PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing Bonanza

Thin Man
10-31-2017, 07:34 AM
A few days ago I got a call from a friend who had to tell me the following story. He had met a local reloader who was going to move to another area. He had lived locally a long time and had been a handloader for many years. In order to make this move he had decided to downsize his inventory of reloading tools and components. He was not quitting, just reducing the volume. I got the seller's name and phone number and called him to introduce myself. The next day I went to his home to see if there was anything I could use. The seller had a lot of materials, some in good condition and some rather worn. Here is what I bought:

RCBS sizer/lubricator - dusty, paint peeling in a few areas, fully functional, dated 1980 on the base. $20
Lee mold marked 358-150 SWC hollow point - stained (cleaned up well), mechanically correct. $15
Lyman mold 452374 (2X) with handles - well oiled inside, light rust outside (wiped off easily). $15
Colt 1911 magazine 9mm - blue, rampant Colt logo on base plate, never inserted in a frame, perfect condition. $20
Mec-Gar 1911 magazine 9mm - stainless steel, in a sealed factory box, never used, perfect condition. $20
Smith & Wesson factory stocks (and screws) with the factory medallion at the top of each: Stocks sets $5 each
(1) N-frame target stocks as used to be on all earlier N-frame revolvers
(1) K-frame Magna stocks dated in the 1960's (bottom edge square, not the later beveled edge)
(1) K-frame round butt finger groove set (exposed backstrap, covered front) no checkering
(1) J-frame oversize target stocks for square butt frame, original smooth (no checkering)
Powder & small parts: all for $10
1 pound AA#5, sealed can
1/2 pound Bullseye (current production, no red dust or acid smell)
Colt Commander parts - trigger, mainspring housing, grip safety, barrel bushing.

A lot of the materials I saw had been in storage for several years. He had several metal powder cans that had rust on them, bulk used rifle brass he had gathered over the years, some new brass, etc but I already had the equal (or more) of what he had to sell. He suggested he still had some bulk lead he might sell so I am waiting for him to call me on that. I would have looked over the assortment longer, but it was cold and raining and everything was in an unheated outside storage building. Maybe the weather will improve in a few days and I can go back for another look.

The RCBS sizer cleaned up nicely and is ready to be loaded with lube and put to work. I got both of the molds clean and will run some test pours with them soon. I wiped down both of the 9mm magazines and put them beside my 9mm Commander for it's next trip to the range. The grips all had that funky "storage" odor to them. I knocked the dust and debris off each set and gave them a light spray of Lysol on both sides. Wiped them down and applied a wax to the exposed surfaces, now they look 90% and have no more odor. The Commander parts are in the 1911 parts bin and the powder is ready for use. Everything is ready to get back into action and I am ready for that also.

"Finds" like this come around rarely. This was not a haggling event. The seller named his prices and I took him up on them. I used to comment that the only really interesting "finds" come from estate sales. Now I will have to add that retirement and downsizing sales can be equally exciting. All this story feels like Christmas came early this year. Forgive me for bragging, but I still can't believe all this happened.

Thin Man

lightman
10-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Nice find and Congratulations. You saved a bunch of equipment from being neglected and put it back into production. Hopefully he will call you back about the lead.

I recently bought 2800# of lead, a Star Sizer with a couple of dies and a few bullet molds from a fellow caster that is downsizing. We are going back soon for more lead and maybe some more equipment. Our deal was like you described. He ask a fair price and we accepted.

owejia
10-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Would not call your good fortune bragging, some people call it luck but I call it being blessed.

MT Gianni
10-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Wow, nice find especially on the S&W grips.

bedbugbilly
10-31-2017, 11:53 AM
He needed to get rid of it . . . . .
You could use it . . . . . .
The price was right . . . . . . .
All the makings for a great day!
What is it they say? "It's nice when the stars are aligned . . . . "

Congrats!