PDA

View Full Version : Ideal 450 229 08B?

jaegerstutzen
10-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Recently acquired this flat nose minie mould. In what gun would it have been shot in? Been shooting .58 minies for years but never heard of this one.

Bent Ramrod
10-27-2017, 10:30 AM
The 450229 is for .44 cap and ball revolvers. If you have a good one, you will notice a tiny rebate on the bottom of the base band that allows the boolit to start straight into the chambers of the revolver.

Some of the moulds Lyman made didn’t have this step, so unless the base band was sized smaller, they would not go straight into the chambers and accuracy was minute-of-bad-guy at best. I got a 0.446” sizer for this job, but later sold the mould and still later acquired another one with the proper rebate.

Seated straight, they shoot almost as well as round balls, and if lubricated in the grooves you don’t have to smear lubricant over the chamber mouths after loading.

I’ve found they also shoot pretty well out of my Dad’s old 1911.

jaegerstutzen
10-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks ramrod for the reply. I was waiting to reply until I found my calipers. There was no obvious rebate on the mould. Now that I have my calipers can't find my mould. I was thinking that 229 was the bullet weight but that is not the case. It is 180. Was hoping to develop a heavy load for my dragoon. By the way it is an Ideal mould Jaeger

Valley-Shooter
11-14-2017, 02:35 AM
By the way it is an Ideal mould Jaeger

No, Ideal became Lyman.