PDA

View Full Version : Method for embedding firelapping grit

higgins
12-05-2017, 08:06 PM
I want to try firelapping, and I like to use what I have on hand if at all possible. I already have a selection of Clover abrasive grease of suitable grits on hand and the appropriate bullets. I didn't have a couple of pieces of smooth steel or glass to roll the bullets with. I was looking around the workbench and toolbox, and I saw the smooth putty knife in the tool box. I knew I had a larger one so I dug it out and made the device in the photo.

I set the large putty knife so the handle butts against the edge of the 2x4, so the two screws secure the large one in place. I put the abrasive grease on the large blade and use the small one to roll the bullets. the springiness of the small knife makes it easy to roll the bullets, and allows putting pressure on them to embed the grit. This is the only way I've tried it, but I can't imagine another process producing less mess. Since the "roller" has a handle on it there is no need for multiple bullets to be rolled at the same time to keep from dragging the roller in the grease. I haven't fired the bullets yet but they looked OK.

Victor N TN
12-05-2017, 09:26 PM
I helped a friend of mine make some up. I used a standard file and rolled the lead bullets on it with a little force. I used my fingers to roll them on the file. Then when he was ready to shoot them he rolled them in the Clover paste and loaded them. He said it did what it was supposed to do. Personally, I prefer to hand lap with a good one piece cleaning rod. But that's just me.

AR15-SBR
12-06-2017, 03:52 AM
I used an old hand plane on a steel plate I had laying around.

sigep1764
12-06-2017, 06:22 AM
I wiped JB bore paste on the boolit, loaded it in the case, wiped some on the ogive careful to get any near the case mouth, and single loaded them. Took 10 rounds to smooth the bore out. Different ways to skin the cat.

Big Boomer
12-06-2017, 12:52 PM
What you have arranged should work nicely. I have Veral Smith's LBT compound that works great. The lap works most effectively early in the process, less well later or further down the bore ... meaning that you will produce a "choke" bore with your method, unlike hand lapping. If you are lapping a rifle, be careful not to overdo with too many rounds. If you are doing handguns, be aware that stainless steel will require several more lap rounds to get the job done. Ordinance steel will require only a few rounds to smooth up a bore compared to stainless. If working with revolvers, be sure the chamber throats are larger than the bore at the outset. Caution is the word. Shoot five rounds or no more than ten and slug to see what has been accomplished. Once metal is removed by lapping, the metal cannot be replaced. Big Boomer

P. S. A good Vernier micrometer is an absolute necessity for gauging bore size of a slug. This is one place where guesstimating is not a good idea.

lucifers
12-06-2017, 02:21 PM
You can buy a kit for dirt on amazon.

murf205
12-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Higgins, you will get more accurate readings with a good micrometer. Just remember to wipe the boolit down to remove any metal and grit before you mic it.

oldblinddog
12-07-2017, 12:36 AM
You can buy a kit for dirt on amazon.

^^^
This