PDA

View Full Version : Ballistol question

wildwilly501
11-03-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm using a 6 water to 1 Ballistol solution to swab and clean with.Is this ok to leave in the bore when done to prevent rust or should I dry and use straight Ballistol or something else to prevent rust.

59sharps
11-03-2017, 12:25 PM
I'm using a 6 water to 1 Ballistol solution to swab and clean with.Is this ok to leave in the bore when done to prevent rust or should I dry and use straight Ballistol or something else to prevent rust.
I clean w water and dawn soap first. dry patchs. then wd 40 to displace any remaining water. then a patch w Ballistol witch will also clean the bore a little more.

Fly
11-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what your doing.

Fly

rodwha
11-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Interesting. I know many people like Ballistol because it will mix with water but allow it to evaporate over time leaving just the oil behind. I skip WD40 and use straight Ballistol (figure it is an uneccesary step and just something else to remove) knowing any water after towel drying won't be there long. I hadn't considered mixing it with water for anything other than a patch lube to try. I may just try something like that (1:3 maybe).

OverMax
11-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Since my rifles are hunting rifles. I prefer not to use any protectant product that leaves a un-natural scent in or on metals and stock.

When done cleaning with Dawn {unscented} and plunging the bore with very hot water in a laundry tub. {tap water hot enough to make the barrel near untouchable.} I dry patch quickly._Then let the barrels heat {evaporation} finish the job. _Then run a patch down leaving a light coating of Tracks Mink Oil Tallow behind while the barrel is still warm to the touch. Although track's mink oil is not advertiser as a barrel protectant. I found it outstanding for my purpose >i.e. long term storage.

One very important to me feature of using Mink oil tallow. Absolutely no need to run a dry patch down before the barrels firing. Just charge and shoot.

I shower before my hunts. I'm assured of this> "The only thing smelling like a stinker clinker back in the woods? Isn't my rifle."

tranders
11-04-2017, 11:08 AM
When cleaning the 1851 Navy revolver I use 4 to 1 Ballistol to swab the bore and cylinder and basically spray the entire revolver. Wipe off with rags and let dry. Next day I will coat the bore and cylinder with straight Ballistol .

With my rifles I put the breech end of barrel in a bucket of Dawn and warm water. Drying with patches and then WD40. Next day same with my revolver, straight Ballistol. Once a month or so I will pull out my rifles and revolver and run a slightly oiled patch down the bores just to make sure everything is good to go.

rfd
11-08-2017, 09:02 AM
no soap, no hot water, not ever. some water soluble oil in tepid tap water, perhaps a 1:6 mix (oil:water). this goes on patches (and brushes for the lock and lock mortise - you DO take off and clean yer lock?!). after the oil:water, drying patches, then an oily patch to preserve (i use breakfree, but most any oil will do fine). i use a breakfree needle oiler for oiling all moving parts of the lock innards. clean out everything as bp gets into all the nooks and crannies. that's it. nothing else ever needed or wanted with trad sidelock muzzleloaders.

bigted
11-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Yes this method will work well in my humble opinion. I still dont trust any water left behind so i dry well and use straight ballistol or clp or rem oil for storage.

quail4jake
11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Works great on anything blackpowder, mixed with water (some) to clean then cover with a coat straight up. We reenactors foul muskets far beyond reasonable because we pour loose powder in the breech and fire without any wadding and do that until the barrel is burning hot so the residue cake is thick hard and dry. cleaning is by plugging the cone with a piece of leather and half filling the bore with warm water, repeating several times to remove sludge then wipe the bore and oil. The problem is that there is always sneaky residue left and in our humid camp environment a musket will turn orange by morning even with oil on it. I tried dilute ballistol wiping after water cleaning then wiping with straight ballistol to finish and it removes alot of residue and eliminates orange rust even at rainy events. Great stuff, tastes great, less filling!