PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 'Ammunition Maker', information

What Cheer
08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I am trying to find information on the Lyman 'Ammunition Maker' sets. As these sets contained the 310 tool, they interest me. I have some specific questions below, but any other information will be appreciated.

What reloading tools did a complete set contain?

What calibers were available in these sets?

What years were these available from Lyman?

Does anyone actually have one of these sets that they use, or in their collection?

Thanks,

What Cheer

floodgate
08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
What Cheer:

They made a number of such sets for reloading, and others for casting, or - like the Ammunition Maker - for both. Randy Davis at "The 310 Shop" currently has a couple of the "Ammunition Maker" boxed sets in .44 Spl. and .45 ACP listed for sale in New-In-Box condition at $200 ea., which is a reasonable "collector" value, but a bit high for a "using" outfit. He dates them to 1958, which jibes with my observations from the older Ideal Handbooks and other Lyman literature. They show up on that unmentionable auction site from time to time, too, but often not complete.

Floodgate

What Cheer
08-17-2008, 01:29 AM
floodgate,

I am trying to gather more information on these sets, contents, calibers, production period. Can you suggest sources?

Thanks,

What Cheer

floodgate
08-17-2008, 12:41 PM
What Cheer:

You could look for Ideal Handbooks in the #39 (1953) - #43 (1964) range and see what you can find; but I've never seen them listed by caliber. I just cheked my #41 (1957); it has a fold out chart of the individual tools and their dies and other parts with the caliber codes, and a color section at the back shows the "Economy" (310 tool and No. 55 powder measure, with #39 Handbook), "Quick-Load" (Tru-Line Jr. - old type with straight links - and No. 55), and "Bullet Casting" (Mould, dipper, stovetop pot, No. 45 lube-sizer, lube stick and dies) but does not show the "Ammunition Maker" set. My reprint copy of HB No. 39 (from <www.cornellpubs.com> shows the "Ecobnomy" and Quick-Load" sets, but again, neither the "Ammunition Maker" nor any caliber lists for any of these. Lyman dodn't put out really useful catalogs (other than the Handbooks) until the mid-60s, but which time I doubt they were still offering these sets.

I suggest you contact Randy Davis at <The310Shop@aol.com> and ask him what he knows about these sets. I've got company this weekend,a nd can't take the time to dig any deeper just now.

Floodgate

floodgate
08-17-2008, 02:23 PM
What Cheer:

Had a few minutes to myself; found the first listing for the "Ammunition Maker" set in Lyman's Annual Catalog #41 (1959, among only a couple of pages of reloading tools) - along with the "Quick-Load" and "Bullet Casting" sets, so I assume the "Ammunition Maker" superseded the older "Economy" set, adding mould and ladle, but omitting the No. 55 powder measure. No price list in my copy of this issue, but it is listed as available in 16 calibers: .222 Rem., .244 Rem., .243 Win., .257 Robt., .270 Win., .308 Win., .300 Sav., .303 Brit., .30-30, .30-'06, .38 Spec., .357 Mag., .44 Spec., .44 Mag., .45 Auto, and .45 Colt.

A 1/1/53 price list shows the earlier sets at: "Economy": $29.50; "Quick Load": $39.50; "Bullet Casting Set": $28.50

PM me with your address and I'll mail extracts from this and a few other issues.

Doug Elliott/"floodgate"

beagle
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I started loading with one in 1958 in .30/06. I still have the mould handles which were stamped instead of cast and milled. The 310 handles in those were out of aluminum instead of steel. I think that's about when the 310 handles changed over. Mine came with a #311291 mould and it would load ammunition...at least enough to get me hooked into the better stuff in the reloading game.

Think mine cost me $24.95 which was a lot of $$$$ back in those days. Well as I recall, the set, a set of scales (Redding),a thousand GCs, a thousand primers and a can of Unique ran slightly over $50. Try getting that today and see what it costs.

I had the box until several years ago and finally let someone have it that was colling such things.

Great little started sets./beagle

What Cheer
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Beagle,

Thanks for you responce to my questions regarding the 'Ammunition Maker'.

I believe the seating stem and the bullet plunger for the bullet sizing die were for the mould supplied, and were marked accordingly. For your set they would have been marked '291', is that your recollection?

Did your set have the nickel plated powder scoop? If so do you remember what powder and the charge weight was stamped on the handle?

thanks again for the information, it is appreciated.

Best regards,

What Cheer

Pepe Ray
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
My set was purchased in 1962. From Parker Bros. mail order house. I have everything but the box. Was for 30-30. Had a 311466 SC mold and powder scoop labled 15gr, 2400. Beagle has covered all the rest of it.
Pepe Ray

utk
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
A lot of information can be found here:
http://www.cornellpubs.com/Templates3/Lyman%201960%20Sights.html

What Cheer
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Pepe Ray,

Thanks for the information. If you would please, I have a few more questions regarding your 'Ammunition Maker' set.

Does your bullet mould have the stamped handles?

What is the bullet seating stem number?

What is the bullet sizing die plunger number?

Bullet sizing die .311?

Is your powder scoop nickel plated?

If you can provide this additional information, it will be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

What Cheer

What Cheer
08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
utk,

Thanks so much for the link, I'll get that reprint ordered.

Best regards,

What Cheer

Pepe Ray
08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Pepe Ray,

Thanks for the information. If you would please, I have a few more questions regarding your 'Ammunition Maker' set.

Does your bullet mould have the stamped handles? YES

What is the bullet seating stem number? 465

What is the bullet sizing die plunger number? 465

Bullet sizing die .311? YES

Is your powder scoop nickel plated? YES

If you can provide this additional information, it will be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

What Cheer

The 465 is substantially the same as 467, which is the proper # for my mold.
Pepe Ray

beagle
08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
It had the nickel plated scoop but I don't remember the weights involved with its use as I didn't trust it and bought a set of scales and had the loan of a Lyman 55 measure. As well as I recall, it scooped 11.2 grains of Unique as I used that load for years for plinking and small game.

The sizing chamber was .311" as that's what Lyman was pushing then for the .30/06. As well as I recall, the sizing plunger was stamped 465 as they were starting to consolidate TPs even back then.

The seating screw was either a 465 or a 467 and I beleive it was a 467 as I had "ring around the nose" until I got smarter.

Speaking of smarter....I had a real time getting GI brass fired in an M1 and neck sized by the neck sizer to chamber in my Springfield. I finally had a fellow take me under his wing and he had a set of FL resizing dies. After that, things went smoother.

They're good little sets and I have maybe fifteen 310 tool sets for various calibers that I have guns for. I have a set of sizing dies for the 358311 and last year, I pan lubed a bunch and loaded them in .38 Special using the tong tool.

I never will forget the independence that ammunition maker set gave me with the .30/06. Man, I could shoot about all that I wanted. A great dream come true for a country raised 16 year old./beagle

Beagle,

Thanks for you responce to my questions regarding the 'Ammunition Maker'.

I believe the seating stem and the bullet plunger for the bullet sizing die were for the mould supplied, and were marked accordingly. For your set they would have been marked '291', is that your recollection?

Did your set have the nickel plated powder scoop? If so do you remember what powder and the charge weight was stamped on the handle?

thanks again for the information, it is appreciated.

Best regards,

What Cheer

scrapcan
08-18-2008, 11:21 PM
I pulled out the trusty old shooters bible No. 50 from 1959. It shows much of what was mentioned above.

the "ammunition maker" set, $24.95, in display box. inlcudes 310 tong tool and dies for one caliber, bullet mould for standard bullet, lead dipper, bullet sizing chamber, loading block, instructions, and charge measure. available in 222,243,or244, 257, 270, 30/30, 300 sav, 303 Brit., 308, 30/06, 38 spec. or 357, 44 spec. or Mag.

Hope that is of some help.

floodgate
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
What Cheer:

More info and copies coming your way in the mail later this week. The Ammunition Maker apaprently was made from some time shortly after 1956 through the mid-'60s (my set of Lyman Annual Product Catalogs is not complete over these years, and the Ideal Handbooks were getting pretty spaced-out by that time. Price was $24.95 throughout, and I'd add (as above) the .45 ACP and .45 Colt to Jeremy's list, from one of my sources.

Hmmm: Randy's sets are looking pretty good,and I haven't added to my 310 collection for a while.....

Doug

dancingbear41
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
What Cheer,

I have an un-used Lyman Ammunition Maker in 9mm. It cantains a list of Dealers and Distributors, dated September1 1961. It still has its plain brown cardboard outer on it. In fact I have never before today removed the instruction manual to find the dealer list underneath to find a date for it.

It contains the 310 tool, a full set of dies, a primer seater, a .356" bullet sizer die (which pushes base first), a nickel plated powder scoop, a lead ladle and an Ideal 356402 single cavity bullet mould.

I have just taken some photos but I am struggling to insert or attach them. Any tips would be welcome. Or I will happily e-mail you some pictures if they would be of interest to you.

Simon.

PS. I think I may have attached the images.

scrapcan
09-07-2008, 04:09 PM
that would be a mint boxed set. Nice pics but it could not live at my house, it would have been used long ago.thanks for posting the pics.

What Cheer
09-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Dancingbear41,

WOW! Hopefully that word has the same meaning in England as it does in the United States. An absolutely fantastic set. It is amazing that it has survived in the condition it's in.

I thank you for posting the photographs. I also hope you realize that it opens the door for a multitude of questions (from me) regarding the details of your set.
As many on this forum can confirm, I am persistent in my search for information on these sets.

Best regards,

What Cheer

floodgate
09-08-2008, 12:25 PM
dancingbear41, What Cheer:

The 9mm caliber is a new one for us, not on the lists above.

Floodgate

dancingbear41
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
What Cheer,

Ask away, I will do my best to answer what I can.

I bought this set a number of years ago in what I call "the good old days", back when I was a pistol shooter. There was a gunmaker's shop in Bath by the name of Crudgingtons. They made shotguns and they also owned George Gibbs, the famous Bristol gunmaker's name (unfortunately they closed their doors last earlier this year due to the costs of running a Business in the centre of Bath. The shop now sells all sorts of posh things. On a similar note, back in my student days, I helped clear out the George Gibbs shop in Bristol when it closed and it is now a tattoo parlour!!). Sorry I sidetracked a bit there.

I became friends with one of the staff in Crudgingtons and over a number of years they sold off all of their pistol shooting equipment (this was before the ban), mostly to me. I used alot myself or sold it on to other shooters in my club. One of the items produced one day was this Lyman Ammunition maker. The cardboard outer was still on it and it had never been used. I had no need to use it, although at one time I was tempted when I felt the need to acquire a Lyman lead dipper. However I did buy one rather than ruin the set.

I am a bit of a collector with regards shooting paraphernalia. Although as a collector I am one of the worst type in that I have no speciality and try to collect everything. I collect ammunition and have a thing for boxes of. If they are sealed even better, although it makes it a very expensive way to collect and I am calming down quite well on that front. I also have over 100 bullet moulds many of which I do use.

With this Lyman set it seemed a shame to let it get used since it had survived so long as it was. With some things I think they have to be used, I have a friend who collects guns and doesn't shoot them (he is Stateside), I have to use them. But this set was a collector, I shot 9mm at the time but loaded on a turret press so why would I want to load with a 310 tool?

I hope my ramblings are of some interest and again, I will answer any questions I can.

Simon.

What Cheer
09-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Dancingbear41,

Thanks for your offer to answer questions about your Ammunition Maker set.
I do have a few.

What is the number on the bullet seating stem ?

What is the number on the plunger in the bullet sizing die ?

What are the exact powder charge markings on the powder scoop handle ?

The 310 tool handles - I assume they are alloy (not steel), are the marked,
IDEAL (over) Middlefield Conn, U.S.A. ?

What is the copyright date on the inside cover of the "How to Reload Ammunition and Cast Bullets" instruction manual ?

All information will be appreciated.

Thanks again, and best regards,

What Cheer

dancingbear41
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
What Cheer,

If you can cope with waiting until the weekend I will get the Ammo Maker out again and answer all of your questions.

Are photos of any use to you. In this digital age pictures cost nothing so if you have any parts you would like photographed I will do my best.

Also, if I may ask, what is the fascination with the 310 tool? When I saw this set I realised it was old and thought it would be a nice item to keep in pristine condition (the maniac collector). Being a handloader, I could see no need to use a set of hand dies unless one had to reload in the back of beyond, which I don't. But I guess they fill a very important place in the history of cartridge reloading.

Simon.

dancingbear41
09-14-2008, 08:28 AM
What Cheer,

To answer your questions:

The number on the bullet seating stem is 402, as is the bullet sizing plunger.

The markings on the powder scopp are 5.4 GR 5066.

The 310 tool is alloy and marked Lyman.

The reloading booklet has a copyright date of 1958.

I hope this is useful, and ask if there is anything else I can do.

Simon.

What Cheer
09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Dancingbear41,

Thanks for the additional information and photographs. They are most useful.

I can not quite make it out from your photograph of the handles, but it appears that they are stamped 'LYMAN' on the right side of the upper handle. Is this correct?

The loading instruction manual that I have read, also having a copyright date of 1958, does not have the 9mm included on the page (17) that lists powder charges.

Is there an addendum sheet of powder charges for other calibers, including the
9mm, with your manual?

I thank you for your patience, there are other questions, but I feel I have taken too much of your time already.

Best regards,

What Cheer

dancingbear41
09-15-2008, 03:25 PM
What Cheer,

The handles are indeed stamped Lyman.

9mm is not listed on page 17 and there is no additional information regarding powder charges other than that stamped on the powder scoop.

Do feel free to ask any questions. If I can help I will.

Simon.