PDA

View Full Version : I give up on twp of my cast bullets.

oldracer
11-16-2017, 11:29 PM
For my 45 caliber slug guns I have 3 cast bullets. First is the 540 grain BASCO (Buffalo Arms) Creedmoor that just rides slightly on the bore diameter of all 4 of my slug guns. Two of them have Green Mountain barrels, one is a Pedersoli Gibbs and one is the newest gain twist with no barrel markings. With 90 grains of powder, 0.060 fiber wad and shooting from a rest, all 4 will shoot a 1 MOA group at 300 yards! The next is a 520 grain Pedersoli bullet that came with my Gibbs. None of the rifles will shoot it as well although the Gibbs is close if I do not use a wad as Pedersoli sez. Last is a custom 560 straight sided bullet sized so it can be paper patched. None of them shoot it well except the gain twist barrel at 100 yards? The two grease groove bullets use Doug Konell's lube which is about the best. So this past Tuesday I decided to stick with the BACO bullet and I remolded the other bullets I had made.

I really wanted the paper patch bullet to work but no luck except for some using 120 grains of powder but that is a load on my shoulder for sure! I tried the paper patch with and without a wad as I did the Gibbs. Pedersoli's instructions say to not use a wad and to not compress the powder at all. One thing about the Pedersoli barrel is it has choke starting 8 inches from the muzzle, the others are straight?

Any one have any ideas?

triggerhappy243
12-03-2017, 03:19 AM
that choke sounds like the culprit. i am not a paper patch guy, idahoron and 54bore would be the guys to ask.

charlie b
12-03-2017, 07:41 AM
It does sound like a choke would not be good for a PP combo. Think it might compress the paper to the bullet more and paper is sticking? Are you wrapping dry, no tail?

I use Fleener's method of a PP bullet with a fiber (veggie) wad, OxYoke lubed felt wad, then the bullet. I usually wipe after each string of ten.

OTOH, I'd probably just stick with lubed bullets since they work in your gun. Less work :)