PDA

View Full Version : Lil dandy

barrrel
11-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Do any of you use the rcbs lil dandy powder drop? If so how does it perform?ant more consistant than regular powder measure?TIA , barrrel

Ken O
11-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I have one and use it quite a bit for pistol loads. It meters very consisant, I check weight every four or five. The first thing you learn with this is not to put it the reloading press. The quickest/easiest way is to leave the brass in the loading tray, then keep the Dandy in your hands and go right up the line of brass dumping the powder.
The one drawback is you need lots of rotors which cost $7 to $10 apiece, shop around before you order.

Hairtrigger
11-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I just gave one away. It had 4 rotors with it.
I had to post it several places before I found a taker.
The only drawback I could see in it is the fact that you need to purchase rotors as mentioned before

Buckshot
11-19-2005, 09:03 AM
............I think they're great and very fast if you have a set of favorite pistol loads. On the other hand, of you load lots of those favorite pistol loads you'd probably have a proggressive press which negates the utility of the Little Dandy, as you'd probably use the presses powder measure.

..............Buckshot

Shepherd2
11-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I used one for years until I got a progressive press. It was very consistant. I mounted mine on the stand for a powder measure. Depending on what you reload you may need a bunch of rotors. RCBS provides a chart of the different charges of different powders that you get from each rotor. Until I got the progressive it was the best and fastest thing I had found to charge pistol cases. It's still here someplace along with 6 or 8 rotors.

45 2.1
11-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Anybody that doesn't use or want theirs anymore, PM me.

Patrick L
11-19-2005, 09:30 AM
My experiences were the same as Shepard2's. Once I went progressive I didn't use the Dandy, but prior to that I thought it was the way to go. One of those plastic MTM shotgun shell boxes conveniently stores your rotors.

I bought mine from a fellow who was (and still is) a bit of an eccentric. Frank never does anything half way. He had a Dandy and 25 of the 26 original rotors (#2 - #26), all still in the little boxes. He quickly tires of whatever he is currently into, moves on, and unloads his stuff. The deal ended up being $70 for the measure, the rotors, a few hundred pieces of virgin Federal .357 brass, and a few hundred jacketed .357 bullets from various makers.

Oh, about a year later I picked up rotor #1 in a sporting goods store's bargain bin for $1.50 !

So, one rotor is in the measure, and the other 25 are in the above mentioned shotshell box. I understand that RCBS has introduced a few more sizes since the original 26, but I don't need them. I don't use the measure any more, but mine's not for sale.

boogerred
11-19-2005, 11:01 PM
ive got one i use mainly use for small "try out" loads for my revolvers.if i find one i like,ill set up one of my other measures for a larger batch.rcbs has a chart on their website and in their catalog.i use mine handheld for 20-25 rds of pistol ammo.it is consistent but ive found mine drops a grain or so light from what the chart shows.if you get a new rotor you need to degrease it first.their rust preventative will cause the powder to stick

fatnhappy
11-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I love mine for the same reasons as everyone else. I use it for almost all my cast loads, since they normally approximate pistol loadings. Most the time when my gray cells are firing I record the rotor #s in my reloading notes.

RCBS lists the rotor/powder chart at their website and they occasionally update it to include some of the newer powders.

Shepherd2
11-20-2005, 08:57 AM
fatnhappy - Thanks for the info on the rotor/powder chart. I've been meaning to contact RCBS for years about and up to date chart. I'll check out the website.

Maven
11-20-2005, 11:08 AM
barrel, I have the Lyman version of the Little Dandy + 1 dz. rotors and use it as Ken O does for loading some cartridges (rifle, with pistol powder, e.g. WC 820). It is very consistent, but YOU, the operator, must also be consistent. However, the charges dropped by the Lyman rotors don't correspond (I assume this is also true of the RCBS'.) to those listed on the chart which accompanied them. Ergo, you have to establish an average weight/rotor with a given powder (I average 4 sets of 10 drops/powder per rotor. Keep in mind that you may not want, need or use all of them.), write it down and keep that data with your rotor(s). Hope this helps!

Blackwater
11-21-2005, 03:33 AM
I wonder if someone would make up some plastic, injection moulded rotors for the LD? They could be VERY cheap, and could be sold in complete sets of 25-30 or more. Wonder if Lee'd be interested in making up a similar measure that'd be cheap and very useful?

Four Fingers of Death
11-21-2005, 07:16 AM
I think they might say that their auto disk powder measure is cheap and very useful and it also expands the case neck. You get all of the disks when you but it and you just need to get a powder though die and they throw that in free. I have a friend who has four of those RCBS reloaders that were mega expensive and load cartridges in a straight line left to right from memory, similar to the big machines used for law enforcement armourys. I asked him some time ago how they went and he said they never missed a beat. He can't be bothered changing the rotors and fiddling about, you shoot his loads or you buy elsewhere. I wouldn't mind buying his machines off him, sweet set up.

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Lazy mans way to mediocrity in loading. Don't trust verify. I never found any loading chart for powder throwers or scales that made me look twice at them they generally get discarded.

I have lil Dandy lots of rotors and use it when I load for Cast .222, .223, and 6 TCU mainly. A guy could get by with lil dandy if all he loaded was pistlo and small rifle cartridges. Throws as good as an thrower i have and I have some of the best, eight to be exact.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR