PDA

View Full Version : Flatscreen TV

shaper
12-04-2017, 01:51 AM
Our 3 year old 50 inch flat screen tv died today. we had audio but no video. brand name is Insignia. A tech from Dish came out and told us there was nothing he could do for it. So I am looking for a replacement. I am not familiar with them enough to know which to buy. So which brand would you look at or bypass. I'm guessing a price of $300 to $400 would be my top range. Yeah I'm cheap.

lucifers
12-04-2017, 03:09 AM
Amazon is your friend.

You might check on Ebay for a new video card for yours and look on the net for known problems.

I have a Samsung that did the same thing. An $80 video card off Ebay has it back working.

Doubt anyone from DISH knows much about fixing a TV.

Before you bought an Insignia, you shuda read this: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/insignia.html

I have 2 Vizio TVs out west and they have lasted 3 years thru power surges and lightening storms. You can buy a 48" for <$400

winelover
12-04-2017, 08:10 AM
I have two Vizio's, also. Their Customer support is great and on the few occasions that we called, we actually talked to an American. The newest one, bought this Spring, replaced a five year old Toshiba.

Nowadays, TV's are throw away items. Not built to last, longer than the warranty. Hence, I will not purchase the most expensive brands. The first Vizio, is on it's sixth year, and still going strong.

Winelover

Dryball
12-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Another vote for Vizio. Have had mine for 4 yeas and it's survived my dog and kids...wish I could say the same for the remote

Boolit_Head
12-04-2017, 09:03 AM
We've had Samsung but the Visio look awful good. They have come up a lot since Visio started putting out products.

2wheelDuke
12-04-2017, 09:12 AM
I used to think Samsung TV's were the best. But everybody in my family has had trouble with theirs. Mine's had some little issues but is soldiering on nearly a decade later, but with a sound bar for sound because the TV wanted to act like headphones were plugged in, no matter what I did trying to clean out the jack.

I'd probably be looking at a Vizio when this one finally gives up for good.

dragon813gt
12-04-2017, 09:14 AM
My search begins and ends w/ Samsung. The one in my bedroom is practically one of the original flat screens. Bought it back when a 40" class was still over $1k. It's still working like new. The one in the living room is newer and still works perfectly. There are other brands. But I find Samsung to have the best picture for the price. The audio on all them is bad so a sound bar is needed at a minimum.

Handloader109
12-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Amazon for a TV? You really think shipping an individual TV thru us or FedEx especially this time of year year is a good idea? Go to Walmart and buy one. Same price, shipped by truck and if you have an issue, ea to return. BTW, under $400 for 55 inch. I've two Sanyo over 8 yrs old and still going good, one is now over 11

1911sw45
12-04-2017, 09:35 AM
I bought a Hisense 50" 4K from Walmart two years ago. It's been the best tvi have ever owned. It replaced 42" Samsung. There is no comparison between the two. When I bought it, it came with a two yr in home warranty . If you registered it online you got an additional two yrs warranty in home. So I got 4 yrs in home warranty. It cost 350.00. I think you can get the 55" Hisense 4K now for the same price. When I have to get a new one it will be another Hisense! Also it has a vary thin black edge about 5/8"wide. My daughter just bought a Hisense 65" 4K and she's loving it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-55-Class-4K-2160P-Smart-LED-TV-55H6D/108845479

dragon813gt
12-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Amazon for a TV? You really think shipping an individual TV thru us or FedEx especially this time of year year is a good idea?

I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is very easy to deal w/ when it comes to returns. Not as quick as taking it back to Walmart. But the whole process is easy and you will have a new TV in two days. Amazon just delivered a snow blower to my house. Could have gone to Lowe's to buy it. But they don't accept Hilton Honors points like Amazon does [emoji3]

lucifers
12-04-2017, 11:52 AM
WalMart is fine IF you have one. Where I live it's 100 miles+ away and when you get there you have no navigate thru these:

KMac
12-04-2017, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is very easy to deal w/ when it comes to returns. Not as quick as taking it back to Walmart. But the whole process is easy and you will have a new TV in two days. Amazon just delivered a snow blower to my house. Could have gone to Lowe's to buy it. But they don't accept Hilton Honors points like Amazon does [emoji3]

Did not know you could use Hilton Honors points at Amazon. Thank you for that.

vzerone
12-04-2017, 01:07 PM
One of the members mentioned Fedex. My daughter has been telling me for a good while how screwed up Fedex is and I wasn't believing it till I started paying attention. Now all the package service companies have their problems, but Fedx leads the pack with us anyways. We have had more messed up deliveries with Fedex then any of the others. Recently on the news I was amazed at the news articles coming out about them. One of their employees working in the package sorting warehouse was killed when it got caught up in the convey line. Just on the news a Fedex tractor trailor driver caused a major accident down my way when he rolled the truck over. The list goes on with them. But nothing tops the female Amazon deliverer when she pooped in some guy's lawn because she had to really go!!! LOL Amazon fired her and apologized to the guy.

dragon813gt
12-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Did not know you could use Hilton Honors points at Amazon. Thank you for that.

My pleasure. Be aware that the point value is horrendous. You get a lot more value if you use the points for rooms. But a free snow blower is a free snow blower because I'm reimbursed for my hotels stays. In my case it's literally free money [emoji2]

Crash_Corrigan
12-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I have a Panasonic Plasma TV that I bought new in 2000. I added a sound bar and it has been solgering on since. Never an issue with the TV.

tim338
12-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Sony is the best brand in my opinion. I worked for a cable company for 7 years as a service technican. It was rare to see a bad Sony television. That's all I buy and have never had a problem with one.

vzerone
12-04-2017, 05:24 PM
I've had bad luck with Sony, RCA, and Toshiba. I've had excellent results with Samsung and can't seem to break one. On the other hand I will never own another Samsung dishwasher. I do believe they are great in electronics.

bullet maker 57
12-04-2017, 05:48 PM
I have 3 Samsungs. The oldest is 6 years old. Not a problem what so ever.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-04-2017, 06:09 PM
One hint, not mentioned yet, Heat will speed up failure with LED TVs. If your TV is in a cabinet or enclosed entertainment center, be sure to have some ventilation holes cut in it.

Another thing, The TV's offered on Black Friday (or other SUPER SALE) are built to economical specifications with cheaper components and are more likely to fail sooner.
> I learned this a few days after I bought my 'second' Black Friday TV (the first one lasted 2 years). I'm on 3 years with this second TV, it's still fine, but I am on the lookout for a new one anyway. I like the Picture quality of Samsung, but I'm also drawn toward Vizio's 4K sizes and features.

MaryB
12-04-2017, 08:53 PM
I bought a Vizio 55" 4k TV last December, it replaced a 8 year old Vizio that finally died from all the power outages and surges.

Your bad TV probably has a picture and the back light power supply is bad. Very common failure, about $5 in parts and I bill $30 for an hours labor.

shooterg
12-04-2017, 11:00 PM
For us technical neandertals, what's a "sound bar" ?

Boolit_Head
12-04-2017, 11:04 PM
speakers in a bar like container

mtnman31
12-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Vizio - got ours seven years ago and it is going strong. It's been a great TV. It has a bunch of aps and features we've never used because our internet connection isn't fast enough. Have Samsung in the bedroom that was used when given to me. Not sure its age. It has a good picture but no other features, pretty bare bones. It hasn't seen as much use as the Vizio but seems to be a good TV as well.

Minerat
12-05-2017, 01:00 AM

Right! Only if it is defective. I ordered a CD player that I returned because I did not want it when I thought it was a DVD player and when it was all said and done it cost me $55 of the $120 I spent on it. It cost me nearly twice as much to ship it back as it did for them to send it. Then they tagged me for an open box AND A RESTOCKING FEE when their return directions said to open box and put return info in box in case something happens during shipment. I'll never buy a large item from Amazon again because of this hidden cost and deceptive practices of telling you to do something and then penalizing you for doing it. I pointed it out to them and kindly got the finger from them. I basically paid them to abuse me, and I didn't even get a kiss. Unless I know for sure it is what I want I don't buy it on line where I can't take it in and confront customer service.

shaper
12-05-2017, 01:09 AM
So I went out today and bought a 48 inch Vizio . I cant put it on the mantel above the fireplace, the legs are wider than the mantel. I'll go to the local carpenter shop tomorrow and pick up a 1x12. It cost $348. at Walmart, had to drive 45 miles to get it.

clum553946
12-05-2017, 05:17 AM
Westinghouse make a good one for under $300, I’ve bought 2 from best buy

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2017, 06:17 AM
we bought a 55 inch hd phillips for 300 bucks from Walmart on a chirstmas sale last year. It has a great picture. As good as my other sets a sanyo and a visio.

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2017, 06:18 AM
we bought a 55 inch 4k ultra hd phillips for 300 bucks from Walmart on a chirstmas sale last year. It has a great picture. As good as my other sets a sanyo and a visio.

winelover
12-05-2017, 07:42 AM
I have Sonos sound bars for both of my Visio's. Capable of playing internet music like Pandora radio and Sirius.

Winelover

shaper
12-05-2017, 06:22 PM
I opened the box to put the new tv on the wall today. Then I saw the screen was trashed at the top. Made the drive again to return it. came home with a 50 inch vizio.

mold maker
12-05-2017, 07:18 PM
I purchased a 42" Elemental for use in a future bedroom. When I moved it to the new location after construction and installed it, there were 2 1/2 wide dead (black) vertical stripes. Of course the warrenty was worthless, and I have a huge paperweight that I paid $247. for. It would cost more than it's value to repair.

Handloader109
12-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Right! Only if it is defective. I ordered a CD player that I returned because I did not want it when I thought it was a DVD player and when it was all said and done it cost me $55 of the $120 I spent on it. It cost me nearly twice as much to ship it back as it did for them to send it. Then they tagged me for an open box AND A RESTOCKING FEE when their return directions said to open box and put return info in box in case something happens during shipment. I'll never buy a large item from Amazon again because of this hidden cost and deceptive practices of telling you to do something and then penalizing you for doing it. I pointed it out to them and kindly got the finger from them. I basically paid them to abuse me, and I didn't even get a kiss. Unless I know for sure it is what I want I don't buy it on line where I can't take it in and confront customer service.THIS is one major reason I dislike Amazon. BTW, they don't treat their suppliers any better. I'm not a super Walmart fan, but I can take something back and get refund same day. Or exchange. No hassle.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Handloader109
12-05-2017, 08:54 PM
I opened the box to put the new tv on the wall today. Then I saw the screen was trashed at the top. Made the drive again to return it. came home with a 50 inch vizio.A little late, but I always open box before leaving on TV and monitors.......

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

bangerjim
12-06-2017, 12:46 AM
Take the Vizio back!!!!!!! I would not ever own one for free.

NOTHING but Sony! We have 3 of them. One is over 10 years old and still working 110%. On over 12 hours a day every day!

Pay a little more and get the VERY BEST. Several friends have gone thru several (3) Vizio's over the same time period! Nuff said about that sub-quality brand.

Sony knows how to make flat screen TV's that last.......a very LONG time.

AllanD
12-25-2017, 02:15 AM
My search begins and ends w/ Samsung. The one in my bedroom is practically one of the original flat screens. Bought it back when a 40" class was still over $1k. It's still working like new. The one in the living room is newer and still works perfectly. There are other brands. But I find Samsung to have the best picture for the price. The audio on all them is bad so a sound bar is needed at a minimum.

I bought two flat screen's several years ago and bought a Samsung 40" for upstairs and a 42"LG for downstairs,

My shopping began and Ended with the Korean Brands, Because If you buy from anyone else you are getting a Korean TV anyway,
because Korea is where 90% of the LCD screens are made anyway.

No Plasma Screens and you want an LED/LCD screen , The Color and moving picture is the LCD which is Backlit by LEDs

I bought the LG for downstairs in the Den because it was a bit Brighter than the Samsung, Not to mention $160 Cheaper.
But most of that price difference was because I bought the Samsung in May at best buy, I bought the LG at Walmart in August.

And even with Having to return the TV an hour later, because the First one was cracked when we removed it from the box, buying at walmart was a far easier process.

Avoid the fancy Gimmick "curved" screen

But whatever brand you buy, buy your a Blur Ray/DVD player from the same manufacturer

Also "Sound Bars" are External AMPLIFIED speakers that fit under the TV.

Be aware some manufacturers Use old style electrical speaker connections for connections, Example MY Samsung TV the Audio output is a Stereo 3.5nn Stereo connection (like your Walkman) My LG TV that output is a "toslink" fiber optic cable.... This means that I cannot easily connect other audio devices instead of the purpose designed "sound bar" to the LG...

BOTH of my TV's are separated from the Commercial mains and power surges by running both the TV's and the "cable box" on Uninterruptable Power Supplies
Partially to protect them from our frequent power failures (typically only a minutes at Time) which might hurt the led TV, but would really annoy me with the typically
15minute wait while the cable box would take to Reboot.

And Since my Cable box is also a DVR, with the UPS a short power outage does not even disturb an ongoing recording if the central office of the cable company
(which is in town) is unaffected by the outage.

But then again My 42" LG is connected to my Computer as a Second Monitor and the TV talks back to my Computer's High End Video card and thus to the Digital Audio out to my 300W Altec-Lansing Speaker system that is Loud enough to Stun People (ever hear the Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture?)

gsdelong
12-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Anymore the entire tv is made up.of three inexpensive circuit boards and an expensive display panel. Google your model number and problem probably a $75 board. I have fixed.at least a dozen.

shaper
12-26-2017, 11:21 PM
With the help from a friend I have the 50 " tv sitting on the mantel and it has a great picture. The wife is happy so I'm happy. The only thing I don't like is we have to use two remotes to operate the thing, one for the tv and one for the satellite control box. I don't do wires or electronics so I guess we will have to live with it.

edler7
12-26-2017, 11:32 PM
I don't like is we have to use two remotes to operate the thing, one for the tv and one for the satellite control box.

Your satellite remote should be able to do both. Our Directv remote does. The tech programed it when he installed the system.

Wayne Smith
12-27-2017, 04:36 PM
My FIOS remote controls both the box and the TV (Vizio) and it was easy to program with the instructions included.

MyFlatline
12-27-2017, 06:05 PM
TV's ?, Satellite ? , cable? what is this talk? Satellite has been off over a year, TV has been on the blink for almost that long. What is it that you all find interesting to watch? I can't find anything worth wasting my time on..

That being said, the wife is going to preform surgery on the 50 next week . She's good, has fixed the deep freeze, clothes washer, ice maker, I might start hiring her out...

Happy New year all..

rl69
12-27-2017, 07:16 PM
. I might start hiring her out...

Happy New year all..

That's illegal in most states :shock:

6bg6ga
12-27-2017, 07:35 PM
First of all no guy doing cable work for a living knows too much about anything and certainly isn't a judge on TV performance or which brand to purchase. The cheaper brands like the one mentioned generally will work fine but suffer when put up against on of the major brands when it comes to resolution and clarity. There is no best TV period. I've fixed them all. LED's will last a lot longer if one doesn't crank up the brightness and contrast. Cranking the thing up is what causes the LED's to burn out and the screen to go blank.

You got audio and no video? First thing is lower the light in the room and turn on your flashlight and shine it at the screen with the TV on naturally. If you can see images then your back light is out and in the case of LED's one or more of them is usually open more often than the power supply for them having a problem.

MyFlatline
12-27-2017, 09:42 PM
That's illegal in most states :shock:

I guess that didn't come out just right :)