PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with people without brains

johnho
08-13-2008, 09:23 AM
This is the one website where overall the intelligence of the members and commentors is well above average, at least in my opinion. I am so sick of reading on other shooting forums about how dangerous it is to shoot lead bullets. One poster said that the trend in indoor ranges is to require plated or jacketed bullets because of lead exposure from lead bullets. Let's all follow the leader and not question anything or do any research on our own now.

I enjoy this site because the people here are thinkers, ok, most are :-D. What happened to people who challenge what others say, or at least have enough brain cells to question something and look for more information? No, it's easier to follow the leader, even if the leader knows not of what he/she speaks. Lead is hazardous and must be banned from shooting say some. No need to use common sense when shooting like washing your hands before eating that sandwich regardless of what you are shooting. Water is dangerous so lets ban that too.

Very few question what political candidates say and accept everything out of their mouths as facts. We are not in good shape either as a country or in our shooting hobbies.

Last rant: Remember when all we heard about was "global warming"? These fearmongers had to change that to "climate change" because they couldn't support that claim very well. Now they cover anything that happens to the climate and it's all man's fault. bunk.

Sorry, had to vent. I get so frustrated with the sheep today. Mark my words, there will be a major effort to ban lead bullets, it's already started. I will have to get copper paint soon to spray all those lead bullets to look like plated ones. Hmmmm, good idea.:drinks:

Old Ironsights
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the Misanthropes Club. We're always glad to get new members.

It almost completely fails to affect our disdain for humanity in general.

Now, piss off. ;) :mrgreen:

gasboffer
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Sheep and parrots! Get used to it.
Clyde

mike in co
08-13-2008, 10:11 AM
one of the indoor ranges i service does not allow any ammo which has exposed lead. this is from thier ins co. no liabilty from breathing any extra lead. so no bare 22's only copper or such coated bullets, no cast boolits, no factory lead, no partial jacketed ...

they check your ammo going in, and have cameras on every shooting lane.

mike in co

DLCTEX
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Blackrifleshooter was telling me of a guy on another site who is suing S&W because he blew away part of his thumb by getting it in front of the cylinder on a 460. It almost happened to a guy one of my other sons let shoot his 480 Ruger, he was getting a good wrap on the cylinder to steady the gun. The S&W manual tells you to NOT get hands and fingers near front of cylinder, but the guy said it's a defective design. DALE

gray wolf
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
JOHNHO_______ You are so correct my friend.

I am in your camp, I get so sick and tired of the go along to get along sheep it makes me puke :Fire: :Fire:
Everyone is so afraid of not being part of the pact that they eat sh-t if everyone Else is. Me for one I take nothing for face value and try to find out for myself what the true story is. The neocon globalists scum have got Soooooooo many people trained and in there camp and it is pathetic. Drugged out, dumbed down in school,
consensus thinking. Oh man don't get me started on this one.
So just let me say again that yes I think you are correct.

End rant.

GW.

Old Ironsights
08-13-2008, 10:18 AM
one of the indoor ranges i service does not allow any ammo which has exposed lead. this is from thier ins co. no liabilty from breathing any extra lead. so no bare 22's only copper or such coated bullets, no cast boolits, no factory lead, no partial jacketed ...

they chaek your ammo going in, and have cameras on every shooting lane.

mike in co

And yet, most "FMJ" handgun ammo actually has an exposed lead base... allowing for all of that nice lead vaporization that you don't get from a GasChecked cast boolet.

I cant wait for society to collapse.

Scrounger
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Sheep and parrots! Get used to it.
Clyde

CarpetMan will be calling you. Sheep he knows about and will be glad to exchange stories with you. And he will be wanting to know about the parrots... He has probably tried chickens and ducks but never thought of using parrots.

Ricochet
08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
A young man with a wild and multi-coloured hairstyle sits next to an old man on a park bench. The old man stares at the young man.

"What's the matter, old man?" says the young man. "Never done anything crazy in your life?"

The old man replies: "Yeah. When I was in the Navy, I got really drunk one night and had sex with a parrot. I thought you might be my son."

trickg
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
I think that this thread calls for a couple of my favorite quotes from Albert Einstein:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

--Albert Einstein

Living in a fairly densely populated area, I'm always surprised how people will simply blindly accept things that are spoon fed to them, and they don't think things through before they do some of the stupid things they do. I used to think that it was worse in a high population area, but anymore, I'm not so sure. The last time I was in my small hometown (pop. apprx 2000) I saw the same thing - I think that it's less prevelant simply because there are fewer people.

44man
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, WW's that fall off of cars and lay alongside the roads are also killing everyone! :confused: Funny how millions of civil war boolits were dug up in pristine condition with the protective lead oxide on them. We should force everyone living near battlefields to move to Kalifornia! :mrgreen:
But then the liberals let their kids find the WW's and chew on them, why else are they brain dead?
I have been driving something for 56 years and never lost a WW. If what the jerks say is true, we should be able to pick up a life times supply of lead by walking the roads for a mile or so. They should be a foot deep. Parking lots should be full of them.
Back door gun control is all it is.

Echo
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Sanford's Axiom: "Half the people in the US are below average in intelligence." EasyEd's Corrolary: "..And they vote".

Someone a lot smarter than I once said 'People who follow rules never make progress'.

And a big Plus One on backdoor gun control.

leftiye
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Scrounger, don't ferget the ducks!

Kuato
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Ha! Here in Miami, if you could get 90% of the people & put their brains together , it'd still rattle inside a peanut shell....

Marlin Junky
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
The indoor range issue revolves around lead dust in the air from boolits fragmenting on hardened steel backstops. I don't really have a problem with requiring an FMJ type bullet for indoor range shooting (personally, I don't shoot indoors). Everyone wants to be protected from liability during these urban-centric legalistic times, so I don't blame anyone for trying to protect themselves against a lawyer attack. Blame it on the liberal justice system.

The wheel weight issue is another story that probably has roots in economics as well as environmentalism. China and India need all the Pb they can get their hands on and there are no environmentalists over there. Vote Republican. :mrgreen:

MJ

Heavy lead
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
:Fire::twisted::drinks:
That's all I got to say. Deal with the smf all the time. Got to go Swearingen on them.

Wayne Smith
08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Ha! Most of the lead exposure from indoor ranges comes from lead oxide from primer dust, not the bullets downrange. A new FBI range had to be closed because the air exhaust from the shooting positions circulated back to the shooting positions and lead became measurable. Had nothing to do with the bullets downrange.

I avoid indoor ranges.

BTW, global warming is true, it's happening, and we have nothing to do with it. We are warming up from an unusual cold period, it's been here since the 1500's. Remember, people used to raise sheep and cattle on Greenland.

Heavy lead
08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
And grow wine grapes in the british ilse.
But this summers been pretty cool in the great lakes, maybe a gore fixed the problem, like he invented the internet. good man, that al!
hmmmm! what would we call them- culets, brasslets, bronzelets? we'll just need a hotter boolit melter!

Calamity Jake
08-13-2008, 04:29 PM
"The indoor range issue revolves around lead dust in the air from boolits fragmenting on hardened steel backstops. "

Lead dust is heavier than air and will not float in the air for more than second or two.

Ricochet
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Lead oxide smoke from primers OTOH is fine enough to stay suspended for a long time and to get down into the lungs when inhaled.

nighthunter
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Dear Johnho,
Get over it. On average you are going to personally meet one dumb SOB every day of your life. This is an average. Some days it will be zero and some days it will make up for the difference. Because we are few in number with our fixation with lead bullets we are a target for lawyers and the "anti whatever I think needs changed" people. I think we will prevail as long as we keep our heads together and do what needs to be done in the political arena. Lawyers have too much power over our lives today. Its all in the name of a dollar. I'm sure you have seen the adds on television where the lawyer says " And there is no fee unless we get money for you ". This is lowering the standard of life in this country. Too much ranting on my part allready.

Nighthunter

PineTreeGreen
08-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Pardon my comment,but my Grandfather used to say"Some people don't know if thier ass is bored,reamed or punched with a screwdriver."
The latest round of political BS is proving it. I may not be the sharpest tack in the box,but I cannot understand why someone would spend that much money to try to get elected to an office that pays $400,000 per year. Unless it involves one heck of a dental plan. :confused:

Ricochet
08-13-2008, 08:43 PM
It's kind of like that old quote "I wouldn't belong to any club that would accept me," but I'm reluctant to vote for someone who wants to be elected.

randyrat
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
And grow wine grapes in the british ilse.
But this summers been pretty cool in the great lakes, maybe a gore fixed the problem, like he invented the internet. good man, that al!
hmmmm! what would we call them- culets, brasslets, bronzelets? we'll just need a hotter boolit melter!
Second that. Here in Wisconsin we had 45 deg 2 nights this week and one long cold spring. Ata boy Al

cajun shooter
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm happy for all you members who avoid indoor ranges. Move to Baton Rouge or within 20 miles like I do. We have no outdoor public ranges for over 75 mile range. All surrounding areas are private and posted. If you want to shoot we have two available indoor ranges that allow any bullet as of now. Be happy with what you have but don't be in a hurry to change the rules when they don't effect you. Just like taxes and voting; Don't tax you Don't tax me but tax the man hiding behind the tree. Later

Alchemist
08-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the Misanthropes Club. We're always glad to get new members.

It almost completely fails to affect our disdain for humanity in general.

Now, piss off. ;) :mrgreen:

AH...a fellow O'Reilly Factor watcher....Do ya reckon Bill is a Cast Boolits lurker???

Salmon-boy
08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Lemmings....

All you have to do is watch the cars ahead of you on the highway go around a turn. One person will hit the brakes and it will cascade back to you.

Seems that people can only look at the bumper in front of them, not think far enough ahead to let off the accelerator.

BTW, in Boston, we have this thing called "Right of way". I'm right and you're in my way..

Want a laugh? Read http://www.stophandgunviolence.org/

hunter64
08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I remember when I was little the "Russians are going to get us".
Then it was the killer bee's up thru Mexico and Texas.
Then we are going to run out of oil and be flying cars on Nitrogen by 2000.
Then it was the sharks are going to get us coincidently right when Jaws was out.
Then we are going into an "Ice Age" and we are all going to be in -40 all the time.
Then AIDS was going to ravage the world and we were all going to die.
Then the "Global Warming" crap started as a way to transfer money from the rich to the poor countries.
Then the Year 2000 was going to wipe out the entire banking system of the world and we would all be living in shack's in the wilderness like the 1600's.

Did I miss anything?

I do know that when I visit an indoor range I feel light headed and very queasy (similar to how I feel when I have to deal with the ex) after about 30 minutes, not sure if that is lead or something else so I avoid going there and only visit the outdoor range.

Old Ironsights
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
AH...a fellow O'Reilly Factor watcher....Do ya reckon Bill is a Cast Boolits lurker???

Never seen it. I don't have a TV. If I had a TV to interject humanity into my home/refuge I would have built a cobalt bomb by now.

Old Ironsights
08-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I remember when I was little the "Russians are going to get us".
Then it was the killer bee's up thru Mexico and Texas.
Then we are going to run out of oil and be flying cars on Nitrogen by 2000.
Then it was the sharks are going to get us coincidently right when Jaws was out.
Then we are going into an "Ice Age" and we are all going to be in -40 all the time.
Then AIDS was going to ravage the world and we were all going to die.
Then the "Global Warming" crap started as a way to transfer money from the rich to the poor countries.
Then the Year 2000 was going to wipe out the entire banking system of the world and we would all be living in shack's in the wilderness like the 1600's.

Did I miss anything?

I do know that when I visit an indoor range I feel light headed and very queasy (similar to how I feel when I have to deal with the ex) after about 30 minutes, not sure if that is lead or something else so I avoid going there and only visit the outdoor range.
I love the sweet taste on my tongue after a long indoor range session.

Lead Azide is bonzer!

dwtim
08-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Lead oxide smoke from primers OTOH is fine enough to stay suspended for a long time and to get down into the lungs when inhaled.

Exactly.

To the original poster: You are standing in the way of the Global Jihad on Lead. Repent, infidel!

Seriously, though, I'd limit time in an indoor range due to the wisdom quoted in the text above. And TMJs are no fix. I melt range scrap, and even in a dirt berm they're pretty torn up from hitting rocks and other bullets. I would question the quality of the ventilation system if metallic lead is being blown back from a 50 foot or 25 yard backstop, to the firing line.

jack19512
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I may not be the sharpest tack in the box,but I cannot understand why someone would spend that much money to try to get elected to an office that pays $400,000 per year.

Uh, ego comes to mind, not to mention I've heard it say some people have more money than brains. If I used that logic toward myself with what little money I have than I guess I would be in trouble. :mrgreen: But not all of the money someone spends on trying to get elected is coming out of their pocket.

I know Bill and Hillary aren't broke so how much of their personal money do you think will go to pay off Hillary's campaign debts? I learn a lot about politics everyday of my life, it seems every building, every road, every bridge, every airport......etc...etc...has been named after one politician or another. :mad:

mike in co
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
if you get elected to a job, you never have to fill out a job application.

some of our politicians probably cannot write....

some would not get elected if they had to admit what they have done/not done in the past.

i think it is the retirement plan they are after......

mike in co

Buckshot
08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
..............Quite a few years back indoor ranges (at least in Calif) were required to have possitive air cirulation downrange. The supply side was from behind the shooters, flowing past them, downrange then exhausting. The main problem is the lead contained in the priming.

Re: Being elected to a public office as envisioned by the founders of this country was supposed to been an onerous chore. To paraphrase them, "It would take a man away from his farm, business, or other livelyhood (Gee, ya mean they were supposed to be PRODUCERS!? and away from thier families on occassion.

The other thing is, the congress should not spend as much time as it does sitting in session. The vast bulk of their time should be out amongst their constituents. Possibly seeing how life is and really works.

...............Buckshot

Just Duke
08-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I DEMAND! ALL HAZARDOUS WHEEL WEIGHTS BE COLLECTED AND BROUGHT TO ME FOR SAFE EPA DISPOSAL.

:castmine: :roll:

Southern Son
08-14-2008, 04:09 AM
I am in a job that exposes me to a great deal more than one idiot a day. It has left me with a new theory, based on Darwins theory of evolution. I call it Devolution. Think about it, we are the only species that encorages our weak, stupid and lazy to breed. If you are a lion and you won't hunt, you get booted from the pride and go hungry, if you are some complete idiot and you won't work, the government throws money at you, and if you have children, then they will give you more money, with no real proviso that you spend the money on the kids. If a mouse decides to attack a cat, the mouse is removed from the gene pool, if some idiot picks a fight with the cops and gets his **** handed to him, he can sue the cops for belting him, the people who trained the cops for teaching the cops how to belt him and the government for letting him start the fight. If a lemming throws itself of a cliff, it goes splat and a seagull gets a feed, but if some complete and total fool decides to ride on the top of a train and he gets injured, then it is the railway company's fault because they didn't hire someone to sit next to the idiot and stop him from doing it.

We seem to be working very hard to protect these fools from harm. There are warnings on everything to protect these types of people but we should be encoraging them to get out of the gene pool.

Bret4207
08-14-2008, 05:26 AM
I strongly object to the premise of this post. I happen to know for a fact that I am at least twice as ignorant as a lot of the people I meet. My lawyer will be contacting your lawyer......

leadeye
08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
I agree with Buckshot, congress should stay in their states/districts. Communication has improved a lot since the 1700s so there really is no excuse to meet in Washington. It would sure make it tough on the influence peddlers, they would have to travel all over the country.

Ricochet
08-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Are we not men?

We are DEVO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devo

BOOM BOOM
08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
HI,
The year after Calif. banned Pb bullets. The fish & game went & made to Poncegons (our best area for trophy big game) full Cu bullets only. No public notice or input to my knowledge. Can not even use a normal J-bullet.
PINKO COMMIE FAGGOTS!:Fire:

johnho
08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Some more things we were told:
Butter is bad and margerine is good-now the opposite
alar treatment on apples was bad and ruined the apple industry one year-later it was found to not tobe bad
DDT was banned because scientists claimed it harmed eagle egg shells, mosquitos flurished and DDt found not to harm eggs shells
PCB's are the worst thing we ever invented-show me one person who died from handling PCB's
I love the ice age prediction, I remember that one well

And we can believe the scientists and doctors today about what they say????????? Hardly. Global warming man made-hah. But, everyone is piling on that mantra, even McCain, so expect some real legislation on that next.

Southern Son
08-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Ricochette, now you have me real worried mate. When Devo was forming together as a band, I was learning to ride a bicycle, the only thing we ever heard from those weirdos was their big hit Wip It. But here I am, about 3 decades later, putting forward the same theory. I now have a new theory, Stupid is Contagious, and unfortuneately, I have caught it through over exposure to idiots. I am now no better than a group of persons whos greatest acomplishment was to repetitively sing the words "whip it, whip it good." If things keep progressing, I will be as dumb as Brittney Spears buy the end of the month, and the next stage is turning into a cabbage............................... or could that be the other way around?

Bodine
08-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Obviously the stupid and ignorant are turning into vegetables, but I think there is a direct link to the recent e-coli outbreak.
Lets see if this makes sense..
If the stupid and ignorant are turning into vegetables, it would be logical to ascertain that some will turn into cabbage, some into celery, some into tomatoes and some into peppers.. So with this logic in mind it would also be logical to assume that a good portion of these idiots are full of ****.
So if the stupid idiots are turning into vegetables then it would be logical to assume that these vegetables are contaminated with e-coli by virtue of these morons having **** for brains!

trickg
08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Here's one for you - I was driving home last night from work on a 6 lane highway (3 per side) and we had late afternoon scattered thunderstorms. At one point a big bolt of lightning hit off of the road, I'd guess about 200 yards away. It was pretty close all things considered, but not seriously close. As soon as it hit, no less than 4 people in front of me jumped on their brakes. I'm not sure what they were hoping to accomplish with that or even why they would do it other than it was a brainless, knee-jerk reaction to the fear induced by the lightning.

lurch
08-23-2008, 11:58 PM
You guys better hush up about the lead compounds in primer dust... I bet some overly concerned politician/green whacko makes a run at those before long... I guess the bright side is that we'd all get to have fun working up new loads for whatever (if anything is allowed - explosives are strictly verboten you know) we get to replace then...

I don't remember who said it, but paraphrasing:

"The effect of shielding men from their own stupidity is to fill the world with fools."

I think we are well on our way toward that end. :roll:

leftiye
08-24-2008, 01:49 AM
"The effect of shielding men from their own stupidity is to fill the world with fools." Lurch - Absolutely, so how are the fools/airheads supposed to ever learn to keep their hands off of a hot stove except by experience?

Youse guys tryin' ta give them airheads another way to get rid a us'ns?

Bad Karma
08-24-2008, 01:55 AM
I've been around lead so much I use my nose as a pencil. Lead is natural and I love lead more than gold. I can make any kind of boolit I want to and I have never gotten sick or show signs of becoming Nero. Lead is for men, greenie boolits are for pretenders.

S.R.Custom
08-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Welcome to the Misanthropes Club.... Now, piss off. ;) :mrgreen:

Word up. :drinks:

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2008, 07:33 AM
ya but it could explain why have the young kids i know go through life like they have 50 lbs of lead in there ass and are half brain dead!
Yeah, WW's that fall off of cars and lay alongside the roads are also killing everyone! :confused: Funny how millions of civil war boolits were dug up in pristine condition with the protective lead oxide on them. We should force everyone living near battlefields to move to Kalifornia! :mrgreen:
But then the liberals let their kids find the WW's and chew on them, why else are they brain dead?
I have been driving something for 56 years and never lost a WW. If what the jerks say is true, we should be able to pick up a life times supply of lead by walking the roads for a mile or so. They should be a foot deep. Parking lots should be full of them.
Back door gun control is all it is.

Steve Collins
08-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Never seen it. I don't have a TV. If I had a TV to interject humanity into my home/refuge I would have built a cobalt bomb by now.

Exactly! I have to deal with enough stupid people during the day; why do I want to watch more of them at night?

Besides, if you want to hear some REAL stupid people, listen to the people who call in to talk radio! Fully 90% percent of them are idiots!:shock: