PDA

View Full Version : Feeding PP boolits from magazine?

GrizzLeeBear
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Do any of you have any problems with feeding PP rounds out of the magazine in a bolt action like a mauser? I plan on using a mauser for CMP vintage matches, so I need to be able to feed them out of the mag for the rapid fire portion of the match. I am concerned that feeding out of the mag will damage or strip the PP causing inaccuracy or jamming the rifle.

scrapcan
08-15-2008, 10:44 AM
you might have to make sure the wrap is just over the ogive on the bullet. I don't have alot of experience with this but others will be along soon.

wonderwolf
08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm going to try something like this with a 7.7 japanese type 99 rifle I just got and .308 bullets from pulled down range pick up ammo. (yes people leave loaded ammo at the range, those and duds but I still love them :drinks:) How abrubt the feed ramp is will dictate how rough it is on the jackets also the mouth of the breech I would think. What bullet design are you going to use? I'm thinking round nose would work better than spitzer but I dunno.

powderburnerr
08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
thia sounds like where a wet patch applied over the ogive and seated deep would shine, shine , shine....Dean

pdawg_shooter
08-16-2008, 08:41 AM
I have no problems in a bolt, but my Marlin 1895g damaged the paper feeding into the chamber. I got around this by ending my patch where the brass ended. Still shoots fine, no leading, and no worries about dinging the patch.

oso
08-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I have not had any problems feeding paper patched boolits from the magazines of our FR-8, Rem 600 and Rem 788. Try it and let us know how it goes for your rifle.

Digital Dan
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Mr. Bear, I've been shooting PP from a Ruger 77/44 for about 8 years w/o any problems in feeding or mangling of the bullet. A friend has had similar experience with a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. He also shoots the .45-70 PP in an 1895 CB rifle. Must be ok for it shoots MOA at a hundred yards.

bcp477
08-18-2008, 08:14 PM
I have no feeding problems NOW in my M48 with my PP loads. A flat-nosed bullet (with a pretty large meplat), with COA at only about 2.78". I have, however, "massaged" the feed ramp and magazine lips of my receiver, to smooth out the irregular surfaces, especially at the "shoulders" of the feed ramp, where it transitions under the forward edges of the magazine lips. I did this several years ago, to improve feeding of round-nosed bullets. If my rifle was (still) unmodified in this regard, I seriously doubt if it would feed the PP bullets well, if at all (before modification, it would not feed the short round-nosed bullets well at all). Many of the Mausers in my experience, regardless of manufacturer or vintage, seem to have feeding problems with bullets shorter than the original military ones and/or bullets of different shapes than the originals. The Yugo rifles are especially known for this, but I have seen this problem in Vz24's and K98k's, also. Whether your Mauser will, in fact, feed your PP loads well is a matter of conjecture at this point. You'll simply have to find out for yourself. IF it does give trouble, the problem can likely be mostly or completely alleviated, by doing as I have done.

windrider919
08-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, sometimes I have had cartridges feeding from the mag roll a strip of paper back.
I am always 'watching' chambering force and bolt cam force to catch this because it reults in a high pressure round. The type where the world lurches and the lights blink. the doubled paper causes a overpressure because the bullet becomes oversize. Flat primer, sticky extraction, etc. But since the first one I pay attention an have not repeated. I have had 3 rifles in 458 WinMag but this one [ Ruger 77 ] is the only one to do it.