PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army - Revisited

Dixie Slugs
08-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Sometime back we had a great thread on the ROA! We covered the Pros and Cons pretty well. At that time I dicussed a pre-warning (1978) ROA, (like new- maybe unfired) that I had bought.
I later decided I wanted a blued 5.5" and all you fellows helped me find one that was hand-picked NIB. I bought the gun.
I had some thoughts about the fixed sights...as most replicas have Batttle Sights and shoot high. Not so on the little 5.5". With my standard load of a .457" RB and 35 grs (bulk) of Black Mag 3...it hits point on at 30 yards. I have not shot the gun with conicals yet or run the loads over the chrono. I am convinced that both the 7.5" and 5.5" ROA's will be excellent backup guns when ML hunting on the ground.
Oh yes, I did break the 5.5" down and check the cylinder throats and grooves...both right on .454" like the old 1978 gun.
Regards, James

JesterGrin_1
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a Stainless ROA which is a 76 Model which is the 200th Liberty Model that I got new as a kid well 13 lol. I could not even start to count how many rounds I have fired through that great gun. Even took a South Texas Hog with it lol.

Great Gun everyone should have at least one of them. :)

Kuato
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
That sure is a nice lookin hog leg ya got there DS!

DLCTEX
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I was intrigued by the report of paper cartridges in the other thread, so today I stopped at the local grocery and picked up a couple packs of rolling papers. I figured they would be too small for the ROA, but thought they would work for my 36 Navy Colt. $4.79 for 64 papers! Bad thing is they are probably too small. I'll have to get to a head shop in Amarillo to see if I can get some sized for blounts. DALE

Kuato
08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey Dale, I roll for a .44 with 1.25 papers & they work just fine. I use a .454 ball.

joatmon
08-13-2008, 09:15 PM
All my Roll Yer Owns turn out Hump Back(Had the same trouble in the 70's)
:mrgreen:

Dixie Slugs
08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
It must be my old age! While the gun/ammo market seems to be rushing Pell-Mell over more velocity, short fat rounds vs long skinny rounds, and the whole wad of crap....I am going backwards and enjoy it!
After some real shoothing sessions with the 5/5" ROA.....It's now my "packing" gun!......how's that for regression!
I have also switched back to my .50 ML more! After close to 50 years of the Gun and Ammo businss.....I have about burned out on this mad rush to all the new toys.
Here is Florida, most WMA's are overstocked wih hogs...big time. We have a very long Small Game season on WMA's and most allow ML's for wild hog. The areas are not run over with people during Small Game season and you can wander/hunt and just plain enjoy the ML's. I am not the only one either. This year we plan a real laid-back ML hunting camp on the Gulf Coast Shired Island. Just some ML hunting, good cooking, smoked pig, and BS sessions! If the weather is right...maybe some fishing too!
So....maybe you all should think about regressing some also!
Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs

bigbore442001
08-27-2008, 09:12 PM
James:

Not to be too nosey but I was somewhat intrigued by the comment you made about the wildlife management areas overstocked with feral hogs. Things must have changed since I was hunting in the Sunshine State about fifteen years ago. I used to hunt on this big ranch in Polk County and my guide friend commented that the local wildlife management areas didn't offer really good hunting. He commented that hunters shoot one or two meat sized hogs a season on the management areas as compared to private land. Then again this is going back to 1993.

Dixie Slugs
08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Things have changed a great deal as far as hogs are involved in the past 15 years.. Both deer and hogs eat acrons in the Fall. This is the prime time to put fat on. Other than acrons, deer must browse. Hogs on the other hand are rooters for all typed of tubers....and will feed heavy on fish and crabs.
Then take into consider a female sow can breed at six months old and then have two liiters a year. Even at an average of six pigs...and you can run the math on them. They are displacing deer on some woodland ranges.....and spreading rapidly. The coastal areas are running over with hogs indeed.
On private land there is now no season and on Gov't land they are considered game animals.
But that is not all....unlike deer, hogs do revert to a more primitive animal. As they do, they seek more remote areas. We are seeing very large boar hogs along the West Coast. The expansion of the hog ranges is both an asset and a debit.....depending on your animal choice to hunt.
The situatiom is becoming a problem with the deer hunting cult....but not to the meat hunter. The expansion migration of hogs follow river bottoms.
The major problem is that hunters have for years seen smaller feral hogs and have hunted them with light rifles....that is changing very fast. From a safe tree stand where they snipe at deer, will still be fine for light rifles and picking an ear shot......but can get you cut up bad on the ground. But...few listen to those that hunt the big hogs....so we just let them be cut up!
Regards, James

Rattus58
08-28-2008, 12:28 AM
The major problem is that hunters have for years seen smaller feral hogs and have hunted them with light rifles....that is changing very fast. From a safe tree stand where they snipe at deer, will still be fine for light rifles and picking an ear shot......but can get you cut up bad on the ground. But...few listen to those that hunt the big hogs....so we just let them be cut up!
Regards, James

One thing you learn quickly if you understand feral pigs, whether russian stock or not, is that pigs is Americas most underrated dangerous game.

Aloha... :cool:

Dixie Slugs
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
I HEAR THAT INDEED!.....Regards, Jams

missionary5155
08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
If you were going to buy a Ruger Old Army which barrel length would you go with ? I would use it primarily to plink. Probably carry it about in the woods and ocasionaly hunt racoons or groundhods in thich stuff with about 20 yards or less visibility.

shotguneddy
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
The 7 1/2 inch version with adjustable sights would serve you well.

shotguneddy
08-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Have you seen this loader at www.sixgunforfun.com ?

Dixie Slugs
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I have both lengths! As I said before, I was concerned about the fixed sights on the 5.5 ROA. I suppose I would buy the 7.5 " because of the adjustable sights. That way you could shoot plinking loads, etc.
As for a "Packing Gun", I like the 5.5" better....but, it's all what you like!
Regards, James

Dixie Slugs
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Yes, I have seen those (and other loading) tools! But, remember that on the 5.5" version of the ROA.....you have to take the lever latch/screw loose to remove the cylinder. I have had no trouble seating the round balls in the 5.5", even with its shorter loading lever though. Conicals were a little rough though.
I do not worry too much about reloading in the field, since using it as a backup...if the existing six shots did not work....there is no time to change cylinders, etc.
And....the replacement cylinders for 45 Colt cartridges...on the 5.5", you would have the take the loading lever catch/screw out to reload the cylinder with cartridges.
So...again it all depends on what you are using the gun for....whether you go with the more compact 5.5" or the standard 7.5"
Regards, James

JesterGrin_1
08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I would have to agree to go with the 7 1/2 inch version with adjustable sights. And I tend to like the Stainless version. But purchase what ever version you like. I still feel the Ruger Old Army is the Rolls Royce of the group no matter which model. :)

oldhickory
09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I just picked-up a gently used 7 1/2" stainless with the adjustable sights today, I can hardly wait to see how it shoots!

SWIAFB
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
oldhickory, I bought her twin sister last Saturday.

oldhickory
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
oldhickory, I bought her twin sister last Saturday.

Wow!...When I first picked this thing up my first thoughts were, "Yep, I need this."The quality seems even better than their Black Hawk series! I'm impressed! If it shoots ANYTHING like it looks and feels, it's a 10x'r!

GOPHER SLAYER
09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I just have to throw in my two cents worth. I have been facinated with cap and ball pistols for over forty years and all who thought as I did were thrilled when the Italian companys started to make them. Of course it didn't take long before are excitment was cooled. The guns just wouldn't shoot.They had little are no rifleing. I was sure my problems would be solved when Ruger brought out the old army.I bought one as soon as I could,only to find I had bought another problem.The beast was way too heavy for one handed target shooting. Ruger must have thought we were going to load the thing with a chamber full of bullseye. I thought of milling off some of the excess material but I just peddled the gun instead.

Dixie Slugs
09-24-2008, 07:02 PM
What can I say? The ROA's are on the heavy side, but I like the weight for control. We have been doing some chrono work with various loads. Lots have been posted on Beartooth Bullets (beartoothbullets.com). We have settled on the load we will be using during ML season as a backup gun when we are hog hunting on the ground. It consists of 35 grs (by volume) of Black Mag 3 - 230 gr conical (Alox lubed) - WW BP #11 caps - CVA cap guards. This load shoots point on out of my ROA 5/5" at 30yards. I can tell no difference in the group size between to 7.5" and 5.5" guns. We tested Triple Seven and it gave about the same velocity/accuracy as Black Mag 3....but built up a crud ring on the face of the Treso/Ampco nipplesand started missfiring and delay.
The same load of 35 grs of Black Mag 3 - 457" round ball- Ox Yoke under the ball -Ox Yoke Grease seal over the ball - WW BP #11 caps - Ox Yoke grease seal on the ball. Shot to same point of aim at 30 yards as did the conicals out of the 5,5". Shot lower that the conicals in the 7.5". Less penetration as the conicals, but expanded to .605".
Our next project is the install a Kirst Koverter and run it through some tests.
Regards, James

oldhickory
09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
I just have to throw in my two cents worth. I have been facinated with cap and ball pistols for over forty years and all who thought as I did were thrilled when the Italian companys started to make them. Of course it didn't take long before are excitment was cooled. The guns just wouldn't shoot.They had little are no rifleing. I was sure my problems would be solved when Ruger brought out the old army.I bought one as soon as I could,only to find I had bought another problem.The beast was way too heavy for one handed target shooting. Ruger must have thought we were going to load the thing with a chamber full of bullseye. I thought of milling off some of the excess material but I just peddled the gun instead.

The weight doesn't bother me a bit! I like this thing!:Fire:

Dixie Slugs
09-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I supose Ole' Dixie approached the ROA from a direction most do not.I am not into Cowboy Shooting or looking for the Civil War thing. What I have been looking for is a powerful reliable sidearm for backup while muzzle loading hunting...pure and simple. As for ML hunting..I am not into In-Lines either.
I started ML'ing hunting long befroe it became the fad it is now.....just for the pure fun of it! Back then there was still very nice Remigton 1858's floating around that had not yet reached the collector level the Colt had. So..we all had one or two. Of course they had battle sights and shot too high, but we learned to adjust our sight picture. They were nice guns, but in no way matched the ROA.
Due to the area we hunt, close in shots are the thing. What I wanted was a handgun that would drive a ball/conical through the skull of a big hog or make it through the shoulder sheild. The regular 44's and 38's will not! It takes at least 35 grs of powder to do that....under at least a 230 gr conical! When we talk about weight...have you pick up a Colt Walker indeed?
Also....I am not a traditionalist that calls balckpowder "Holy Black" or wears buckskins either. That's why I use Black Mag #3. If the old timers had that powder they would have used it big time.
What we do see now is everyday shooters picking up ROA's to play with.....just for the fun of it. That also goes for one of the cartridge conversion cylinders indeed.
Look at it this way...would you carry a 1911 45 ACP? Would you think it was a good backup for general use? Well, friends the ROA with 35 grs of powder and a 230 gr conical will match the 1911's ballistics hands down!...check it out!
In the past I think the ROA was neither Fish or Fowl. It just did not seem to fit the period...whatever that might be! What it was, as is, remains the finest cap and ball handgun ever made!
So...for whatever reason Ruger decided to stop making then is of no concern. Those of us that use then know what it can do! Better find one while they are still floating around! It's a small invertment compared to the simple fun they provide!
Regards, James

oldhickory
09-25-2008, 07:47 AM
I look at it as a fine sporting gun, something I can relax with and have a pleasant time with, nothing more...Nothing less! :drinks:

Bret4207
09-25-2008, 07:47 AM
I've wanted an ROA for years. There is a stainless x7.5 model at a shop nearby. I believe the ROA is discontinued now? I may take another look, but stainless just isn't my choice. If it's that or nuthin' though, I can take it.

I'd alos like to get a '61 Navy or 2, and a Dragoon or Walker. My reading of Louis Lamour and Elmer lit this fire. Someday....

Dixie Slugs
09-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Excellent posts indeed!
Now, I would like to say that all the ROA tests run easy and correct, but in a real world that seldon happens! We make certain assumptions that blow up in our face! So it is with these spourts on powder flasks. Have you really ever checked to see if yours is dropping the weight it says? I had not until this morning!
Well, the so-called 35 grs spout is dropping only 32 grs of powder....and that's less chamber space than 35 grs by volume.
Here's how your check it. In the case of the spout saying 35 grs of powder. Fill it with FFFg and drop the load into your powder scale pan. That spout is supposed to drop (by volume) 35 grs of FFFg...supposed is the word! Then by re-filling the flask with your choice of powder...it shou;d thow (by volume) the same volume as 35 grs of FFFg....but this spout is dropping 32 grs of FFG.
This is no real problem, except when you have been posting chrono numbers based on what you thought was a true 35 grs by volume!
And....if you think you are going to get a Lee conical inti the chamber with a true 35 gr volume charge....think again!
This again is no real problem as 32 grs of Black Mag 3 and a 230 gr conical was matching the 45 ACP.
You can get a round ball in onto of 35 grs of FFg and an Ox Yoke under the ball, but not the longer conical!
So...any chrono numbers I have posted here or on Beartooth is really for 32 grs.....punt!
It's better to iron out all this kiinks now and reduce the hair pulling later. Another little item. With a small brush, paint the conical with Lee Alox. Let it dry and then you have an excellent all weather lube for your backup gun.
Regards, James.

oldhickory
09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I've wanted an ROA for years. There is a stainless x7.5 model at a shop nearby. I believe the ROA is discontinued now? I may take another look, but stainless just isn't my choice. If it's that or nuthin' though, I can take it.

I'd alos like to get a '61 Navy or 2, and a Dragoon or Walker. My reading of Louis Lamour and Elmer lit this fire. Someday....

Yes, they are discontinued now. I prefer the stainless model myself, no bluing to worry over, and it looks great! Had a blued one in the 70s and traded it off on something else, as I recall it was very acurate, but this ss model I just bought is probably the slickest Ruger revolver I've ever owned.

John Taylor
09-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Have had several ROA's over the years. First one was a 3 digit S/N with a brass grip frame. About 15 years back I found out that the one I had at the time liked 2F. Knocked down the 200 yard target with it. My eyes were a bit better then. Got a SS one in the shop that I took in on trade and haven't fired it yet.

DLCTEX
09-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Talk about seating a conical over 35 gr., I've had to whittle off boolit noses in order to get the cylinder to get around to where the boolit could be shot out. A few of those will make you cautious about too much powder. DALE

oldhickory
09-26-2008, 06:24 AM
I'll just say that the Ruger Old Army is a masterpiece!

Dixie Slugs
09-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Speaking of conicals....I found that the 230 gr Lee Conical with 30/32 grs (volume) will get into the chambers OK...The chrono figires I did with the Lee conical was with 32 grs of Black Mag 3 or 35 grs of Triple Seven.
I think there is some merit to the idea of cutting the chambers back a little to reduce the depth of the cones on the back of the chambers. I can't see were it would reduce the strength of the cylinders since they are over designed.
But really how much more velocity do you reallt need when shooting pure lead bullets/balls?
Even at 32 grs/conicals or 35 grs/round ball....the ROA is still more powerful that the Clones with 25 grs of powder.
My next project is to be with a Kirst and loaded cartridges. That seems to be the best of both worlds...a switch cylinder working revolver. There are some great molds out there now aimed at Cowboy shooting to be used in brass. I think the ones that weigh betweeen 200 grs and 220 grains would be excellent if they were round nose. Magna has a few great looking ones indeed. Even their 240 gr looks like it would fit.
I do think that if there had been more tests...chrono, etc....there would have been more everyday shooters involved with the ROA. Based on emails, etc...I am seeing a stong re-newed interest in this great revolver indeed. Maybe this Classic will find the level it should have been on....a greart cap & ball working revolver!
There are many sitting around not being used. It may be time to re-think on this one!
Regards, James

oldhickory
09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Where's the other thread on ROAs, I would like to read it.

Dixie Slugs
09-26-2008, 08:09 PM
The other thread is over at Beartooth Bullets (beartoothbullets.com) in muzleloadering as ROA - Odds and Ends.
I have tried to post on these two forums that had real people on them! I have been involved with Beartooth since 2000, before I found the great fellows here on Cast Boolits! Now, these are the two that I look at each day! I have done a few posts on our Dixie Slugs forum, but most research is here and on Beartooth. The Beartooth fellows are big on handguns and the fellows here are big on cast bullets...so that's the best of both worlds indeed.
I have been involved in cast bullet designs for some time and my new project will be cast bullet\ designs for use in the ROA with a cartridge conversion cylinder.
Regards, James

big dale
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
OK for you guys that have never used a ROA in the stainless don't do as I did once back in the 70's when my ex was out of town over a week and I had the bright idea to save some time cleaning the gun by removing the grips and putting the ROA in the dishwasher. I forgot about after turning on the dishwasher and about a week later I found that it had rusted to the most hideous color of orange that I had ever seen. It took a lot of polishing to get it back into shape and The wife was not happy with the way I had mistreated her dishwasher.

I never should have traded that gun off. I don't even remember what I traded it for.

Big Dale

Dixie Slugs
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Wonderful indeed! But,,we all have many a story of some dumb thing we have done. Here's one that is not directly related to guns. One night we ran down a very big Red Fox...rare in Florida. I saved the tail and was going to peal out the bone the next morning. I hung it in the line house and forgot it. We were a week out driving cows into the pens. When we opened the line house door we were met with the smell! We tore up about half of the line house looking for dead rats or whatever. Where the boys finallly found that fox tail, they threw me into the horse's water trough!
Regards, James

Lucky Joe
10-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I have been involved in cast bullet designs for some time and my new project will be cast bullet\ designs for use in the ROA with a cartridge conversion cylinder.
Regards, James

Sounds good, keep us posted. Thanks.

kingstrider
06-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Love my stainless model, it is one of my most cherished guns in fact.

dualsport
01-28-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm going to try the Lee 230 gr. ROA boolit with LLA in my ROA. Anybody tried this? I plan to use a wad under the boolit and grease over the top.

jjjefferson
04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I've used the LEE 230s in my ROA....You do need to reduce the load down to about 30grs but the added UMPH of the big conical makes up for the lower velocity. I took a buck with it 2 years ago. Put one in the boiler room from my self climber at about 25 yards. He ran about 50 yards and collapsed.

JJ

stubshaft
04-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm going to try the Lee 230 gr. ROA boolit with LLA in my ROA. Anybody tried this? I plan to use a wad under the boolit and grease over the top.

If you are going to put a wad underneath the boolit then you don't have to put grease on top, and if you put grease on top you don't need lube. I tried the LLA and used with just a wad it did not soften the fouling at all and leaded the barrel. With grease on top of the boolit and no wad I got no leading. With grease on top and no LLA i got no leading either so I did away with the extra step.

stubshaft
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM

One of the advantages with SS Brett, is that if your ROA shoots high with conicals then you can get a higher front blade from a Blackhawk and replace the blade. Mine shot 5" - 6" high at 25 yds compared to the standard ball load.

Aaron
04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyone know where any more of the blues 5.5 inch fixed sight ones can be purchased?

Thanks

lonewolf5347
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Question: I had a friend cast me some .456 200 Gr. round nose for the ROA but it seem hard to get the bullet under the loading lever with out 3 hands helping?
I wonder if you need a separate loading stand for conicals?

dualsport
04-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Not in my experience. Just stick that boolit over the chamber and lever it in. Re-reading this thread gave me a question; did Ruger start putting the 'Warning' on the ROA at some point? I have two 7.5s, one needs a new barrel. On a side note, years ago I sent the rough one in to Ruger for a repair that was not a legitimate warranty claim. They fixed it no charge and sent it back to me on their dime.

Dixie Slugs
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, Ruger did put a "Warning" on the barrels of later ROA. I have a pre-warning (made in 78) and a fitted 5 1/2" later one with the warning on the barrel..
There is a ROA page that gives the year/serial numbers. I found it by doing a search for ROA's.
It looks like the supply is drying up and the prices are going up pretty high.
Regards, James

Char-Gar
04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
About 6 years ago I bought a Ruger ROA (blue steel, 7.5" and fixed sights) and stuck in in my safe and there it sits today unfired. I know about the wear on the blue and the penchant to rust, but I take care of my guns and I wanted something very traditional.

When I got the pistol, there was heat scale on the inside of the barrel where they had soldered the front sight and barrel under lug. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel for free.

Someday, I am going to have to get it out and fire the darn thing. Probably will be fun. I also have one of those Colt 2nd Model reissue Dragoons that I have never fired. Going to to get my round tuit, some day.

Geraldo
04-21-2011, 01:08 PM
About 6 years ago I bought a Ruger ROA (blue steel, 7.5" and fixed sights) and stuck in in my safe and there it sits today unfired. I know about the wear on the blue and the penchant to rust, but I take care of my guns and I wanted something very traditional.

When I got the pistol, there was heat scale on the inside of the barrel where they had soldered the front sight and barrel under lug. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel for free.

Someday, I am going to have to get it out and fire the darn thing. Probably will be fun. I also have one of those Colt 2nd Model reissue Dragoons that I have never fired. Going to to get my round tuit, some day.

Come on, Chargar, defile those safe queens! My first experience with C&B was one of complete ignorance and I didn't enjoy it. Now older and more educated I can't get enough of them. There is nothing like outshooting ARs on the 50 yard range with a .36 C&B revolver.

Captain*Kirk
04-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Come on, Chargar, defile those safe queens! My first experience with C&B was one of complete ignorance and I didn't enjoy it. Now older and more educated I can't get enough of them. There is nothing like outshooting ARs on the 50 yard range with a .36 C&B revolver.

I'm with Geraldo here. There are some out there that would KILL for an unfired ROA! Either sell it to one of them...at a premium...or BESMIRCH that thing and make it real, real dirty![smilie=w:

dualsport
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM
If anybody wants a NIB ROA I know where there's two for sale about $500 each.

pietro
05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I cased my 7-1/2" stainless ROA, installed silver/black lamo Lett grips, and bought/installed an R&D .45 Colt accessory cylinder for it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056075/CapnBall.jpg

The Patterson & the 1860 Army (both on folding loading stands) just keep it company, nights. [smilie=l:

MikeS
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I have a ROA in stainless 7.5" pre-warning that I bought many many years ago. I've only shot about 120 shots (rounds?) thru it, using pyrodex. I really like this pistol, and hope to soon find a range where I can shoot it. There are only 2 outdoor ranges, one in a county park, and they run it with super strict rules to the point that it's just not fun shooting there, and the other is a private club that I haven't joined yet (but plan to soon).

I have a question. And before I ask it, I want to say that I've heard everyone saying "Don't do it!", and I don't plan on doing it, I'm just curious as to the why of it. My question is this: What is the reason you can't use smokeless powder in a ROA? I'm not talking about full house loads, but something very mellow, like say 3gr of Trail Boss. I'm asking, as I see there are 45LC conversions out there, and you can use smokeless in them (again, with very light 'Cowboy' loads), and I really doubt the conversion cylinders are any stronger than the Ruger original cylinder. So I'm wondering what is it about muzzle loading revolvers (specifically the ROA) that stops the use of smokeless in them?

Again, please don't reply if you're just going to say 'Don't do it!', I'm interested in the why part of the answer. I have a theory, and that is because the #11 caps are not strong enough to hold back the expanding gasses of smokeless, and I came to that conclusion because it's the only component that's different from a modern cartridge. Am I correct? Thanks!

Erich
05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Without getting into the advisability of it (other than to say that I'm sure it's not recommended and that you're responsible for anything you do to yourself or others), I know someone who's done it, and he reports (this can be found online) that lack of crimp is also a factor. He reports peak performance drops off after a certain level of charge, because there's nothing keeping the ball in place.

missionary5155
06-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Good morning
There is also the issue of the percussion cap and nipple. No dought the cylinders are strong enough but the weak link in this chain is pointing right back at the shooters head.
Mike in Peru

Onty
06-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Here is interesting article about using 45-255-SWC in ROA (http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=525&sid=35ce29fd9b4368579596c3884cae008a&start=10). A big issue is how to push boolit into chamber without damaging its base. It has to be perfectly centred and squared before pushing it in. When loading ball or REAL, this is not a problem. I was thinking what could be done and one of the most obvious solution is to make a very small counterbore. Assuming that most of RAO cylinder chambers are .454 dia, I would think that boolit should be ideally .0455-.0456. In that case, counterbore should be about .457-.458, up to .030 deep, with transitional cone 5-11°, same as on revolver barrel forcing cone. I’ve got this idea from ˝M˝ Lyman reloading dies.

Nobade
06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
You don't want to go cutting a counterbore in the front of your cylinder, it will cause all sorts of havoc. Just buy a mould that throws a rebated base bullet, like the one Dick Dastardly sells that is just for the ROA. That bullet and a loading stand work very well together.

Onty
06-07-2011, 09:10 PM
You don't want to go cutting a counterbore in the front of your cylinder, it will cause all sorts of havoc. Just buy a mould that throws a rebated base bullet, like the one Dick Dastardly sells that is just for the ROA. That bullet and a loading stand work very well together.

Thanks for the tip. I am assuming you are talking about this one:

http://www.biglube.com/Images/DD-PUK-ROA-II-1045_WEB_PROF.jpg

After watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQVu3d3NpxU) , I started thinking about similar load (http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72845). Heck, ROA recoils here like real gun, not like pea shooter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDgtp7Nlsbg&NR=1).

After reading what Marshall Stanton wrote (http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=2414) proposing larger meplat dia, I might try to design something that will combine Marshall's ideas with boolit from Dick Dastardly website, most likely with weight about 250 grains, 2 deep grease grooves and meplat .360 dia .

MikeS
06-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Well, While thinking about smokeless powder in the ROA, I went ahead and bought an R&D (now Howells) conversion cylinder. So now I can shoot 45LC in it, as well as BP in either the original cylinder, or the conversion! When using Triple 7 in cartridges, how far do I have to disassemble a revolver after shooting it? I also have a Cimmaron Thunderer that I'm having converted from 44 special to 45LC & 45ACP, and if I shoot 45LC loaded with 777 what else do I have to lookout for that's different than smokeless? (I'm talking firearm wise, I think I know how to load the BP cartridges, just not sure on the gun prep, and cleaning.) Thanks!

MikeS
06-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Out of curiosity I looked up my serial number to see when my ROA was made, and I have one made in 1977 (I should have known that, I bought it when I graduated from HS, and that was in 77! Anyway, over the years, were there any improvements made to the ROAs, or any weaknesses I should look out for in an older model such as mine?

I've only ever shot Pyrodex out of my ROA, does it shoot better with T7, or real BP? About a year ago I bought a package of the 30gr 'pistol' Pyrodex pellets, are they the only pellets that will work in a ROA? The pellets sure do make loading a much easier task than using a powder measure/flask combo. I saw on utube a video of a guy using a special powder measure that it turns out was a prototype, and never went into production, too bad, it looked real nice!

Bomber
06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I have 2 ROA's. One I bought new in about 1976, the other one belonged to my Dad, he bought his right after I got mine.
I have hundreds of round balls though mine.
Its a great gun. Wish I had bought a stainless one to add to the collection.

Nobade
06-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi Onty, looks like you are on the right track with your bullet design. And you're right, loaded to its limit the ROA is sure no peashooter!