PDA

View Full Version : .401 Sizing problem Long Post

arcticbreeze
08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I just got my new Edge 40 from DP so i had to run to the range and give it a whirl. I am using a lee six cavity 401-175-TC and i am having a problem with them not fully chambering (only was able to shoot four rounds out 100). I suspect that my Bullet sizing die not at specs. My sizing die is suposed to be .401 but after lube sizing they are .403. I also slugged my barrel and it is a tad under .401 in the groove. I took a loaded round and colored it with a sharpie and dropped it in the chamber and can see where it stops at shoulder of the bullet witch is wider than the chamber throat. I am talking about where the case mouth would head space not the free bore before the rifling. A factory round that measures .400 on the bullet just above the crimp drops in the chamber just fine. I just want to be sure that it is my bullets are to wide and not my chamber to narrow. Tonight i loaded some rounds at various lengths from 1.12 up to 1.20 OAL with the .403 sized boolets and the depth at witch the bullet will seat directly corresponds with the OAL so it is definetly not my crimp or brass. Is it normal for the sizing die to allow that much overage. If i send it back is lyman going to tell me its with in acceptable tolerance? Or do you thing I should have the barrel throated.

Thanks in advance everyone

Marc

454PB
08-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd send the sizer back. When you get one .002" larger than what you ordered, they should make it right.

cbrick
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
If i send it back is lyman going to tell me its with in acceptable tolerance?

First question is what are you using to measure with? Calibers won't be accurate to within about .001"

If the die is off by that much Lyman should make it right. If it is the die and they don't make it right ask them which they recommend, RCBS, SAECO or Star because you have purchased your last thing that says Lyman on it.

Or do you thing I should have the barrel throated.

No, you said that a .400" bullet drops in, why would you want to alter the firearm?

Rick

arcticbreeze
08-14-2008, 06:27 AM
First question is what are you using to measure with? Calibers won't be accurate to within about .001"

If the die is off by that much Lyman should make it right. If it is the die and they don't make it right ask them which they recommend, RCBS, SAECO or Star because you have purchased your last thing that says Lyman on it.

No, you said that a .400" bullet drops in, why would you want to alter the firearm?

Rick

Yes I am using dial calipers, What should I be using?

Calamity Jake
08-14-2008, 08:19 AM
"Yes I am using dial calipers, What should I be using?"

Get you a GOOD 0-1" mic that reads in .0001 (1/10,000th) Brown and Sharp, Starret, Mitutoyo or Fowler, pick one there all good. If taken care of, your great-great grandson shoule be able to use it. B&S or Mit. are the best of the 4
Digital/electronic are the easyest to use but cost more.

cbrick
08-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Calamity Jake is right, your calipers may get you close enough but they are not designed for precision measuring and absolutely not for inside measuring. If your sizing die is off by .002" it would be good enough to tell you that.

Rick

arcticbreeze
08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
The reason i am considering the throating (not chamber reaming) is to slightly increase the free bore area. I believe that is where i am having the problem. I was able this morning to find some older commercially cast bullets that measure .402 and have the same problem. I realize what you are saying about the calibers but i think that the relationship is still the same. I am going to take some pics because i am not sure that i am explaining it correctly. also if say i get a smaller sizing die i am afraid i will have other problems.

arcticbreeze
08-14-2008, 09:36 AM
This pic is not great but here it is. The boolet was colored with a sharpie than inserted into the barrel. It drops into about a 1/8' from fully chambered. this boolet is seated at 1.135 and .402 in diameter.

fourarmed
08-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Have you tried seating it deeper in the case?

arcticbreeze
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
The problem is that i can't get reliable feeding from the magazine. I would really prefer even longer, STI 40 S&W is built on the 1911 frame and prefers closer to 1.20. I can't find anything other than a tc type of mould.

truckmsl
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Had the same problem when I put a Lone Wolf barrel in my glock .40. Cast bullets sized anything over .401 would hang up just like yours. I sent Lone Wolf a dummy round and the barrel and they opened up the chamber-to- throat transition a tad and never had another problem. Accuracy is just as good as before with jacketed bullets, too.