PDA

View Full Version : Off center sizing with 30 caliber cast bullets

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-30-2017, 06:02 PM
OK, a problem here that I've not had to any negative extent with larger bullets but ---------------

When sizing my 30 cal 175gr bullets it seems many are off center when going through the sizer/luber.

Any solutions out there?

I've thought of possibly going to a push through style die and then lube in the sizer/luber with a bit larger die.

At the recommendation of my 465gr - 45/70 mold maker I use a .460 push through die and a .461 sizer/luber die.

THIS IS NOT due to an off center issue, but rather an issue of not disturbing the surface hardness of the bullets. Bruce recommended doing the push through sizing as soon as possible after casting then I can go back at a later date to lube and seat the gas checks if I didn't seat them in the first step.

Anyway, just wonder if this would be a possible solution.

These are gas checked bullets so I'd think that would help keep the bullet in line on the bottom and I think my top punch is an OK fit so ----------------------?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

CJR
12-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Crusty,

I went though this with some hi-vel 30 calibre PPCB and have a couple of questions:

1. Diameters of as-cast CB at mould part-line and 90 degrees from mould part-line? Oval CB?
2. AC or WQ?
3. Single cavity or multi cavity mould? If multi-cavity, does the sprue plate have a trough?
4. Mould sprue hole diameters?
5. Type sizing die; i.e. taper entry or old style shoulder cutting entry?
6. Type of flux? Marvelux , sawdust, or what?
7. One step sizing or muti-step sizing? What increment of sizing for one step or multi-step, i.e. 0.002"D, 0.003"D, etc.?

Best regards,

CJR

MT Chambers
12-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Get you a Star sizer and you can size nose first and lube at the same time.

wmitty
12-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Get a push thru sizer and lube with BLL

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys, but all the abbreviations have me LOST! Sorry.

I always try to first spell it out and then abbreviations are OK at that point.

For example I like to use Wide Flat Nose cast bullets as the WFN has proven to be highly effective in my .44 mag and 45/70.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

William Yanda
12-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Crusty,

I went though this with some hi-vel 30 calibre PPCB and have a couple of questions:

1. Diameters of as-cast CB at mould part-line and 90 degrees from mould part-line? Oval CB?
2. AC or WQ?
3. Single cavity or multi cavity mould? If multi-cavity, does the sprue plate have a trough?
4. Mould sprue hole diameters?
5. Type sizing die; i.e. taper entry or old style shoulder cutting entry?
6. Type of flux? Marvelux , sawdust, or what?
7. One step sizing or muti-step sizing? What increment of sizing for one step or multi-step, i.e. 0.002"D, 0.003"D, etc.?

Best regards,

CJR

May I help? This is what I take away:
PPCB-paper patched cast boolet
CB-see above
AC-air cooled
WQ-water quenched
BLL-Ben's Liquid Lube

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Lubesizer misalignment is a common problem, especially with the older Lyman 450 with old style linkage, but is also a problem in the RCBS units as well, as documented on Accurate Molds website.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php

The problem is more obvious with long skinny rifle boolits, and may not be noticed with most pistol boolits.

There are some things that you can do to correct a misalignment, depending on how far it's out of alignment. This is a pretty good thread about this topic.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171726-Off-center-sizing-of-Lyman-4500

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks again guys!

CDOC