PDA

View Full Version : VA Study Shows Parasite From Vietnam May Be Killing Vets

JBinMN
11-22-2017, 10:28 PM
I am not sure this is the correct place for this topic, but I thought it important enough to get the word out to our Viet Nam Vets who might need to be made aware of this article & the info it contains... If it is in the wrong place in the CB forum, please move it to where it would belong. I just could not figure out where it would be best placedt, so I put it here in this section of the CB forum.

Here is the article link for those who should know & for those who may know someone who should know. It is copyrighted material, as per the notice at the end of the article, so I cannot legally bring the content of the article here, but only provide the link:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/11/21/parasite-killing-veterans/

G'Luck! & I hope that the word gets passed for folks to get help if they need it...

Rufus Krile
11-23-2017, 01:45 AM
Probably why they had us rolling around in Agent Orange...

Col4570
11-23-2017, 03:26 AM
Sushi is off the menu for me,in fact it has never been on.Uncooked food has always carried a risk.Hope the Vets see this article and go for check ups.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Sushi is off the menu for me,in fact it has never been on.Uncooked food has always carried a risk.Hope the Vets see this article and go for check ups.

Nor me either. I believe I would trust the Japanese if I did want it, but not the sort who follow culinary fashion in the west. If someone has to make a claim of the kind described here, it would be a good time to have no record of eating sushi etc. in civilian life.

MUSTANG
11-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Wonder if it applies to other Asian Countries where our Service members have been assigned (Korea, Thailand, Philippines, etc.. Come to mind). Also wonder about Central and South America (Panama Canal Zone, Columbia, Venezuela, etc..). And who knows what these members currently assigned in various countries in Africa will encounter.

JBinMN
11-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Wonder if it applies to other Asian Countries where our Service members have been assigned (Korea, Thailand, Philippines, etc.. Come to mind). Also wonder about Central and South America (Panama Canal Zone, Columbia, Venezuela, etc..). And who knows what these members currently assigned in various countries in Africa will encounter.

That is a good question...

I don't know the answer, but that is something for those who may have been in those AOs might want to have it checked out. I know I would.

BTW, similar situation in a way...When I was stationed at MCAS(H) New River, NC ( Next to Camp Gieger) about 33 -35+/- years ago, my missus, toddler oldest son & I lived in on base housing at Tarawa Terrace/Camp Lejeune for a time. The Corps had issued a Health Warning go out a while back about health issues from contaminated water there on /around Camp Lejeune, and I checked into that when I found out about it. We, luckily do not have any of the ( I think 8) health issues that may be caused from exposure, but it was good to know what was going on. Took them about 30+ years to let folks know about it... So, that is one of the reasons I posted this topic. Just to get the word out if I could.)

MUSTANG
11-23-2017, 12:24 PM
That is a good question...

I don't know the answer, but that is something for those who may have been in those AOs might want to have it checked out. I know I would.

BTW, similar situation in a way...When I was stationed at MCAS(H) New River, NC ( Next to Camp Gieger) about 33 -35+/- years ago, my missus, toddler oldest son & I lived in on base housing at Tarawa Terrace/Camp Lejeune for a time. The Corps had issued a Health Warning go out a while back about health issues from contaminated water there on /around Camp Lejeune, and I checked into that when I found out about it. We, luckily do not have any of the ( I think 8) health issues that may be caused from exposure, but it was good to know what was going on. Took them about 30+ years to let folks know about it... So, that is one of the reasons I posted this topic. Just to get the word out if I could.)

Yes Camp Lejuene has multiple contamination sites that have been highly publicized off and on over the last 15 years particularly. The same applies for Cherry Point where the NARF (Naval Air Rework Facility) had established multiple dumps for heavy metals and industrial waste over the years going back to WW-II.

JBinMN
11-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Yes Camp Lejuene has multiple contamination sites that have been highly publicized off and on over the last 15 years particularly. The same applies for Cherry Point where the NARF (Naval Air Rework Facility) had established multiple dumps for heavy metals and industrial waste over the years going back to WW-II.

I did not hear of it until 2-3 years ago. It would have been good to know earlier, but stuff happens...

Like I said though, I wanted to get the word out about this parasite thing as soon as I read it. I have friends who have had to deal with & suffered from Agent Orange complications/effects & this could be an issue for those folks as well.

Riverpigusmc
11-23-2017, 08:11 PM
Did a year in the Philippines, year on Okinawa and 3 months in Korea...waded through a lot of streams and swamps. Hope I don't have any critters like that

JBinMN
11-25-2017, 01:15 PM
A bump for those who may have missed this before...