PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Alaskans!

Ivantherussian03
08-13-2008, 02:04 AM
I am running out of powder, and I live in the Bush. I need a "LEGAL' way to get powder out to my location. Any ideas out there?

Lloyd Smale
08-13-2008, 07:59 AM
ups or fedex doesnt deliver to you?
I am running out of powder, and I live in the Bush. I need a "LEGAL' way to get powder out to my location. Any ideas out there?

dakotashooter2
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
How do you normally get your supplies? I'm assuming they are flown in by a bush pilot? I'm not sure a bush pilot would fall under the same transportation requirements as a common carrier. Wouldn't think there would be any reason you couldn't have it delivered to him by carrier then he could bring it to you.

scrapcan
08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Ivan,

You pay for 2 round trip tickets to where you are and I will figure out how to bring the powder with me! No really I will figure it out for a ticket for me and my wife to visit the alaskan frontier. Another question, will I need to bring a gun or can you provide when we get there.

all in jest, I hope some of your fellow alaskans can help you out.

Pepe Ray
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Ivanthe russian03;
Any of my friends in cosmopolitan Alaska would need more info before they could even suggest a solution.
P.M. your co-ordinates to me and I'll contact someone who may have some ideas. There shooter/hunters but NOT casters.
Pepe Ray

Bullshop Junior
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Ivan does that old DC6 tanker out of Fairbanks deliver fuel up there? If he does I kinda know the owner. I might be able to track him down and find out if he would/could carry some to ya.
I was once all by myself up at the Ivotuk strip after caribou north of the Brooks range. It was quiet calm and beautiful in one of the most remote places on earth. Just when I felt I had left the world behind and seemingly out of nowhere slipping between the only two hills on the tundra with wings nearly verticl to the ground came a roaring through that huge 4 engine monster. They were making a fuel drop for the research station there. That is kinda how I know him. While I was there I hiked out over the N-heads to the messa sight. Very interesting to find remnants of stone tools of the same material I have found in Montana and foregn to the area.
Well anyways I feel for ya brother and if I can help, God willing will.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Ivantherussian03
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
lets just say the way I did get the powder previously was illegal. Now I am married, and my life has changed, cant do illegal stuff any more.

The only way(I know) I can do it now requires me to be in Anchorage, which would make the powder expensive; having it shipped through the proper channels with the legal nicities observed.

So it is time to tap into the greater body knowledge of the Casting Board. Somewhere there is someone like who already solved this problem.

Ideally, I would like to call a business and have them ship the package with air cargo, and have all the laws observed, to which i could pay the fee required.

1Shirt
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Ivan, As a former Alaska Res, and was dumb enough to go back to the lower 48, I would love to be where you are and have your problem. That said, surely there is a bush pilot or two who would bring you in some for some kind of favor in return that you could work out. If I were you, I would make a couple of decisions: The first being to limit myself to say three powders or four, and then buy in large enough quantity to make the expense worth while. The second would be to buy 8 pounders which are the way to go in my opinion, and I would consider two of them to be 2400 and Unique which would offer a lot of flexability. As air cargo they could be shipped as ORM-D (Other Regulated Material-Cat. D), unless the feds have changed things again. Would also suggest that you buy primers in qty of at least 5000 at a time. (10 K would be better) Don't know exactly where you are, or when you can get into a town of any size, but you might work out a deal with somebody on this web who might be driving the Alcan and who would be willing to bring you up some stuff, if that is legal with the RCMP. I know I brought out 20 guns, and a hell of a lot of ammo in a cabover camper via Yukon Terr when I left via Haines. Was legal then, don't know about it now however. Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

GLL
08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Contact Bullshop !

Jerry

Ivantherussian03
08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I know a lot people around, but hating asking favors. Very few pilots fly straight from civilization to the Bush. Bush planes dont usually go over the Alaska Range.98 % of people use a jet. So bush pilots get to Anchorage the same way I do--on a jet.

I am going to ask the store manager if they can order; he is pretty good guy. They order ammunition.I wanna make order last a long while, get enough powder and primers out here. If that dont work start calling gun shops in Anchorage.

MtGun44
08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Just curiosity, but if you are that far out, how do you get on the net?

Bill

carpetman
08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
They have two cans tied together with a string and it produces an internet frequency---something to do with the Northern Lights.

08-15-2008, 12:19 AM
ivan,
You're best bet may be to piggy back an order through your local store like you suggested. The only problem is that they may only order ammo a few times a year.... as you know. Once there then not much of a problem getting a hold of it either by going to town or having a local bush plane drop off. Timely it ain't but may be the best way. Shoot, with a few gallons of blazo in the pontoons or in the cargo what's a little extra powder and primers :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Seriously, got to be a pain getting hazmat out there these days.... best wishes.