PDA

View Full Version : .357 Desert Eagle

etiwandablues
12-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I just bought a “lightweight” DE in .357 and I’m interested in loading cast boolits for it. Anyone have any experience loading for a .357 DE?

Mag Research warns against cast loads and there are plenty of reports of plugged gas systems, but there are also folks out there who claim to successfully use cast loads for .44 & 50AE DE’s. The .357 DE is reported to be very finicky about cycling anything but hot, heavy loads and I’m wondering if I’ll be able to come up with a cast load that will cycle the action but not plug the gas system. I’ve cast Lee & Lyman boolits for my Python for many, many yrs, but got tired of shooting them and quit for several yrs. I missed the coated boolit trend but after researching on this site I’m excited to give it a try. I plan to run thru ~200 rnds of 180grXTP’s to break in the DE and then try some cast loads. I thought I would start with a Lyman 158grRN boolit, maybe start at 10-12BHN, coat with Hi-Tek, and work up to a max load in my Python. If I can find a good hot load that doesn’t smoke or lead the Python, then I’ll give it a try in the DE. I wish I had 180gr .357 mold but I don’t. I don’t want to end up with a plugged gas system so I’ll go slow with frequent inspection and cleaning.

Any related experiences or comments would be appreciated. I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching lots of things on this site and I’m still amazed at the depth of info that can be found.

skeettx
12-03-2017, 06:10 PM
500 jacketed bullets are much cheaper than a complete rebuild of the DE
Listen to the manufacturer, do NOT ask me how I know
Mike

Moonie
12-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Powder coated might be ok but I would not use cast and lubed boolits as I've heard horror stories of the gas systems full of lead on these pistols.

plainsman456
12-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Can't say about this pistol but in a Coonan 357 pistol i use IMR-4227 with a cast bullet of about 160 grain.

Even with 38's it does need a lot of gas to cycle the pistol.

ShooterAZ
12-03-2017, 10:18 PM
I had one and never shot cast in it for the reasons already pointed out. Even with powder coat, I personally wouldn't shoot cast in mine if I still had it, even with PC. It's not worth the risk IMHO, because you just can't get to the areas that will get plugged up with lead if your PC fails. That pistol does require full power loads that will surely test your coatings. Autoloaders can be rough on boolits during the cycling process as well.

sawinredneck
12-03-2017, 11:01 PM
I’m so sorry, please forgive me as I’m in rare form tonight. I’m thinking of “light weight” and and “Desert Eagle” and the oxymoron that creates!
Forgive me as I go chuckle over that for a while!

kayala
12-03-2017, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't risk plugging gas system in a 1k+ gun. Powder coated or copper plated might work but I'd stay away from "plain" lead.

rockrat
12-03-2017, 11:11 PM
I shot numerous cast thru my 44 DE till I found out about the warning. Jacketed only now.

You MIGHT be able to shoot maybe a couple of mags of cast thru it , then go to jacketed to clean out the gas port, but why chance it.

second chance
12-04-2017, 09:32 AM
NO! The .357Mag Desert Eagle I had would shave copper off the jacket, and pepper my brow area above my shooting glasses! After actually pulling bloody fingers away from my brow I decided to send it back to magnum research, with an explanation of what it was doing. They checked it out as fine as frogs hair, and returned it "untouched", with the recommendation to not only shoot jacketed bullets, but a certain brand of jacketed bullet. I tried that, don't even remember the brand now, but it still peppered my brow and forehead. Needless to say, it's hard to hit a target when your bodies reflex action is to dodge shrapnel. The barrel has a unique gas system that is absolutely not conducive to shooting lead. Now I also had a .44 Mag Desert Eagle, had it before I bought the .357, and it never gave any problem at all, none, but i never dreamed of shooting lead in it either.

etiwandablues
12-04-2017, 11:43 AM
I’m so sorry, please forgive me as I’m in rare form tonight. I’m thinking of “light weight” and and “Desert Eagle” and the oxymoron that creates!
Forgive me as I go chuckle over that for a while!

"Lightweight" by DE standards only. This is a L5 model, aluminum frame & 5in barrel, weighs 49 oz, same as my 6 in Python and almost 2 lbs less than the std DE 357.

etiwandablues
12-04-2017, 11:49 AM
I was hoping to hear from someone who had the secret sauce on PC boolits and 357DE's. Maybe there's no such thing. Thanks for the responses.

Bloodman14
12-04-2017, 11:53 AM
'Aluminum frame'? Man, that's just asking for trouble, I would think. Not a DE aficionado, but, could you not tune the gas system to PC or lubed lead? Different springs, port adjustment (if any), things of that nature? I can't imagine shooting full-house loads on an aluminum frame!

gwpercle
12-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Can't say about this pistol but in a Coonan 357 pistol i use IMR-4227 with a cast bullet of about 160 grain.

Even with 38's it does need a lot of gas to cycle the pistol.

Coonan 357 is a recoil operated system like the 1911, no gas system . Desert Eagle has gas system....might be wise to follow manufacturers advice.
Gary

dondiego
12-04-2017, 04:04 PM
I am glad that I read this! I was considering a DE in .357 mag. Not now!

skeettx
12-04-2017, 04:08 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723474901

etiwandablues
12-04-2017, 04:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhxz-OmwM4g

FWIW