PDA

View Full Version : My new rifle

idahoron
11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
I have had several break barrel guns and after being less than impressed with the accuracy of these rifles I decided to just go for it.

I got an Air Arms TX200. This rifle is a under lever spring piston rifle. This one is the MKIII model. I installed a UGT 3x12x44 compact scope on it. I recently switched to the same scope but the full length version to give more scope eye relief adjustment. These are accurate rifles, and heavy rifles tipping the scale at 10 pounds with the scope.

https://i.imgur.com/ezWUJMW.jpg

This rifle has an Italian Walnut stock, a German barrel, and was Built in england. The stock is a oil finish, some call the checkering a fish scale pattern. The Bluing is the quality of fine guns. It is a beautiful rifle to say the least.

https://i.imgur.com/tFGygmp.jpg

The scope mount is a 11mm Dovetail but the top of the receiver has scope stop holes. I used a UGT one piece mount and rings. The mount has a screw that once adjusted will lock into the scope stop. It is a well thought out system.

The trigger is Awesome!! It is a two stage trigger with a very abrupt wall. When squeezing the trigger the first stage is light and the wall to the second stage is just solid. The second stage breaks at just over 1 pound making the gun very easy to shoot.
On that same note this rifle is not hold sensitive like some rifles I have shot. It is also not a twangy sounding rifle. It is a little louder than my Benjamin Trail NP2 but it is not loud gun at all.
For my first shooting session I shot Crosman 14.3 grain premier Domed pellets at 15 yards.
The groups were surprising. It took about 8 pellets to get on the target, then I shot this group.

https://i.imgur.com/d8FgRYx.jpg

My next time out I wanted to get to 30 yards with the gun. I had three pellets to test that day.
First was the Air Arms Falcon 13.4 grain domed.

https://i.imgur.com/kacKYOD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/keTBsAD.jpg

The next pellet was the crosman domed 14.3 grain.

https://i.imgur.com/uCkAewz.jpg

Next was the JSB Exact Jumbo Express 14.3 grain.

https://i.imgur.com/CsvH57w.jpg

This rifle showed that all three pellets were very good compared to my break barrel guns. But it really showed it liked the Air Arms pellets.
That said the air arms pellets are really soft lead. The skirts are thin and the can be damaged quite easily. For me to get the group I had above I needed to "fix" the skirt on every pellet.
The crosman pellet were just shot as is. The JSB pellet is a troublesome pellet. WHile it didn't shoot bad I guess, it didn't shoot as well as the cheaper crosman.

After the testing I got a chance to test it out on some varmints. The first squirrel was a shot to the chest because his head was behind a stick.

https://i.imgur.com/iHE1cT5.jpg

The next day this guy shows me only his eyeball over the limb.

https://i.imgur.com/WToqIzc.jpg

I needed to do some trimming on the flock size in a shed so the TX200 was used for birds too.

https://i.imgur.com/1oc1RvQ.jpg

Well this last Monday I took the rifle out to shoot a starling. I missed! I shot at another and missed again. Well I got out a target and saw that my pellets were all over the place.
I found that my stock screws were loose. So after tightening them the rifle is back on.

The TX200 is An expensive rifle. I work in a mill for hourly wages, I am not a wealthy guy. But I wanted a gun that hits where I aim. That is what I got with the Air Arms TX200.

MT Chambers
11-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Congrats, you have chosen the best springer out there....for me it is always a toss up between my TX200 and my HW97, my TX is in .177 and likes the JSB 8.4 grainers, my HW is .22 and likes the H&N 14.66 FTT's........with your new gun you will always cherish it, and you will be glad you spent a little extra and didn't get a Walmart Special.

35 shooter
11-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Beautiful rifle. Congrats on the successful hunts with it.

Multigunner
11-03-2017, 06:41 PM
That is a real beauty. You will likely get a life time of service from it and I expect it will remain in the family for generations.

clodhopper
11-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Nice rifle, and scope combo.
Those dang starlings, Did you see one with a screwdriver?

D-RIG
11-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Thats a excellent gun right there , it will serve you well for years to come .

Multigunner
11-04-2017, 05:46 AM
I'd check the screws before each outing, for awhile at any rate.
The spring piston guns have quite a jolt when fired. The screw heads or washers under them will tend to compress the new wood till it becomes fully stable.
A touch of lock tight wouldn't hurt.
Don't over tighten.

I've made fish scale pattern embossing on leather work before. I'd considered inlaying a embossed leather panel into the grip areas of some of my guns that have wooden stocks not suitable for checkering.

I've seen very few guns with the scale pattern, its very attractive and looks to be very durable.

That is one class act.

WILCO
11-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Congratulations! Fine looking piece of hardware that can produce results.

gray wolf
11-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Check out the brass screw cups sold by mac-1
best 11.00$$ I ever spent 5 min. install and no more loose stock screws.
OH-- and good luck with the new rifle

762X51
11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Beautiful rifle. I've always wanted one but the closest I ever got was an RWS 48. Maybe one day.

keyhole
11-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Congrats on acquiring such a quality piece. It is obvious from your photo that the bluing is top notch.
With the pellets it likes, your target results are awesome. That rifle will give you pleasure for the rest of your shooting days. You will never feel the need to upgrade. I did something of the same thing back in the 80's, paying a good amount for a Weihrauch break barrel rifle. Thirty years later I have never felt the need for something "better".
What is the saying- "buy cheap, buy twice". You definitely avoided that.

Thanks for the nice report with photos.

keyhole

Fenring
11-12-2017, 05:38 AM
Sweet.

jeffs4wheeler
11-14-2017, 12:37 PM
one nice rifle

HollowPoint
11-14-2017, 01:24 PM
That's a fine looking air rifle. I've found that when shooting the 14.3 grain CPHPs they generally shoot from good to very good. I use them because they're the cheapest to buy.

The thing that determines the "Good" as opposed to the "Very Good" in terms of accuracy is the fit of each individual pellet into the chamber. Those pellets that shoot "Good" are the ones that fit loosely into the chamber. Even then they only shoot good out to twenty to twenty-five yards.

The pellets that shoot "Very Good" are the ones that fit the chamber snugly. There have been some tins of pellets I've bought that didn't shoot worth a darn; and out of that tin, most of the pellets fit very loose within the chamber of my air rifle. In fact, I could tilt my barrel downward and the pellets would just drop out by themselves. This is probably old news to most long time air gunners but, I was wondering, have you shot your new rifle enough times to notice a similar pattern in your points of impact?

I've shot mine enough times that I can tell more or less what I can expect in the way of points of impact by the way the pellets fits into the chamber and then compensate my aim from that. I mean, with a loose fit my pellets generally hit high. With a snug fit my pellets generally hit spot on and with a real snug fit my pellets hit low and to the left. When I shoot beyond 30 yards the points of impact are even more pronounced.

HollowPoint

idahoron
11-15-2017, 01:31 PM
So far all I have seen as far as tightness of the pellet when loading is the groups open up a little with the Crosman Premier domed 14.3
Most of the JSB's and H&N pellets don't shoot that great that I have seen.

Black Beard
11-21-2017, 06:06 AM
Every barrel is different. The skirts of the pellet should be large enough to stop the pellet going completely in to the bore. That way it holds the pellet back until the pressure behind it builds up enough to force the skirt down to barrel size. You get more power that way. The head needs to be be big enough to engage on the lands of the rifling. Otherwise you won't hit anything as the pellets will come out at different angles. If your pellet drops through, something is wrong- what is the rifle?
H&N field target trophy are a good bet (they are sold under several brand names). In .177, most target shooters use JSBs.

keyhole
11-21-2017, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=H&N field target trophy are a good bet (they are sold under several brand names). In .177, most target shooters use JSBs.[/QUOTE]

+1 on the H&N Field Target Trophy
I was more or less forced to change to these in my .20 Beeman/Weihrauch R10 when the long-time preferred H&N Match Wadcutters were no longer available in .20 caliber. Fortunately, the FTT are just as accurate ("precise", really) in my rifle. Groups at measured 25 yds are just as good as the Match Wadcutters, at least with my offhand ability. I had to come up a very few clicks on the sight since point of impact was slightly lower, maybe 1/2", likely due to heavier weight of the FTT.
All of the H&N's I have used, which includes the Spitzkugel, are a slight press fit into the chamber and require a gentle push with a fingertip to fully seat in the rifling. My understanding is that this is ideal since it seals the propelling air behind the pellet and keeps it firmly aligned in the rifling. I would avoid any pellet which simply drops into the chamber or some distance into the rifling. On my rifle anyway, the rifling begins at the very rear of the chamber.
Anyway, the OP has a beautiful rifle.

Themoose
11-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Ron have you started paperpatched pellets yet��

idahoron
11-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Ron have you started paperpatched pellets yet��

Ha Ha Ha, I thought about paper patching some 17 cal rifle bullets.

cbashooter
11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
I like em also.I have pair..177 and .22.they made the 22 rim fire useless IMHO.

lucifers
11-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Nice rifle.

What is the cocking effort ?

I had to sell my RWS 460 as my bad rotator cuffs made it too hard to cock.

idahoron
11-29-2017, 11:59 PM
I don't really know. It is stiff but not like a real high power springer. I just had Hernia surgery and it is eaasy to cock for me.

DCP
11-30-2017, 07:48 PM
This is a 22 is it not?

Thanks

idahoron
12-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes it is