PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
10-31-2017, 06:38 AM
On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, "Let us cross over to the other side."

—Mark 4:35

One day Jesus said to His disciples, “Let us cross over to the other side.” So they boarded their boat and were cruising across the Sea of Galilee, a large freshwater lake known for its unexpected storms. And sure enough, a storm came. This one was a doozy, because even the seasoned sailors were despairing of life.

Meanwhile, what was Jesus doing? He was asleep in the boat. The disciples woke Him up and said, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” (Mark 4:38). In other words, “Hey, Lord, are You paying attention? Don’t you care that we are going through this? Wake up and do something.”

So Jesus rebuked both the storm and the disciples. He turned to the storm and said, “Peace, be still!” (verse 39), and it stopped. But then He turned to His own disciples and said, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” Jesus was saying, in effect, “Boys, you haven’t learned anything. I said, ‘Let’s cross over to the other side.’ I didn’t say, ‘Let’s go to the middle of the Sea of Galilee and drown.’ ” Jesus didn’t promise smooth sailing, but He did promise a safe passage.

It’s better to be in a storm with Jesus than anywhere else without Him. I would rather be in a fiery furnace with Jesus than in a palace without Him—or in a lion’s den with Jesus, or in a prison, or even shipwrecked. As long as I know the Lord is there, then I can get through it.

Remember, God is with you, regardless of what storm, regardless of what shipwreck you are going through right now. You are not alone. He cares. And He will never leave you or forsake you.

square butte
10-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Sometimes I think we are always in the middle of a storm and are just unaware of it. At the very least, we are moving from one storm to the next - with a bit of a pause in between. Thank you for the morning word rl69

GhostHawk
10-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Funny thing is I lived with storms of one kind or another all my life. Those outside in the world, and those tempests within.

But since I have heard the Lord's call it has been calm weather, smooth sailing.

My dad used to have a rather strange saying. When someone had an very very long stretch of nothing but good luck he would say they were "Living in God's Hip pocket"

I feel like for the last 3 years I have been living in Gods Hip Pocket.
Just quietly tucked away in a safe place with no threats, no fears.

All while the world seems to spin out of control.
Tis a little scary. But it is not my worry. It is in the Lord's hands.

buckwheatpaul
10-31-2017, 08:23 AM
” Jesus didn’t promise smooth sailing, but He did promise a safe passage." This is what causes so much despair among us we because we want to be in charge and when the disaster is evolving we forget that we put Jesus aside and tried to handle it alone.....it is so much easier when we learn to turn it over to Him and the storm subsides because Jesus is with us and is keeping us afloat.....thanks Ronnie.....Paul