PDA

View Full Version : Just thoughts

Boaz
11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
I still have the 'crud' and will not go around folks any more than necessary , don't want to be a typhoid Charlie . I didn't go to church today and I'm missing that . But I have taken time to re access or think . One of the topics I dwelled on with myself was what I take for granted and I take a lot for granted .

Verse was one of those things taken for granted .

John 3;16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I picked this and other verses . It's not that I take it for granted but I need to constantly refresh myself as to the unbelievable importance of it . We at times become so use to seeing , hearing and quoting that it can all run together when one verse can be so life changing and profound . Many times we use verse pointing at others needs not realizing the verse should build us and refresh us at the same time keeping us on track .

Romans 10;9

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Brother Albert's Roman Road thread made me stop and think . So much scripture to live by , so much explanation given . All simple but up to us to build a life on . Our Lord Jesus Christ the son of GOD came to live among us to teach and live by example . His suffering , death and resurrection assures each of us salvation and eternal life through belief in him .

Romans 5;9

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Ephesians 2;1-10

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

For myself I plan on revisiting much verse to rekindle , refresh and glean insight how that particular verse is working in my life . I most likely will have to make some corrections .

Thank you for putting up with me . I pray everyone has a good Sunday and a great week coming up ! Ya'll know I love you .

Charlie

Thundarstick
11-05-2017, 02:45 PM
I'm curious, as I've been keeping up with the threads, but where does water baptism fit in? It's mentioned all through the NTwith countless examples, so evidently it was being taught and practiced. If it's not nessery why is it in the scriptures? I notice it's always missing here??

Boaz
11-05-2017, 03:01 PM
The reason most sidestep Baptism here in the Chapel is because baptism can vary by denomination . I'm a fundamentalist . I believe in total immersion baptism but can accept others views on it . I can be accepting of others views because 'they' are responsible for their own choices . In my opinion baptism and the methodology of it should be left up to the individual as directed by GOD .

Boaz
11-05-2017, 03:08 PM
As an example this is the belief of 'my' church . But doctrine and interpretation of scripture can vary in different churches .

The establishment and continuance of local churches is clearly taught and defined in the New Testament Scriptures We believe in the autonomy of the local church free of any external authority or control.
The Bible teaches that there are two ordinances given to the church to administer 1) Baptism 2) The Lord’s Supper. However, neither are sacraments or give any sort of saving grace. They are simply acts of obedience designed to point to Christ’s death and resurrection. (Acts 14:27; 20:17, 28-32; I Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-11).(Acts 13:1-4; 15:19-31; 20:28; Rom. 16:1, 4; I Cor. 3:9, 16; 5:4-7, 13; I Peter 5:1-4).

tinhorn97062
11-05-2017, 08:24 PM
There’s many such things that believers squabble about. Really though, if you get right down to it, baptism doesn’t save a person- faith in Christ does. This is the same for pretty much every single squabbling point I’ve encountered over the years, when talking with other believers.

tinhorn97062
11-05-2017, 08:26 PM
While on the subject: Charlie, I’m going to join you in revisiting some of these scriptures and let the Lord minister to me in a fresh manner.

Wayne Smith
11-05-2017, 08:51 PM
One that struck home to me a few years ago - For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

If sin is falling short of the glory of God - the very best I can do falls desperately short - sin is my definition, not just something I do or neglect. This drives home to me in a very immediate way my ongoing and continuing need for God. It explains to me the fact that salvation, in the New Testament, is found in the present tense, the past tense, the present perfect tense, and the future tense. Salvation is something I need all the time!

Thundarstick
11-05-2017, 09:36 PM
There was no intent to squabble in the chapel and I think you all for the kind replies, especially scriptures to reflect upon. For myself, I suppose in keeping with obedience it is nessery for me, myself. Not that through the work of baptism I'm saved, or any other work of obedience for that matter. Yet, from my desire to obey, not to prove anything to anyone. After all, i guess you can baptize a cat, but you can't make the cat a Christian!

aspangler
11-05-2017, 11:26 PM
I will probably get beat up for this but baptism is simply an outward show to the world that you have died out to sin, been buried and rose to the newnes of life. Hope this helps. I too am a "fundamentilist" but can live with whatever makes you happy in this matter.
Bro. Albert

tinhorn97062
11-05-2017, 11:31 PM
I will probably get beat up for this but baptism is simply an outward show to the world that you have died out to sin, been buried and rose to the newnes of life. Hope this helps. I too am a "fundamentilist" but can live with whatever makes you happy in this matter.
Bro. Albert

Ya nailed it.

Wayne Smith
11-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you are saying the same thing with different words and emphases! Baptism is not necessary for salvation or the thief on the cross would not be in paradise now and Christ lied! Not so. That does not deny it's importance in following Christ's example and as a testimony to God's promises and our hope.

GhostHawk
11-06-2017, 09:17 AM
I believe Baptism is important "for children" as I believe it helps protect them.

As adults we live our life and abide by the consequences.

There are I am sure many church's that would disagree with my view. Which is fine.

Mankind has had 2000 years to pick, work, worry and gnaw at religion.
It is surprising to me sometimes that the Lord wants anything at all to do with us.

Thundarstick
11-06-2017, 11:26 AM
To me, it would be like Naaman refusing to wash in the Jordan. Why would anyone who confesses and professes Christ not want to be baptized. However I do understand different opinions on scriptural understandings.

Preacher Jim
11-07-2017, 12:00 PM
18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 [e]Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Jesus said it I believe it so I did it.

Boaz
11-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Total agreement !!!

Boaz
11-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Jesus teaches by example .

Matthew 3;13-17

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”