PDA

View Full Version : lee loader, is it done>?

Oklahoma Rebel
11-16-2017, 07:20 PM
just now got the new lee catalogue and to my surprise, no lee loaders! I checked the whole catalogue twice. nothing! is this true?

RogerDat
11-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Still have them on their website https://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/

Oklahoma Rebel
11-16-2017, 08:31 PM
whew!... ok I was scared for a minute. but unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if it's cancellation is imminent.

Jniedbalski
11-17-2017, 01:22 AM
I have the new lee catalogue and there on page 18 .223 up to 45 colt 15 different calibers total

ghh3rd
11-17-2017, 02:13 AM
I was thinking of getting the 45-70 loader just for grins.. already load them on my press, but would like to try the loader.

Mr_Sheesh
11-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Too few calibers IMO tho; I need a metal lathe etc., I'd love a 380 Auto clone of the Lee Classic, among others.

RogerDat
11-17-2017, 01:48 PM
The price makes them hard to justify as a "need" because the cost is close to what the dies would cost to just do it on a press. Even a cheap C press for ~ $36 plus used dies would tend to make more financial sense.... unless you have a yen just to have one as opposed to a need to be able to load a caliber. For bug out bag I would think easier to just throw in another zip lock baggie of ammo than to carry the components to make them.

They do make a nice starter kit to introduce someone to reloading, so you can set someone up with a bag of cast boolits, the remainder of a pound of powder, 100 pack of primers and show them how they too can make their own ammo. For some folks it's such a kick that it is almost addictive once they try it. After that it's only a matter of time until they buy equipment to enhance the speed at which they save money on making own ammo. :-)

In my case I bought the kits for shotgun, I don't shoot those enough to warrant a press purchase (yet) so a hand press and plastic hammer solution was a good option. Of course that leads to a sabot mold, wads, different powder, and rifled barrel purchase but that is all due to my inquisitive nature, yeah that's it, inquisitive nature.

Oklahoma Rebel
11-17-2017, 02:33 PM
I guess I just missed it..... twice!:killingpc I have a lee loader in 45-70, I like it a lot, I mainly use my 38pl the most, I don't shoot it a lot, I like to keep a full cylinder pluss another six. so when I target shoot a bit, or have to kill a possum or raccoon raiding the chickens, then I just hammer up enough to replace what I used! it's perfect for that kind of thing. but I would like to get one for my 7.62X54 and I wish they made one for the 7.62X39, so I could have one for each caliber. they are great for living/traveling in an rv.