PDA

View Full Version : accuracy AC vs.WQ ?

RU shooter
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Since almost all of you have been casting and shooting cast boolits longer than I ,Is there any difference in accuracy in general at moderate speeds (1300-1800 fps) Or is it just the preference of the what the barrel likes or the design of the boolit or? last month I cast up a few hundred ACWW boolits and stupid me got them mixed in with the WQ I had made before and I'm not gonna try to figure out whats what with 350+ boolits I mainly use these in informal CMP type matches so I'm not shooting for money or trophies.So do you think they will all shoot the same accuracy wise? Or just melt the whole batch back down:(

Thanks,Tim

felix
08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Tim, it is hard to tell in advance. If two groups appear FOR SURE then you would know for sure. If the groups are definitely round, there is no statistical difference without doing a deeper study to determine if roundness is a valid criteria for your gun. In this case particularly, shoot 10 round groups to give a valid chance for two groups to show up without qualms. ... felix

Ricochet
08-16-2008, 07:37 PM
This will be a very interesting experiment!

docone31
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Not if both groups are mixed with the same castings, and they are thought to be mixed.
I absolutely know I am not that good that hardening would ever show up in my groups.
Hats off to those who are. You have definately paid your dues.

HeavyMetal
08-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I think shooting freestyle ( no rest) is gonna have enough variables that I don't think you'll be able to detect the difference between AC and WQ boolits.

From a bench rest you should see a difference depending on the load and caliber /B] your shooting.

Generally I quench to harden as I shoot loads that are in the top end, pressure wise, of each caliber I load for [B]OR I'm loading for an auto loader and don't want the boolits to deform while going up the feed ramp.

You've done the work, I'd go ahead and shoot them and, unless you see a huge difference in kept scores, I wouldn't worry about it.

In the future labeled containers, like old magerine tubs, work great for keeping such things in the correct piles.

cbrick
08-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Yes it will indeed be interesting to test them this way.

In long range (150 meters) revolver accuracy testing I did changing BHN within a group had a large impact on accuracy. Minor BHN changes (17-18 BHN) within a group had little to no affect on accuracy but larger BHN variation (say 15-21 BHN) within the same group and I couldn't keep the shots on the 150 meter target much less any kind of group.

Air cooled WW should be around 11-12 BHN and your quenched bullets should be about 18 BHN so yes, an interesting test.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2008, 06:58 AM
my experiences have been kind of odd. Ive tried it many tmes and air cooled usually seems to get the nod in accuracy over water dropped but there has been exceptions. I think it is another variable like swapping primers or powder charge. each individual gun and load will need to be tested and its pretty hard to make a blanket statement.

44man
08-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Lloyd, thats just how I feel about it. The gun will tell you.
I don't see much change in actual accuracy, just a change in POI so you sure don't want to mix them for long range but at the closer ranges it has been nothing to get excited about.
I have even gone to 50-50 WW and pure only to find super groups that match my harder alloy.
Mixing hardness has the same effect as mixing different neck tensions.

runfiverun
08-17-2008, 11:23 AM
my money would be on the 2 different groups.
or a good group then a flyer from a mixed one, but from a standing 100yd
shot i couldn't shoot well enough to tell.
from a bench yes, standing no way.

missionary5155
08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Why canīt you just do a hardness test with a lead pencil ? Reasonably sharp Lead pencil will dig into AC somewhat easily..... The pencil lead will slide over WQ boolits with the same applied pressure hardly making a scratch. You could test a boolit every 5 seconds and be through the batch in no time... Numbless comertial time can be profitable time.

RU shooter
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
From the sounds of it I'm worrying too much (again) Your correct Offhand I wouldnt be able to tell but in slow prone slinged up nice and tight I may I guess I should be more concerned with the same POI of the two So we shall see. Since i'm at it I do have some of both(WQ and AC) of the Lee309-160 that shoot well for me So I'll preform a little side by side test to see if theres any difference in accuracy or POI on the target.

Thanks,Tim

JeffinNZ
08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
I inadvertently mixed up some air cooled and heat treated in my .32-20 bullets and the wee Martini did not approve. Dang pain in the backside.

44man
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Some guns are picky and don't like a hard boolit. Others won't like a soft one so yes, accuracy could suffer depending on the gun itself.
I should have added that to my posts too. Nothing is set in stone.
We can only try things to see what happens.