PDA

View Full Version : Recoil

Alstep
11-09-2017, 02:44 PM
As I get older, I find it harder to deal with recoil. Never bothered me before, as I shot highpower for many years. Padded shooting jacket doesn't do it any more. What do you older guys use between the stock & your shoulder??? I see PAST recoil pads, just wondering if they work?? Am open to any suggestions. Would like to keep shooting my old military rifles but find the punishment cancels out the fun.
Thanks for your thoughts.

JBinMN
11-09-2017, 02:50 PM
I have seen folks use these types before, but have no personal experience.
https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Slip-On-Recoil-Pad/dp/B00542J5QO

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41nn3X7T%2BcL._SY450_.jpg

Perhaps that is something to consider?

G'Luck!
:)

BUCKEYE BANDIT
11-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Bought one of those for the FR8 (it bites old collar bone injuries ) then bought a couple more for long strings with the Garand and M!A .I'd rather be a recoil sissy than an observer :bigsmyl2:

G'Luck!

MT Chambers
11-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Buffalo Arms (and others) offer leather lace-on pads that look good on old levers or single shots.

bandsmoyer
11-09-2017, 04:45 PM
I,ve been using the Pachmayr Decelerator slip on. Big difference. Get them on E-BAY, about 20.00

Driver man
11-09-2017, 04:46 PM
I can recommend the slip on pads and use them on 303 british , 8mm mauser ,308 (98 Mauser) .They put the pleasure back and reduce unwanted flinches .

country gent
11-09-2017, 04:51 PM
I have a past shield and use it occasionally but find it a little restrictive at times. I also have a couple limb saver slip on leather pads that see use. The problem with them is the increase in length of pull they cause. But they work well. The past shield is just bigger than my shoulder.

higgins
11-09-2017, 04:53 PM
I too have become more recoil sensitive, which is one reason I enjoy shooting reduced cast loads in a couple of rifles. For others, I use the PAST pad that's about 1/2" thick. I didn't get the thicker one because I figured it would alter the length of pull too much. The half-inch pad has worked well for me with milsurp rifles using military ammo.

jsizemore
11-09-2017, 04:57 PM
The Limbsaver pad let me keep my Benelli Super90.

foesgth
11-09-2017, 04:59 PM
I got rear ended by a commercial truck and broke my neck in 4 places. I have been told recoil is a no no for another year at best. I still shoot my old war horses using trailboss. If you are not trying to get a Garand to cycle you can come up with some great loads. They look at me funny when I get to the 100 yard line and set my Mosin's sight at 200. I only shoot out to 200 yards so I don't know if these loads would be usable beyond that distance. When i get the OK from the Doc I will still use these loads as they are a blast.

brewer12345
11-09-2017, 05:16 PM
I am not yet an oldster, but I am also by no means a recoil junky. I shoot the 30-06 as little as possible with full hunting loads, for example, as I don't find it pleasant at all. When I have to shoot it to sight it in, I have one of those bean bag type portable rests that they sell in sporting goods stores inexpensively and I put it between the stock and my shoulder. A little awkward, but it REALLY cancels out the recoil. If I cared enough to do so, I would probably try to make/alter a slip on pad filled with small size lead shot to do the same thing in a neater, less clumsy way.

Mostly, though, I enjoy shooting reduced loads in more powerful rifles and lower recoil cartridges. The 5 pound 44 mag lever I own starts to hurt my should about 2/3 of the way through a box of full power shells. With cast cowboy action cartridges/Trail Boss type loads, I can blaze away as long as I like and they are really accurate. I shoot a lot of 38 special out of a 357 lever, and some 357 out of it. The 357 has totally manageable recoil even with heavy loads, the 38s are like shooting a 22. I have just as much fun shooting these as higher powered rifles, and I don't beat up my shoulder.

The only place I have not yet figured out a good solution is with trap shooting, although 7/8 oz. loads help a lot.

lefty o
11-09-2017, 06:43 PM
slip on pads, better pads period, lighter loads, and muzzle brakes are about the choices to reduce recoil.

iomskp
11-09-2017, 07:12 PM
I have just had a 300 H&H put together, at the time of construction I made mention of fitting a muzzle brake and I got shouted down, how dare I fit such a thing to a classic, but I am the one with the back and nerve damage and it is my rifle so the brake gets fitted next week and if that is not enough I will have a recoil reducer fitted as well.

Regards Trevor

shooter93
11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Slow the load down and/or use a lighter bullet. Both can make a big difference and the slip on pads help too.

Boaz
11-09-2017, 08:17 PM
I can relate . I agree with the slip on pad . Bout 3 years ago took the old Mossin and shot bout 20 rounds and layed it down . It was a wake up call , shoulder was hurting and wasn't much 'fun' . Arthritis , rotor cup damage came to awareness . Got a slip on and still shooting that rifle , could be a 30/06 or whatever but will help .

Rick Hodges
11-09-2017, 09:07 PM
I use the past particularly for shooting from the bench. They are effective in reducing felt recoil.

runfiverun
11-09-2017, 09:16 PM
switch to plain base molds.

brewer12345
11-09-2017, 09:33 PM
switch to plain base molds.

Love it!

Tom W.
11-09-2017, 09:44 PM
I like the Limbsaver recoil pads.

MaryB
11-09-2017, 11:46 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous after 2 rotator cuff surgeries recoil is a no-no! That mellows it a LOT!

Wayne Smith
11-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Al, I have the slip on pads on my Win95 .405 - metal curved buttplate. I have one on my A3O3. I got a PAST pad when loading for a Trapdoor Springfield. Haven't used it since - it is a little awkward. You might notice the consistency - metal buttplates and slip on pads!

dverna
11-10-2017, 12:20 PM
I had a muzzle brake installed on a .300 Mag. It made a world of difference.....but **** it is loud!

I had a RAD II installed on the target shotgun. It is not cheap. It allows LOP to be adjusted easily.

The best device I have used is a PFS unit. It is used on shotguns but I spoke to the developer and it will work on a rifle if you can get it to fit. This unit allows adjustments to every aspect of stock fit including offset. Ugly and expensive but extremely effective. I have owned two and still have one.

country gent
11-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Another thing I have found with the bigger guns is sometimes a little higher bench position helps a lot with controlling recoil. A few inches higher allows a more erect position and better handling of recoil. A well fit stock of the proper dimensions also makes a big difference.

The pads slip on and shoulder work but have draw backs too. Another thing is on firearms with open spaces in the fore arm and or buttstock adding weight will greatly reduce felt recoil. M1A / M14s, Garands, some fiber glass stocks and laminates the holes open areas can be filled with a lead shot glue mix adding a couple 3 lbs to the rifle. ( My NM M1A/M14s weight 14 lbs with the heavy barrel and lead in trap holes to balance, recoil is much lighter. My NM AR15s go 15 lbs with stock weight heavy barrel and front weights. Recoil is non existant). If a release agent is used in the stock then the weights can be removed easily. Double faced tap in the forearm weights to keep from rubbing the barrel under recoil might be needed though. A lot depends on the firearm and its uses, but going from 8-9 lbs to 11-12 lbs reduces a lot of recoil. A mixture of fine lead shot and epoxy poured into the void ( release agent and or a layer of saran wrap to keep epoxy from adhereing to stock. and work it into place with hand pressure will add weight and be removeable if desired for hunting or carry.

quilbilly
11-10-2017, 02:47 PM

G'Luck!
I have used those of and on for decades, especially on my 444 Marlin, but now that I use cast and have reduced loads accordingly, I no longer need one. As others have noted about plain base boolits, I barely know the 444 is going off with a plain base 260 gr at 1200 FPS.
You will be amazed at how your military rifles feel and how well they shoot. In reality, you can also just reduce the velocity of gas checked boolits until the recoil is tolerable.

Duckiller
11-10-2017, 05:48 PM
PAST pads work great. Years ago an older gentleman ( probably younger than me now) was on an adjacent bench was sighting in his 7mm MAG. We talked and after a while I insissted that he try my pad. He didn't want to at first but finally did. All of a sudden the gun ws=as no longer beating him up. He asked where I had got my pad. I assume he got a pad on the way home. I would recommend getting the heaviest pad possible. I will take the sting out of heavy loads. Also as Quilbilly points out light cast loads in military rounds sure take the sting out. #2 son enjoys shooting my SMLE with light cast loads.

David2011
11-12-2017, 03:19 PM
While not suitable for every rifle, muzzle brakes can make a huge difference in felt recoil. Even better is a JP Rifles recoil eliminator. It makes a .300 Win Mag feel like a .243. http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

Minerat
11-12-2017, 03:34 PM
I went with Pachmayr Decelerator pads on my 300WBY and 7mm Rem mag. and while I can run 20 to 30 round thru them in one setting they do take the sting out of doing it. At 64 some people never learn.. A buddy of mine can't take the recoil anymore so when we are working up hunting loads he uses a leadsled which helps a lot.

I'd hate giving up shooting them and if needed would use a 25# bag of 7.5 shot between the shoulder and the stock. I truly hope you find a solution that work for you.

KenT7021
11-12-2017, 03:46 PM
I have used the PAST recoil pads for years firing magnum rifles from a bench for sight in and accuracy testing.They work extremely well.I believe I got mine from Midway.

Tom W.
11-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I took my 30-06 ai to the range today. It was the first time I've fired it in years. I got my regular loads to print at 2 inches high @100 yards, then proceeded to fire both some test loads and some fireforming loads.
the last loads I made using 165 gr. Gamekings were all over. Scratch that load. The 180 gr. Gamekings were good. The fireform loads shot 4 inches low, but that was expected. I was happy for the Limbsaver...

Kraschenbirn
11-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Eddie Allen trapshooter vest with suede-covered Past pad sewn (by Mrs. Krasch) over the original quilted padding. Fired 40-some rounds through my 45-70 RB Friday afternoon without so much as a twinge of stiffness on Saturday morning. Vest I'm using now is my second with this arrangement; steel buttplates on my milsurps and BPCRs wore the suede beyond patching after 4 or 5 years.

Bill

MostlyLeverGuns
11-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Walmart sells LimbSaver slip-ons. I have Limbsaver or Kick-eez on everything bigger than the 22-250. Makes most rifles much more pleasant, even the 243 and 30-30. You can shoot a light 300 Savage or 308 Win with pleasure for many more rounds with a Kick-eez or LimbSaver. Recoil pads do harden with age so every 5-10-20 years might need to be replaced. 300 Mag, 358, 444 and 45-70 full loads are just miserable without. There is a great difference with the newer pads.

MaryB
11-12-2017, 11:55 PM
I even use the PAST pad with my AR-15 and it has a muzzle brake. Why beat up a messed up shoulder any more than I have to! After 2 rotator cuff surgeries that side I do NOT need to injure it again!

I do warm anyone next to me I am using a brake and they need good ear protection and it will blow light stuff off tables... I need a muzzle brake for my Type 53 next, that is my northern MN deer rifle...

tinhorn97062
11-12-2017, 11:58 PM
I probably don’t qualify for the “older crowd”, being only 35, but my .45-70 wears a Pachmeyer Decelerator on it. I tend to shoot “heavy and fast”, and the Decelerator makes it easy to do.

HangFireW8
11-13-2017, 10:36 AM
I avoid slip on pads because the increase the length of pull. If the body has no slack, stretched out over a too-long stock, recoil is more painful.

When I get a factory rifle the first thing I do is belt sand off the point at the bottom of the butt pad. Later I adjust length of pull in or out as needed, and put a 5 degree draft vertical, 2.5 degree horizontal on the butt. That means the heel is shorter than the top and the left side, and the butt better matches the angles of my shoulder.

I have been putting Pachmayr Decelerators on everything. Limbsavers are good too.

Evaluating length of pull and cheek position is everything in eliminating recoil pain. I have recut Combs and raised or lowered sites to address recoil issues.

-HF

beezapilot
11-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Sometimes I find myself shooting quite a bit of trap in the course of a day- I installed one of these on my trap gun and spent a little time dialing it in. Aside from the stock moving on your cheek and a noted "ping!" as the spring resets, it reduced 12 gauge recoil to a level that 200 birds a day is comfortable. I've not put one on a rifle as yet, but believe that it would work well.
https://graco-corp.com/product/gc15r-gracoil/

As an edit, like HangFire said, this has some adjustability built into it that is really an asset

nicholst55
11-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Don't overlook the mercury recoil reducers that are installed in the buttstock. Generally a bit more money than a recoil pad, but another option.

TXGunNut
11-14-2017, 11:25 PM
Been using a PAST pad for some time, I think it's time for a new one. Will probably upgrade to the one Mary linked.

Wayne Smith
11-15-2017, 08:33 AM
I avoid slip on pads because the increase the length of pull. If the body has no slack, stretched out over a too-long stock, recoil is more painful.

When I get a factory rifle the first thing I do is belt sand off the point at the bottom of the butt pad. Later I adjust length of pull in or out as needed, and put a 5 degree draft vertical, 2.5 degree horizontal on the butt. That means the heel is shorter than the top and the left side, and the butt better matches the angles of my shoulder.

I have been putting Pachmayr Decelerators on everything. Limbsavers are good too.

Evaluating length of pull and cheek position is everything in eliminating recoil pain. I have recut Combs and raised or lowered sites to address recoil issues.

-HF
I like the slip on pads because it adds to the LOP. But then, I wear a 36" sleeve. My flintlock has a 14 3/4" LOP. Al, if I remember right, you won't have that problem.

Multigunner
11-15-2017, 09:59 AM
I found that when using a slip on pad my group sizes increased. So now in summer I just fold a thick washcloth and put it on my shoulder under my T-shirt.
In winter if wearing a winter coat recoil doesn't bother me.
Shooting is more consistent because effective length of pull is much the same when either is used.

jbutts6785
11-15-2017, 11:52 AM
I use a PAST recoil pad at times and like it. I also shoot a lot of military rifles with those steel butt plates. It is especially good when firing the .45-70 trapdoor with the 500 grain bullet and a full load of FFG.

WILCO
11-15-2017, 12:10 PM
As I get older, I find it harder to deal with recoil. Never bothered me before, as I shot highpower for many years. Padded shooting jacket doesn't do it any more. What do you older guys use between the stock & your shoulder??? I see PAST recoil pads, just wondering if they work?? Am open to any suggestions. Would like to keep shooting my old military rifles but find the punishment cancels out the fun.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hickock45 uses one. Watch a couple of his videos and you'll see what he uses. Wish I could remember what brand he has.

Hardcast416taylor
11-15-2017, 05:03 PM
As an outdoor writer that had a sense of humor, Jim McManus, in his writings once said about recoil. "I have come to the point of really knowing when the rifle or goose hunting shotgun has too much recoil ( kick to you uneducated), it is when I can applaud with my shoulder blades after several shots"!Robert

WILCO
11-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Limbsaver! Hickock45 uses a Limbsaver recoil pad.

https://limbsaver.com/

Preacher Jim
11-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Bullets.com has sale on kick eze pads starting at 4.25 a piece. This week

HangFireW8
11-16-2017, 10:00 PM
I like the slip on pads because it adds to the LOP. But then, I wear a 36" sleeve. My flintlock has a 14 3/4" LOP. Al, if I remember right, you won't have that problem.
Well, OK, I don't have a 36" sleeve, just mind the LOP, not too long or too short, use what works for you. Plus the other things mentioned.

If you have some rare collectible, and have the LOP to spare, slip-on pads might work fine. IMHO too many people are afraid to modify stocks on commodity hunting guns. I've gotten past that. (Loooong past that).

MostlyLeverGuns
11-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Unless it really is a pristine collector I cut them. Mostly Savage 99's, some Marlin's, but I want to enjoy them. Maybe a replacement stock for truly unmodified originals, then make them fit. From horseshoeing and handling hay my muscles are thick and shorter stocks with a good deal of pitch work best FOR ME. If you just can't cut the original, find a replacement stock and make it fit with a recoil pad. I use a slip-on on a cut stock, then when it feels right I install the soft pad. There is also a slip-on that has several different pads to help find the right fit, BearTooth (?) I think.