PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-230 Magnum Shot

Al_Bundy
10-28-2017, 03:06 AM
I've used straight magnum shot as my lead source for my 45-70 which at times came undersized but was okay with powdercoat. I recently picked up a 6 cavity Lee mold for 45acp but my problem is they are coming out way too large that wont pass through the sizer. I have to hammer them out with a punch. I read up on this and it could be the mold wasn't fully closed, the lead im using could be too hard to be sized or the temp of the alloy wasn't hot enough. I water quench my 45-70s but i didnt quench these 45s because i read you dont need hard bullets for pistols so i just let them air cool. When in the sizer i would have to use to much strength to get the first bullet up the die that the bullet pushing behind gets deformed. Any advice from the pros? im all ears

UPDATE: Not chambering, instead of making a new thread since this is the same bullet i'll ask here.

nvbirdman
10-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Seems like the first step would be to measure the boolit. Try it on the seam and ninety degrees from the seam. Tell us the results and we can go on from there.

Al_Bundy
10-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Seems like the first step would be to measure the boolit. Try it on the seam and ninety degrees from the seam. Tell us the results and we can go on from there.

i forgot to share the measurements, they were running over .460. Going to try again in a few minutes ill keep an eye on the mold being closed.

runfiverun
10-28-2017, 07:21 PM
460?
I'd just use them in the 45-70 and get another mold.

if the mold was partially open you'd have a measurement more like 453x460.

just an FYI magnum shot ain't what it used to be.
it now runs the gamut from 2% antimony to 4% unless your buying Remington STS or Winchester AA shot.
most of the bagged shot is around 3% except Eagle brand it's less than 2%

Al_Bundy
10-28-2017, 08:47 PM
460?
I'd just use them in the 45-70 and get another mold.

if the mold was partially open you'd have a measurement more like 453x460.

just an FYI magnum shot ain't what it used to be.
it now runs the gamut from 2% antimony to 4% unless your buying Remington STS or Winchester AA shot.
most of the bagged shot is around 3% except Eagle brand it's less than 2%

casting session went well and the six cavity is now dropping 452's and the 454's size very easily.

dondiego
10-29-2017, 03:39 PM
It doesn't hurt to use a little lube prior to sizing boolits either.