PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman Mag 25 Just Died...

Cleatus
11-23-2017, 08:26 AM
I purchased a Lyman Mag 25 which arrived Tuesday and I casted fine with it on Tuesday. Today was my 2nd time using it, and just got a pot full of melted lead and started getting my molds up to temp and then the lights on the PID flicked and the pot shut off. I'm hoping there is just a fuse or something that needs to be replaced, but I need to wait for it to cool down before I open it up.

Anyone else have a problem like this before?

Moonie
11-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Nope, I've had mine for about a year, no issues with it at all. Hopefully it is something simple.

OS OK
11-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Check the outlet you had it plugged into first.

Cleatus
11-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Tried different outlets that I know are working and still no dice. I took the side panel off to take a look at the circuit board and don't see any obvious signs of anything burnt out...looks fine. Called Lyman, but of course they are closed until Monday due to holiday. Not sure how I'm going to get the 20 lb of lead out if I need to ship it back for repairs.

Buzz64
11-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Don't have a 'for sure' solution but I've had mine for 3 years. On warm-up it occasionally shows 'error' and stops heating. I just unplug it for a minute or so and it 'resets' and works fine.

HATCH
11-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Not sure how I'm going to get the 20 lb of lead out if I need to ship it back for repairs.
Post a picture of the inside and I can tell you how to bypass the PID to get the lead hot enough to empty it.

OS OK
11-23-2017, 11:23 AM
You is the Man HATCH!

Cleatus
11-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Cleatus
11-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Walter Laich
11-23-2017, 11:39 AM
I put mine upside down at an angle over a cookie sheet and used a propane torch. took some time to start melting but once it started when pretty quickly. had to get the big mass up to temp first

didn't even use an entire bottle to do that--much cheaper than shipping the pot full of lead

HATCH
11-23-2017, 06:59 PM
It looks like that's a fuse holder on the right side. The black rectangle.
Did you check the fuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HATCH
11-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Can you take a picture facing the front where the digital display is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenT7021
11-23-2017, 11:09 PM
One of the capacitors doesn't seem to seated like the other three.

Cleatus
11-24-2017, 04:16 PM
There is a fuse in there, but it wasn't blown. I bought a replacement and tried swapping it out, but still no dice. Decided to pick up a propane torch at lowes, hung the furnace from my garage wall control and melt it out via the torch. Took a while, but like Walter said, it took less than a tank. At least now if I have to send it back after talking to Lyman on Monday, it won't be so bad.

208377 208378

Cleatus
12-07-2017, 01:18 AM
My Lyman Mag 25 arrived on a Tuesday...died on Thursday (Thanksgiving morning), and due to holiday weekend didn't get sent back until Monday. UPS confirmed Lyman received on Wednesday...and no word from them on when it will be sent back. Since I purchased it, Lyman as technically been is been in physical possession of it longer than I have....Yesterday I ordered a lee 4 20 pot as my "back up" from Natchez because I have no clue when the furance I paid 4 times the price for will return and function. I admit, I'm new this casting world..but as of right now, I have to say that Lyman as a brand is not earning any points here. Purchased Lyman's 50th addition of their reloading handbook (because whenever anyone asks for load data, the 1st response is "go get lymans reloading handbook" ), which was a complete waste...granted maybe if I was reloading rifle rounds, it might have some value...but for the 380, 9mm that I plan to reload, it had none. They don't have the bullets I have or plan to cast and didn't even list CFE Pistol under the list of hodgdons powders. I know the company has been around longer then I've been alive, but ****....I should have known when I couldn't find an iBook or ebook version of it to stay away.

Done with my anti Lyman rant until my Lyman Mag 25 returns to it's right owner and PROVES OVER TIME it can cast boolits...else it ends up a plinking target at the range...

OS OK
12-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Looks like you are long on 'angry' and short on 'patience'...try to be a bit more optimistic and you'll get a more 'harmonious outcome'!

:bigsmyl2:

Besides...now you have a good ole Lee 'drip-O-matic' to back up that fancy pot!

Cleatus
12-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Your right OS OK...just frustrated with having a new product die so soon after purchase. I do like my Lyman case prep multi tool, and my backup 'drip-o-matic' arrives tomorrow :) Looking forward to casting some over the weekend.

OS OK
12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Back when I got my drip-O', if I had been smart, I would have used some valve lapping goo to make sure that valve seated just right!

lightman
12-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear about your new pot. I was hoping that Hatch could spot something in your pictures that would be simple to fix. Hoping Lyman will take care of you.

Smoke4320
12-08-2017, 07:32 AM
The test will be how long they take to repair/ return, was it repaired correctly and does it last after that

OS OK
12-08-2017, 10:39 AM
The test will be how long they take to repair/ return, was it repaired correctly and does it last after that

Well, we could start laying bets as to how long it'll take before before he has it back in his shop. I'll bet 43 days.

Smoke4320
12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
for his sake I truly hope its much quicker than that

farmerjim
12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Mine was only 2 weeks. They sent me a new one.

OS OK
12-08-2017, 11:34 AM
for his sake I truly hope its much quicker than that

Yeah me too...the 43 was a number that just occurred to me as I was writing...BUT...he's going to have his trusty 'drip-O-matic' to serve him well in the meantime.
Besides when he takes a break he can sit there and watch the 'drip-O' make interesting sculpture!

dogrunner
12-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Don't just throw rocks at Lee's drippers! I have a Lyman Mag 20 that'll stay with any Lee product.............just the nature of any bottom pourer I guess. Still, for the amount you pay, I can truly appreciate a genuinely well founded 'lack of patience'..............I'd be on the phone with CS right now!

And I JUST noticed that your fixation with #43 hit the winner..............my 43rd post!!

OS OK
12-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Hey there dog...careful what you claim! Like I said, it was just a number that occurred to me...you know, something I just pulled out of my butt!

:bigsmyl2:

keyhole
12-08-2017, 03:04 PM
After reading this, I am glad I have my RCBS ProMelt bought in the 70's. It has never failed or given me any problems. It was not cheap but became a lifetime investment. The manual controller of the ProMelt gives me confidence for reliability, especially after seeing inside the Lyman controller posted by the OP.

zomby woof
12-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Mines been working fine for two years

Cleatus
12-08-2017, 10:37 PM
For anyone interested in the pool....Lyman took possession on 11/28 per UPS. Per the paperwork for the RTA "which I had to pay for shipping", they stated they would repair or replace in 30 days. Clock is ticking...Sure wish Dillon made a furnace :)

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2017, 08:06 AM
rcbs does and my two have been bullet proof and if they ever do fail rcbs has customer service that if anything beats dillions. that said I had two mag25s (old ones) that I lost in a fire. One burned out a heating coil and lyman sent a replacement and the other one was trouble free.
For anyone interested in the pool....Lyman took possession on 11/28 per UPS. Per the paperwork for the RTA "which I had to pay for shipping", they stated they would repair or replace in 30 days. Clock is ticking...Sure wish Dillon made a furnace :)

oldhenry
12-11-2017, 11:50 PM
After reading this, I am glad I have my RCBS ProMelt bought in the 70's. It has never failed or given me any problems. It was not cheap but became a lifetime investment. The manual controller of the ProMelt gives me confidence for reliability, especially after seeing inside the Lyman controller posted by the OP.

Same here, except I bought my ProMelt in the '80s.

Henry

Cleatus
12-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Lyman is continuing to lose favor in my eyes. Contacted them about my RMA and I get an email back saying they haven't received it yet. Just sent them the tracking information with proof of delivery that they received it on 11/29. Waiting for a response...

keyhole
12-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Lyman is continuing to lose favor in my eyes. Contacted them about my RMA and I get an email back saying they haven't received it yet. Just sent them the tracking information with proof of delivery that they received it on 11/29. Waiting for a response...

In a few more days they will be using the "We're closed for the Holidays" excuse. If I understand your earlier comment, it looks like you had to pay for the return shipping. That had to be a fairly significant outlay.

the best of luck to you

Cleatus
12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
You are correct, they said they do not send return labels..so I spent $32.05 to have it shipped UPS ground which took 2 days to get them...and after 20 days they are telling me they don't have it. So I guess my odds of getting it either repaired or replaced and delivered to the customer within 30 days like they stated, just went to hell.

Cleatus
12-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Lyman got back to me and they apologized for inadvertently misplacing mine at their facility and are shipping me out a new replacement.

I ordered a NOE mould guide which arrived the other day, so I'll be good to go as soon as it arrives :)

2011redrider
12-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Glad they are finally sending a new one. Unfortunately, this seems the norm for Lyman customer service. Hope your new pot works out, but, this is the reason I will wait for the new RCBS pots to get released.

keyhole
12-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Lyman getting back to you is encouraging. Hopefully the new one works without issues.

Thin Man
12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
About 10-11 years ago the old (as in ancient) Lyman furnace I had been using for the previous 25+ years finally bit the dust. I replaced it with a Lyman Mag 20 as I liked their design and the capacity of the pot. All went well for about 2 months until something inside the electric controls went crazy. The pot would heat for a while, then not, and there was the occasional "pop" or "fizzz" sound from the unit. I called Lyman and they asked to have a look at it. I shipped it to them at my cost and in about 3 weeks it came back home. They had found and corrected the problem, returned shipped to me, all this for no cost (other than my shipping). Not a problem with the pot since then, except for keeping it filled with lead. About a year ago I got fortunate and found a still new-in-the-box Lyman Mag 20 furnace in an estate sale and brought it home. Who knows... The way my current furnace is holding up, the new one in the box may even make it to my estate sale! Don't lose faith in the Lyman product. I haven't.

Mr_Sheesh
12-20-2017, 10:25 AM
I too have had good luck with my 70's or 80's RCBS ProMelt; Lyman has been pretty good in the past, I'm considering getting a Mag 20 for casting pure lead as I'm getting into ML's more lately. That should be a good thing :) Parts in electronics do break, for various reasons; It does sound like they had a "Bobble" but are fixing the problem reasonably fast for you - Good! :)

Smoke4320
12-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Glad they are replacing your furnace with a new one .. Now lets see if this one holds up ..
sitting on the fence waiting to see if the new RCBS furnaces with PID will hold up (if they ever start shipping)
Love my old RCBS Pro Melt .. just have to compare reliability between the new Lyman and new RCBS

dverna
12-20-2017, 11:58 AM
I have an old Lyman furnace that is over 40 years old and last year purchased a Master Caster. Someone had a sale on the Lee 20 lb bottom pour and I bought one. JIC. I have never used the Lee but it is there in case I need it. But I cannot cast for long anymore so that is why I got the Master Caster. I have been thinking about using the Lee as a pre-melter for the MC. Cleatus, you might want to think about that as well. A pre-melter will give more consistency to temperature and pressure out of the spout.

BTW, I applaud your investment in the Lyman. It is unfortunate that it died so quickly but once it is working, you will enjoy using a quality unit for many years.

Soundguy
12-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Glad they are replacing your furnace with a new one .. Now lets see if this one holds up ..
sitting on the fence waiting to see if the new RCBS furnaces with PID will hold up (if they ever start shipping)
Love my old RCBS Pro Melt .. just have to compare reliability between the new Lyman and new RCBS

they should have just sent him a new controller board... that and a heating element is about it. heating element is easy to test..

That said, I've been using my lee drip-o-matic for a while now, and aside from a drip or too.. it makes great boolits.

brass410
12-20-2017, 12:40 PM
I cant wait anymore for the new RCBS, so I found a quantity of bnib old style pro pours and bought one, 300 bucks might go back and buy a 2nd one just for giggles.

KenT7021
12-20-2017, 12:43 PM
The RCBS furnace is probably being made in China.I would expect the same quality.I've run a lot of bullet alloy thru my Mag25 with no problems.Like any product from China it could die at any time.The only product I got from Lyman recently that didn't work was a digital thermometer.Lyman shipped me a new one as soon as I called them.I ordered a replacement thermocouple from Amazon (Chinese of course) and the bad thermometer now works as well.

brass410
12-20-2017, 12:59 PM
I agree with you on the made in china thing,mostly just trash products but the old pro pours are made USA so the quality is there still I was lucky to find these new old stocks they had 6 of em I like the lyman to but no dealers localy. But might find one when I'm out and about love to try one

woodbutcher
12-22-2017, 01:28 AM
[smilie=s: One thing that I`v found out over the years.Electrical or electronic products will fail in the first 10 or so hours of use,OR they will chug along for decades trouble free.Case in point.A friend has one of the old refridgerators that has the compressor on the top,It was bought new by his Grand Parents.Has it in his garage to keep sodas and water and tea cold.It`s a late 20`s build.Glad Lyman took care of the problem.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Mr_Sheesh
12-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Also, a point on Chinese stuff. Some GOOD things are made in China nowadays; And lots of cheap stuff. It depends on the manufacturer insisting on good results to get them. iPhones for example, are made in China and are pretty well made. Costs a bit more to make better stuff.

In past there have been some oddities in electronics, like the electrolytic capacitor's electrolyte formula that was stolen through industrial espionage; Only, the Mfg. somehow knew this was coming, or was just cagey as heck, and set up a trap? So the stolen formula was one that would work for a time, then fail. Remember the plague of Electrolytics on motherboards that would swell up? That formula let the water in the electrolyte dry up after a while and it bit the heck out of the thieves' co.'s reputation... Deservedly so. hurt a lot of other folks too, tho.

I hope to never meet one of those bad capacitors again, had to replace caps on some motherboards, it's a pain...

murf205
12-23-2017, 02:59 AM
I agree with you on the made in china thing,mostly just trash products but the old pro pours are made USA so the quality is there still I was lucky to find these new old stocks they had 6 of em I like the lyman to but no dealers localy. But might find one when I'm out and about love to try one

You made the best choice. The old RCBS Pro's are the best of the bottom pours, bar none--IMHO. Mine just keeps on melting boolits. To find one bnib is a great score.

Trapaddict
01-06-2018, 11:08 AM

This type of story is soooo true anymore. The old saying "They don't make them like they used to" holds true here. Cheap, Quick and Quality. You only get to pick two. I like using the comparison of appliances. Large ones. Washers, Ranges and refrigerators. People that have older ones with click dials and no LCD displays and membrane switches rarely have a problem with them. Not so with all of the space shuttle type models out there now. Its a lead pot. Keep it simple. Pot, casting thermometer and a ladle. You will have far fewer headaches in the long run.

Jeff

Soundguy
01-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Very much agreed!

quasi
01-28-2018, 02:13 AM
where is Lyman's PID pot made?

gwpercle
01-28-2018, 11:11 AM
With as much bad mouthing as Lee electric melters get I would like to say I purchased my first Precision melter in 1972 (I was messing up the new wife's stove top). Discovered size does matter ( wife keeps saying that too) That led to the Lee Production Pot 10 lbs. is better and my years of bottom pouring, I discovered I like pressure casting with a ladle best and next came the 20 lb. Magnum Melter...whoa Momma...what a pot...bigger is better.

My small 1972 pot still works, I use it for pure lead, the production pot , 15 years old went to a fellow member who lost his in a fire , needed it and is still using it. And the Magnum Melter is now a good 5 years old and due to some new NOE 3 and 4 cavity moulds has seen lots of long use....20 lb. capacity rocks.
All three of these pots , have never ever not worked, plug them in and they go to work like a proper melter should. No LCD displays, no PID , no LMN or OPQ or RST....just a low tech knob.
Bad mouth them all you want...I would use the Lee pot and keep that pricey Lyman for the back up.
Checking Amazon prices:

Lyman Mag25 Digital Furnace ....$291.77
Lee Magnum Melter ..................$ 64.17

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

After a few experiences with electronic car replacement parts from China , Taiwan and Mexico....I'm going to avoid any electronics if I can. Every part was junk....Junk that didn't work out of the box or only lasted days. Maybe not having any cheap foreign electronic parts is an advantage.
Rant over...Gary

jmort
01-28-2018, 11:45 AM
where is Lyman's PID pot made?

China, China, and China

Beagle333
01-28-2018, 12:15 PM
I hope mine works. I ordered one when they first were offered, and then it took about a year or so for it to actually be stocked and delivered, and so I forgot that I even wanted one, so it's still sitting in the unopened box in the loading room until a need arises for it.

Soundguy
01-29-2018, 11:32 AM
With as much bad mouthing as Lee electric melters get I would like to say I purchased my first Precision melter in 1972 (I was messing up the new wife's stove top). Discovered size does matter ( wife keeps saying that too) That led to the Lee Production Pot 10 lbs. is better and my years of bottom pouring, I discovered I like pressure casting with a ladle best and next came the 20 lb. Magnum Melter...whoa Momma...what a pot...bigger is better.

My small 1972 pot still works, I use it for pure lead, the production pot , 15 years old went to a fellow member who lost his in a fire , needed it and is still using it. And the Magnum Melter is now a good 5 years old and due to some new NOE 3 and 4 cavity moulds has seen lots of long use....20 lb. capacity rocks.
All three of these pots , have never ever not worked, plug them in and they go to work like a proper melter should. No LCD displays, no PID , no LMN or OPQ or RST....just a low tech knob.
Bad mouth them all you want...I would use the Lee pot and keep that pricey Lyman for the back up.
Checking Amazon prices:

Lyman Mag25 Digital Furnace ....$291.77
Lee Magnum Melter ..................$ 64.17

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

After a few experiences with electronic car replacement parts from China , Taiwan and Mexico....I'm going to avoid any electronics if I can. Every part was junk....Junk that didn't work out of the box or only lasted days. Maybe not having any cheap foreign electronic parts is an advantage.
Rant over...Gary

Agreed about avoiding all the fancy electronics. I just use a dial thermometer.

KenT7021
02-04-2018, 06:42 PM
I have and like the Mag 25.Mine works fine and I've done a lot of casting using it.I also have a Lee 4-20 bottom pour and a Lee 10 lb bottom pour.The 4-20 works fine also.I'm not sure while I replaced the 10 lb bottom pour?I think it still works.While I like the Mag 25 I would not hesitate to recommend the Lee melting pots.I don't much care for their molds but the Lee melting pots are excellent.

Walks
02-09-2018, 01:10 AM
RCBS is not what it once was.
My old late 1970's Pro-Melt started acting erratically, the TEMP would rise and fall just sitting there waiting to cast while I prepped molds. Start casting and TEMP would still bounce, went up to 900degrees, I turned the pot down to 650 on the dial and 5 minutes later the spout froze up. I know RCBS has discontinued them And replaced them with a chinese made pot. So I figured to get it back to them and get it fixed before they ran out of parts or just stopped servicing them. I called and they said to send it on in. $28.65 later it was on it's way. Two days later USPS tracking said they received it. A week later I hadn't heard anything, so I called. A nice young lady said she'd check. Came back a few minutes later and said it had just gone down to shipping, I asked how much ? She answered no charge. BOY HOWDY I was happy. Went right over to the N.O.E. website and ordered a new mold guide.

A week later I called back to get a tracking number. The lady didn't know what I was talking about. My pot wasn't in the system. I repeated my conversation from the previous week, she said she would call back. Called next day. Found my pot, needed a Credit Card number to authorize work on it. It would be $100.00 plus return shipping.
And they would get to it sometime next week. That was Tuesday.

Talked to them TWICE about sending it back, NO ONE ever said there would be a cost or how much it would be. Asking for a Credit Card number without a final total, literally a blank check, is ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA, RCBS and I are both in CA.

Only complaint I ever had about RCBS is that they don't make 4 cavity molds.

So that POT is going to cost me $160.00 with shipping. I could have spent another $100.00 and got a new LYMAN with a PID. In 45yrs + of dealing with RCBS on my own this is the first time I've ever been DISAPPOINTED. I grew up using a A2 press and RCBS dies in my DAD'S garage. First die set I bought was RCBS. Still using the same RockChucker 43yrs.

GEEZ

keyhole
02-09-2018, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=In 45yrs + of dealing with RCBS on my own this is the first time I've ever been DISAPPOINTED. [/QUOTE]
----------
Hopefully, their new customer service motto isn't "We're not happy unless you're not happy."

Mal Paso
02-09-2018, 12:23 PM
RCBS is not what it once was.
My old late 1970's Pro-Melt started acting erratically, the TEMP would rise and fall just sitting there waiting to cast while I prepped molds. Start casting and TEMP would still bounce, went up to 900degrees, I turned the pot down to 650 on the dial and 5 minutes later the spout froze up. I know RCBS has discontinued them And replaced them with a chinese made pot. So I figured to get it back to them and get it fixed before they ran out of parts or just stopped servicing them. I called and they said to send it on in. $28.65 later it was on it's way. Two days later USPS tracking said they received it. A week later I hadn't heard anything, so I called. A nice young lady said she'd check. Came back a few minutes later and said it had just gone down to shipping, I asked how much ? She answered no charge. BOY HOWDY I was happy. Went right over to the N.O.E. website and ordered a new mold guide.

A week later I called back to get a tracking number. The lady didn't know what I was talking about. My pot wasn't in the system. I repeated my conversation from the previous week, she said she would call back. Called next day. Found my pot, needed a Credit Card number to authorize work on it. It would be $100.00 plus return shipping.
And they would get to it sometime next week. That was Tuesday.

Talked to them TWICE about sending it back, NO ONE ever said there would be a cost or how much it would be. Asking for a Credit Card number without a final total, literally a blank check, is ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA, RCBS and I are both in CA.

Only complaint I ever had about RCBS is that they don't make 4 cavity molds.

So that POT is going to cost me $160.00 with shipping. I could have spent another $100.00 and got a new LYMAN with a PID. In 45yrs + of dealing with RCBS on my own this is the first time I've ever been DISAPPOINTED. I grew up using a A2 press and RCBS dies in my DAD'S garage. First die set I bought was RCBS. Still using the same RockChucker 43yrs.

GEEZ

Just looking at the thermostat in my Pro Melt I would guess it's on the high side of $100. I think the forever guarantee was nice but unrealistic. RCBS has to be profitable in order to continue. I got a few free parts from RCBS and will remember those days with fondness. LOL

Your $160 is well spent. I just spent $148 for one with a short and was happy to do so. You have an freshly rebuilt classic now and won't be posting "New RCBS Pro Melt 2 just Died". LOL

HangFireW8
02-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Agreed about avoiding all the fancy electronics. I just use a dial thermometer.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=169543&d=1465014164
Only one is correct... and it's not any of the dial thermometers.

Soundguy
02-09-2018, 06:55 PM
I can't see the melt and the probes , but if the pot is low, and not enough probe in the melt, , they wont be accurate, perhaps that's why the picture was staged this way?

HangFireW8
02-09-2018, 09:17 PM
The pot is rather deep, it holds 25 pounds. But that doesn't matter, the thermometers never matched each other in any of my pots, at any depth, nor did they ever match the new Lyman pot. I went round and round with Lyman on this for months, sent the pot back for calibration, finally got dial thermometer #3 (in pic) which also didn't match, but was at least closer to the PID readout.

The whole story can be found in a thread here somewhere.

Soundguy
02-09-2018, 09:23 PM
I have a couple thermometers, contact ( thermocouple probe styles ) and non contact.

I'm lucky that my latest rcbs dial thermometer falls right in line with the contact probe styles, and for the non contact.. That one takes good 'procedure' to get a semi precise and consistent reading, but with practice, its good. Helpfull when troubleshooting hot parts, especially fuel mixtures vs manifold temps. ( lean=hot ), etc.

tankgunner59
02-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Well I don't know what you're talking about, OS OK, I have a Lee Production Pot 4 and I have never had any problems with it. It pours consistently and doesn't drip or create sculptures. As the man said no runs, no drips, no errors. :bigsmyl2: