is in use :)

Mr_Sheesh
12-08-2017, 11:28 PM
Had a Leonberger/GSD mix, 150# of leaning love dog :) Lovely breed, Leos are mellow (most all the big dogs are.)

Only big dog I was ever injured by was a friends' St. Bernard puppy, he kept bruising the heck out of me with that mace-like tail-club of his LOL! Wagtailed silly dog, just overly friendly. And huge :)

For those others wanting a beastie, if you aren't in a high energy situation then pick a breed that's mellower and a dog that's mellow for that breed and you should do well. LOTS of rescue groups out there to work with, and most of them work together to help dogs any way they can - for lower energy I'd avoid the usual suspects i.e. Greyhounds, Dalmations, those high energy dogs.

Met an Irish Water Spaniel that was a gal's service dog, that breed is interesting (Been years so I'm afraid I don't recall her energy level) - That breed has a heck of a good sense of humor, she had about 74 dogs' worth of ball drive, and that breed has curly hair, not fur, so someone allergic to dog fur might find the breed interesting. I liked that dog's personality a LOT, but then I'm easy on liking dogs :) Especially ones with humor.

10-x
12-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Greyhounds ARE NOT high maint., high energy unless you get a puppy. Puppies can cost $7,000 .oo, so retired rescues are ones best bet. Once retired they just want to lay around, eat, sleep and go out to do their business. Some like long walks, others seem lazy. Neighbor had one that had its own sofa, no one could sit on it. Pretty funny. Once Greys get to a home, get some love, petting, rubbing and scratching they are the best dogs for any age. Size of where one lives may have a bearing as they are large and need room. Many rescue kennels require one to have a fenced yard , at least 4' high fence, keep them on leash when out of house/ yard and keep them in the house. Greys have thin skin and very little fur/ hair which vacuums right up. Most do not have the" dog" smell, bathe once a month and they are good to go. Problem is they have kind of short life, 7-8 years and they have teeth issues wich lead to heart problems. Cancer and kidney failure get the others. A few live to an old age. Friend had one that was 14! Sadly ours is over 11 but has kidney failure, have to put him down soon. Check on line for a rescue group or kennel near you if interested. Agan, they make wonderful pets.

Herb in Pa
12-09-2017, 12:20 PM
After I lost my Sheltie/Terrier female mix I moped around for 6 weeks and decided to check out the local shelter. I was adopted by a Vizsla/Terrier mix about 7 months old. This little guy is a handful even after 2 years, but he keeps me young at heart and semi exercised.

MaryB
12-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Oh an hour of play s fine, good for both of us! But puppies need way more than an hour a day! Been there, done that. Where I am not a lot of dogs go to rescue, population density here is really low and mostly rural... thought about a husky type mix, need a breed that can handle MN cold!

GhostHawk
12-09-2017, 10:22 PM
Old friend of mine used to keep 2-3 grayhounds. He lived out on the farm where he could let them run jackrabbits and fox.

Nothing better on a cold day than a grayhound to curl up next you and thump his tail while you worked him over nice and slow. Good mellow dogs the ones I met. Go like a bat out of heck on a frosty morning.

nagantguy
12-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Always have had and will have dogs around; God gave them to us cause we can't be our own best friend. Having and selling that litter of 9 pups this last spring we all agree was the best most rewarding thing we've done as a family!

MaryB
12-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Wow checked the local rescue, $250+++ for adoption fees on a dog... will keep checking the local trader that comes out once a week...

Parson
12-10-2017, 11:19 PM
I often say that God made dogs for people, the only animal I that know that prefers human company to it own

6bg6ga
12-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Quote:
there was a big argument in another fourm about whether God lets animals into heaven when they die. My reponse was that if mine weren't there its not heaven. One thing that would keep me from fearing death in the last moments of life would be that I will be able to see those dogs again and we all would spend eternity together. It would mean as much to me as seeing family again because that's just what they are! I had a very special attachment to my last one. Hes the pup in my avatar. His name was elmer after elmer keith and that dog was more like God intended humans to be then most humans are.

Lloyd, I couldn't have said it any better. I have lost a few good German Shepherds and I hope God sees fit to let them into Heaven too.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Two things single out the dog, among animals. One is how much his shape, size and even instinct can be modified by selective breeding. I don't think anybody could breed a tiger twenty times the size of another, or one to live among sheep and guard them unsupervised for days, or think jumping a car seat with an unbroken egg in his mouth was what raised him above the beasts of the field. The other is his loyalty to family members, and to accept the most unlikely non-canines as family members or friends. He'll protect a cat against other dogs, because it is his cat.

I suppose a rescue kennel has to be funded somehow, and £250 could be 40 cents a week for the time you'll have the dog. But chasing or being chased by a well-chosen puppy could be better than undesirable behavioural traits in a dog that is set in his ways. They can't all be picked up on in a rescue kennel.

It is certainly true that mongrel vigour can be an improvement on some pedigree breeds, especially those that are show-bred for looks, occasionally bizarre looks, to the exclusion of all else. Or so fashionable that price encourages unreasonably prolific breeding. But some pedigree breeds are very sound, and the breed associations often do valuable work on screening. Also, the balance has changed. Much information is coming in about hereditary diseases which result from carrier and carrier, neither manifesting the condition, and some associations have made valuable rules which are well on the way to eliminating them - within that breed. "I think it was next door's beagle" doesn't measure up to that.

Greyhounds are lightning-fast when there is a need, but have none of the collie's need to be doing something... anything. You get a lot of relaxation time with a greyhound. A greyhound forced into fighting, given open space, is fearsome, but force is about what it takes. Racing greyhounds have to be handled by strangers, so they are docile with strange humans. They become uncompetitive after about three, and racing kennels can't keep most of their inmates as pensioners, so a lot get put down. Retired racing greyhounds deserve to be rescued - by the right person, in the right place. But you can't fairly expect them not to chase small running animals.

Unfortunately they aren't intellectual giants of the dog world. Even Lanty Hanlon the Irish terrier, who loves whippets and isn't worried about size, sees something missing in many of them. It isn't invariable. Yesterday I heard of a kennel owner who couldn't work out who was letting his dogs loose at night. Eventually he found that one greyhound had learned to get his paw out of the door of his cage, and work the catch. He was going to the food store, breakfasting well, and then going back to spring the other inmates.

The difference isn't just in intelligence, but in eagerness to please. Lanty has both, but also so high an opinion of humans, even strangers, that he knows it doesn't take all that obedience training pantomime to make them love him.

I think the dog has an awareness many think limited to the higher apes. He has an idea of who and what he is. I recall a friend's two lurchers (greyhound-collie cross, mostly) looking in horror when his mother's whippet visited, and stole from the table. "We don't do that here!" Or my cairn terrier refusing to walk within six feet of my old collie all the way home, when she caught up with rabbits, but found they didn't want to play. Somebody might have thought they were together. Here Lanty has taught his friend Truffle to leap onto his rock when she thought she couldn't. For anyone used to interpreting expression through his whiskers, "Told you you could!" is plain on his face.

Herb in Pa
12-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Wow checked the local rescue, $250+++ for adoption fees on a dog... will keep checking the local trader that comes out once a week...

That's about the price when I adopted Hondo, vet bills, microchipping, food and utility costs add up quickly..............

dave 45-90
12-13-2017, 07:53 PM

5 Standards

bdicki
12-15-2017, 04:44 PM
This says it all.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?350003-The-dog-first

Elkins45
12-17-2017, 07:23 PM
My dad spent the last two years of his life in Tompson Hood Veteran’s Center in Wilmore, KY by his own choice. It’s a state owned facility that provides care for veterans who need it. Several times when I was there when I walked through the common area there was a dog of some sort surrounded by a crowd of old vets who were obviously happy to see it.

In the last school where I taught we housed the unit for the most severely handicapped students in the district. Our attendance clerk had a GIANT mastiff that she brought in as a therapy dog. It was more like a therapy pony:) It would almost make you cry to see how happy those kids were when they were with her. She would lay on her side and let those kids wool her around and never even raise her head.

Dogs make people happy.

GhostHawk
12-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Casey and I were back at our local nursing home today. Lots of smiles, some chaos and confusion.

One of our regulars spent most of the week in Hospital with Pneumonia, got moved to a different room. But another of my regulars Doris knew all about it and told me where to find her.

Casey was overjoyed when a young boy and a girl came around the corner.
They spent a while with lots of smiles and a few puppy dog kisses.

In the end it was an hour and a half, lots of smiles, some new friends, some old friends, and bumped into a guy I used to know. You know one of those big guys, 6 foot with a full beard.

He's older now, shrinking, but he recognized me. Gave me a hint till I figured it out.
That one alone would have made my week.

And all because one little dog needed more people in his life.

Thank you Casey! He's sleeping in the chair across from me, eyes fixed on my face.
I think we do not give them enough credit.

Mr_Sheesh
12-17-2017, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to give them enough credit.

I am sure looking forwards to moving to a house so I can have a dog again :)

barrabruce
12-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Ting ting tingle ting la la la la la
I'm just one happy tail wagging friendly dog.
Dog slobber kisses to all for xmas whooohoo
I'm up for it.

Sally must have picked me for a reason I think.
You cant be sad when your smiling
Ha
Talk about keep you on your toes too.
;-)

mac266
12-22-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm a retired police officer. One of the techniques I learned early in my career is that when going to peoples' houses, make friends with their dogs. Many people believe dogs can sense character (including me -- they KNOW), and assume that if their dog likes you, you must be a good person. As a dog lover, it was easy. I've rarely met a dog I didn't love!

Although when working in the ghetto on the midnight shift, many drug dealers had pit bulls trained to attack uniforms.

smokeywolf
12-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Dogs use your facial expression, body posturing and odor of your body chemistry (which can change in seconds) to ascertain your mood and intentions. Dogs also have a characteristic called a "left gaze bias". Humans show their mood, intentions and emotions on the right side of their face quicker and more obviously than the left side. Dogs learn this and know it and therefore, immediately look at the right side of your face.

https://www.canidae.com/blog/2009/12/what-is-left-gaze-bias-how-does-it-relate-to-dogs/