PDA

View Full Version : cast boolits in a savage axis 223

ubetcha
10-31-2017, 05:29 PM
I just purchased a Savage Axis in 223rem recently but not had a chance to get to the range. I have some rounds already made up for my T/C Contender Super 16" 223 bbl and wanted to run them through the Axis action for fit( I don't remember if they where neck sized or not) . The jacked bullets chambered ok, but the cast would not feed properly and chamber. Looking inside at the chamber, I don't have a feed ramp. Just a squared end of bbl. The cast boolits are a NOE 55gr copy of the RCBS 55gr. Anyone come across this and is there a cast boolit design that might feed better. Looks like all cases were full length sized because if I manually fight to get the cast round chambered, the bolt does close .

Jack Stanley
10-31-2017, 05:50 PM
I use the Lyman 225462 , I tried the RCBS and it worked most of the time . As I remember there is a ramp just in front of the magazine and I had to polish that a little . RCBS was better afterwards but the Lyman round nose is flawless .

Check a sized case before loading , perhaps your size die needs to be adjusted for the new rifle .

Jack